PDA

View Full Version : Downloading BB 4.5 from a Mac

driller2750
09-30-2008, 09:22 PM
What procedure do I need to follow to download the latest OS for BB 8310 from Pocketmac for Blackberry. Is it the same a from Desktop manager for a PC ? Is there a vendor.xml or equilivent file I need to delete before downloading ?

ifonline
09-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Can't be done, I'm afraid. The OS is packaged in an exe file (Windows only), and OS installation requires Desktop Manager (also Windows only). Best bet is VMWare Fusion (or equivalent) and a copy of Windows XP or Vista.

gdbjr
09-30-2008, 09:37 PM
There isn't one. There is no software that will allow you to upgrade your BB on a mac. You either need to install Parallels or VMware fusion and run windows on your mac or find a friend with a mac and upgrade your bb.

dynamicrockstar469
09-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Wirelessly posted

Yep... Even though rim "promised" mac support

ifonline
09-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Wirelessly posted

Yep... Even though rim "promised" mac support

Promised for next year... so they still have a bit of time left. :razz:

RedSoxFan
10-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Take your device to the Verizon, ATT store or whichever carrier you are with and they will update it for you. I am with Verizon and I just had mine updated the other day.........free.

CO_BBTechie
10-03-2008, 04:59 PM
If you go the carrier-upgrade route, I'd make sure you've got a good recent backup!

penguin3107
10-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Take your device to the Verizon, ATT store or whichever carrier you are with and they will update it for you. I am with Verizon and I just had mine updated the other day.........free.

I sincerely doubt that any carrier is going to willingly upgrade a device using an OS from another carrier. The OP is looking to upgrade to OS 4.5, which hasn't even been released for any US carriers yet.

ewh01
10-03-2008, 06:28 PM
There is no (current) Mac installer. I use windoze either on my Bootcamp partition or through Fusion. I've done mine and a friends flawlessly, Pearl & Curve.

If you don't have Fusion or parallels, and/or are not familiar with "Shared drives/folders" the best bet is to download the 4.5 system software to a flash drive, then mount the flash drive in windows. Run the .exe, DON'T launch Desktop Manager (oh yea, you'll need DM on the windoze partitons, too) then delete the vendor.xml file. Connect the BB, run the DM and it should look for and run the software updater. Let it run it's course, you'll think it's hung or froze..LEAVE IT ALONE. It takes 15-30 minutes to complete.

If you are looking for Docs-To-Go, you need to manually enable in the (I think) "advanced" button on the screen that gives the info on what it's going to change.

You should see the familiar installer check-box type window, scroll down, it's there somewhere. If you get the back-up options window, it's in the other one.

I think that should cover it. If I missed anything, others please fill in the blanks, writing from memory....

daseff
10-14-2008, 08:24 PM
If I take my Curve to the Verizon store... will they really do an OS update for free?
I read somewhere else that they'll simply turn you away.
And is updating to 4.5 from 4.3 a big deal, or necessary? I'll have access to my Windows PC around Thanksgiving...
Thanks for any advice!

Heavy Fluid
10-14-2008, 09:40 PM
I don't think that Verizon has released 4.5 yet.