PDA

View Full Version : System Password

The_Stig
10-03-2008, 07:55 AM
When I connect my device to my PC with Desktop Manager v4.6 it asked me for my device password, is this a default password because I've tried entering the password that I use to unlock the device and it won't take it but I obviously don't want to try all 10 attempts if I'm missing the obvious...

juwaack68
10-03-2008, 08:03 AM
That is whatever password you use to unlock your device when the keyboard is locked. Do you know what that password is?

The_Stig
10-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Aha, I've figured it out, when I was hitting the keys that double up as the keypad I thought I was typing letters when my password was actually numbers :-)

juwaack68
10-03-2008, 08:10 AM
That'll do it :-)

holden
10-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Aha, I've figured it out, when I was hitting the keys that double up as the keypad I thought I was typing letters when my password was actually numbers :-)

I had to laugh at this as it can become quite a situation. For us at work, it is usually the other way around... Users think their password is numbers but in fact, it is letters when unlocking the device unless they are holding the alt key on the BB when they unlock... ;-) When they enter their password on the computer keyboard, it will not unlock and creates unhappy BB users.:x We get this all the time at work!:smile:

The_Stig
10-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Just out of interest what happens after your 10th attempt?

I'm now trying to upload and install software for the first time :-S

juwaack68
10-03-2008, 08:42 AM
After 10 attempts when the device is not connected to your PC, all data will be wiped.

If the device is connected to your PC, after 10 attempts all data and applications are wiped.

The_Stig
10-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Oh, nice... thats something to keep in mind.

As a side note, when I try to install something from my desktop using the application installer I constantly get a warning that "digital signatures were invalid" is this usual?

holden
10-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Oh, nice... thats something to keep in mind.

As a side note, when I try to install something from my desktop using the application installer I constantly get a warning that "digital signatures were invalid" is this usual?

It gives you enough warnings. Yet, I had an upper manager who plowed through all the attempts on a weekend after he forgot his password. (remember, you have to put "Blackberry" in 3 times!!!):-(

To answer your question - No, this is not unusual. If the device has not been manually connected for some time, this is normal...

H.

juwaack68
10-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Digital signatures were invalid can also mean that the application you are trying to install using Desktop Manager is not allowed by IT Policy (the policy is forbidding it).

The_Stig
10-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Oh, well... its just me and my blackberry on my computer we don't run an exhange server at work... I just plugged it into the USB and uploaded the software using the device manager, I then assumed it would load it up correctly.