PDA

View Full Version : BlackBerry Bold GPS map?

BruceCheng
10-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Is the GPS maps of BlackBerry Bold preloaded into the BlackBerry device? Or is there a way to preload all maps of US and Canadian cities into BlackBerry bold?

If we need to download on the fly from wireless carrier, that will be too expensive to use that BlackBerry GPS in other cities. Then that GPS feature is basically useless. I'd rather buy a separate GPS device instead of upgrading my current BlackBerry to BlackBerry Bold.

Dubdub
10-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Check the sticky in the GPS section. There are reviews of many map applications. Might be one or two that can be loaded on the BB or SD card. Such a database however will most likely consume a lot of room, and it is still somewhat limited on the device itself. Storing on the SD card is probably the better option.

On most BB's you cannot store map data as it is downloaded as yo uneed it - as is the case with GoogleMaps, BBMaps and most others. And you need a BB data plan to do it.

IMHO, if you really need the GPS info, the best option is to get a standalone GPS device. Not only does it have the capability to store map info, but adds POI info, voice commands and auto-reroute. Given the recent price decreases,they are very much affordable.

takeshi
10-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Is the GPS maps of BlackBerry Bold preloaded into the BlackBerry device?
Depends on the GPS app you're talking about. There isn't just one GPS app for any of the BB models. Definitely refer to the GPS forum. There are 1 or 2 apps that allow you to store maps on the BB itself but they're regarded by most to not be worth the hassle.

If we need to download on the fly from wireless carrier, that will be too expensive to use that BlackBerry GPS in other cities. Then that GPS feature is basically useless.
Depends on your situation, I guess. We have unlimited data in the US and the option for unlimited international data. I guess you don't have either choice though. It's certainly far from useless to everyone. I use Telenav all the time while traveling. In fact, I just got back from driving 3,500 miles across Texas, New Mexico and Colorado exclusively using Telenav the entire time -- not only for navigating to specific addresses but to locate businesses and so on.