PDA

View Full Version : Google maps through WiFi connection

fmaldonadov
10-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Hi guys,

I've recently got a BB 8120 pearl but i didn't suscribe a data plan. I've been reading many threads but i didn't get a clear answer so, my question is:

is it possible to use google maps without a data connection (using only WiFi connection)? if yes How? I've been reading about UMA , service books, HETbut i am new on BB so i am quite lost and thoose words sounds me strange.

Thank you for your help

Dubdub
10-01-2008, 09:30 AM
Short answer - Nope. GoogleMaps (and BBMaps) download map data as you move. therefore a WiFi/Hotspot connection won't do you much good. You should checkout the GPS section for more info.

You really need a BB data plan to get the most out of the device. Read the FAQ article on my you need a data plan.

dmacd
10-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Short answer - Nope. GoogleMaps (and BBMaps) download map data as you move. therefore a WiFi/Hotspot connection won't do you much good. You should checkout the GPS section for more info.

You really need a BB data plan to get the most out of the device. Read the FAQ article on my you need a data plan.

Quite right that using Google Maps or BBMaps through WiFi won't allow you to use those apps 'on the move', as you'll soon be out of range of the WiFi, but they will work with WiFi. You can use the map apps to look things up.

fmaldonadov
10-02-2008, 03:06 AM
Thank you for your answers. Of course, i know maps are not going to work "on the move" but only where i was covered by a WiFi signal (e.g. at home). However, even when i am connected to a WiFi network my Google Maps application tells me i need a data connection and does not start. So i am wondering why. I have read about people that was able to do this but i don't know how. am i missing somehing important??

Regards

dmacd
10-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Thank you for your answers. Of course, i know maps are not going to work "on the move" but only where i was covered by a WiFi signal (e.g. at home). However, even when i am connected to a WiFi network my Google Maps application tells me i need a data connection and does not start. So i am wondering why. I have read about people that was able to do this but i don't know how. am i missing somehing important??

Regards

Seems to work for me. Are you using the latest Google Maps (version 2.3.1)? Can you use the BB Browser through WiFi - with the phone turned off?

cctraderx
10-02-2008, 09:28 AM
dmacd - do you have a service plan?

I think you need to have a plan and then the service books are on your machine and then you can use the aps.

dmacd
10-02-2008, 10:22 AM
dmacd - do you have a service plan?

I think you need to have a plan and then the service books are on your machine and then you can use the aps.

Yes I do. I think you are right - a service plan is probably required.

fmaldonadov
10-03-2008, 04:07 AM
Hi guys, thanks for your help. I've just switched off the gprs connection so my only access right now is through my office Wifi signal. I can surf the web with the browser although google maps in not still working. However the app is not showing the error message, just keeps waiting loading (version is 2.3.1, i downloaded it from google site). Sorry about my ignorance but What is a service plan? What are service books?

fmaldonadov
10-03-2008, 04:08 AM
and how can i get them if necesary?

dkchong
10-03-2008, 06:30 PM
I've the same problem w/ Google Map. Currently, I own the 8320 with T-Mobile provider. Every time I click on the icon, it loads about 1/5 of the way. Then, It says that I don't have the data connection. I've no problem browse around the web through Wi-Fi. I don't have the data plan. Your helps and feedback are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Trimix
10-03-2008, 11:05 PM
You need a data plan in order to use any of the map applications -- Google or BlackBerry. Wifi won't work with them.