PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry help to turn on - I've looked everywhere

katecrooke
10-05-2008, 09:59 AM
I have a brand new BlackBerry. I left the wall charger in another city, but it's being mailed to me.

In the meantime, I've been able to charge it by plugging it into one of my computer's USB ports no problem.

Last night it was nearly dead when I fell asleep, so it must have died completely. So this morning I've had it plugged in for hours, but I can't get it to switch on either when it's plugged into my computer or not.

When I plug it in, the red light at the top goes on. But it does that even when the battery is not in.

I've tried taking the battery out numerous times, but nothing.

Nothing shows up on my computer (or on the BlackBerry itself) when I plug it into my computer anymore. So I can't access it on my computer.

Everything I've looked at online has mentioned a flashing red light, but this one is steady.

Any ideas out there? I'm hoping it's something silly that I don't know how to do. I don't have the cash to get it fixed or the time to wait for a new one. Any advice is helpful.

Thanks. xx

holden
10-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Hi...

What desktop manager to you have installed?

H.

ezrunner
10-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Wirelessly posted (off to see the wizard)

If it died completely it may need the home charger to charge. I have had this happen and usb never got it to come back but once charged with home charger no problem

JSanders
10-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Wirelessly posted (8310; Category 5)

Install Desktop Manager which will provide the needed USB port drivers that are needed to power the USB for the BlackBerry to charge. Then give it several hours to charge, and while still plugged into the USB, remove the battery and reinsert to reboot the BlackBerry.
Good luck.

katecrooke
10-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Ah cool, thank you that's good news.

The more I've read, the more I was afraid it was a bit of a dud phone, and I'd have to get it replaced. But I'll just wait patiently for the proper the charger, and then I'll try it again.

Thanks! xx

katecrooke
10-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Yeah I didn't set up a desktop manager I'm afraid. Could that be part of the problem?

I'd just been plugging it into my MacBook Pro to charge. I was able to mess around with my media files too because it would open up when I'd plug it in.

I'm not sure if that answers your question...?

JSanders
10-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Wirelessly posted (8310; Category 5)

On a Mac, you will need to PocketMac to install.
Seeing your Media Card is good, so it is connected.

katecrooke
10-05-2008, 10:46 AM
PocketMac... okay, I'll have a look.

Yeah I was able to access my media card when it was plugged in before. Now, unfortunately, I see nothing though.

My power cable ought to be here by mid-week, so I guess I'll hold out hope that'll do the trick...

Thanks again, everyone. I'll keep checking back while I try to pretend I'm not freaking out about it. Hahaha. x

katecrooke
10-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Yep, it was the charger. Once I got the wall one, it worked fine.

Thanks, ezrunner, it seems that you can't charge it from absolute zero with the usb cable.

And thanks to everyone for being so helpful. xx