PDA

View Full Version : 7100t OS 3.8.0.142 now available

bollar
10-20-2004, 11:20 PM
FYI, T-Mobile has released an update to the 7100t handheld software. It's version (3.8.0.142). I have no idea what it does, but the application loader reports that the following applications are updated:

BlackBerry 3.8 System Software
BlackBerry 3.8 Core Applications
BlackBerry API Library
BlackBerry Crypto 1 Library
BlackBerry Crypto 2 Library
GPRS Enhanced Roaming Enabler
User Interface

The software is available here: http://www.t-mobileapps.com/downloadcenter/software_list.cfm?selDevice=11

masonfoley
10-21-2004, 12:13 AM
Okay...I'm goin' in!

I'll let you all know if I come out the other side... :wink:

WorldIRC
10-21-2004, 12:25 AM
Woooh.. that much closer to 4.0!

ajaygoel
10-21-2004, 12:34 AM
I downloaded and installled it -- but it still says version ....128 and 140? Even though the ZIP files ends with 128, the version inside looks to be still the old one.

Am I missing something? :shock: (n)

masonfoley
10-21-2004, 12:41 AM
I'm in the same boat. I have 128, not 142 as implied by the file. :(

masonfoley
10-21-2004, 12:59 AM
After prowling around, this appears to be newer. The first thing I checked was the speakerphone icon bug and that appears to be corrected. I'll let ajaygoel comment further since he was aware of other bugs that I wasn't familiar with.

This Cardinal fan congratulates the Red Sox. What a moment!

MacFly
10-21-2004, 01:14 AM
yup, i have the same issue! DL'ed hoping it would be 142, but it's still 128.

quick question, i'm trying to upgrade my desktop software.....excuse my ignorance, but can someone show me how it's done?! i'd like to upgrade to 14.

thx in advance!

WorldIRC
10-21-2004, 01:20 AM
any major differences?

p_action
10-21-2004, 03:48 AM
desktop software doesn't look any different...still same version number in about box.

I do concur that the phone firmware seems to be newer despite the same version number reporting...aka speakerphone bug fixed! =)

that's all I needed at this point anyway.

Also now all my OS is showing up in my applications folder in the settings, where it didn't from the factory. Interesting...

-- Peter

jbeers
10-21-2004, 04:03 AM
With this install (1st pass) I lost phone, browser & download fun icons. From Apps, lost tasks, notepad, and brickbreaker. From settings, lost help file. All this despite backup and restore of data. Turns out that the default upgrade checkmarks are set to REMOVE them.

details:
downloaded both install files. Desktop mgr is 3.6.3.10, not .14! Before upgrade, I was on V. 3.8.0.112 (platform 1.8.0.83) kernel v. 3.8.0.18. After upgrade, on V. 3.8.0.128 (platform 1.8.0.91) Kernel v 3.8.0.18.

So how did I get my browser, phone , and other application icons back? I just went back into desktop manager, rechecked them, and reinstalled them. Whew, what a heart attack! Not cool to find out that without the phone icon, you cant make calls! :o

By the way, this new os fixed a bug where the phone's incoming caller ID was in tiny font. Yeah. :D

jibi
10-21-2004, 08:09 AM
the desktop software is the same that the handset came with on the CD (which is equiv to 3.6 SP3, i believe). the latest, from RIM, is 3.6 SP3a (3.6.3.11). i'm not sure what the discrepancy is for the ending version numbers, but i'd never get my desktop software from the service provider ;)

bollar
10-21-2004, 08:15 AM
It's not the same version number!

The old version number was 3.8.0.112.
The new version number is 3.8.0.128.

3.8.0.142 is the package number which is apparently unique to the carrier. It's confusing, but RIM has different versions for packages and the applications contained in them.

bimmer10
10-21-2004, 08:26 AM
For some reason after I install the new software the software version does not change, it still shows 3.8.0.112.

Hmmm

bollar
10-21-2004, 08:28 AM
For some reason after I install the new software the software version does not change, it still shows 3.8.0.112.

Did you run the Application Loader in the Desktop Manager?

callaway
10-21-2004, 08:31 AM
Installing it now, but had to delete the vendor.xml file to do so. Thoughts about the upgrade:

- Hope it still works with my foreign language (German) add-on from the Vodaphone package

- Hope fixes my "freezing" of my Jabra 250

Will post results ...

bimmer10
10-21-2004, 08:55 AM

I sure did and nothing, for some reason its not detecting the new software update available on my computer. When I open the app loader and I get the menu with the installed apps the system software and core applications is greyed out. Also, when I click on the details for these items and then modules, it only shows the 3.8.0.112 for both installed and available versions.

bollar
10-21-2004, 08:58 AM

I sure did and nothing, for some reason its not detecting the new software update available on my computer. When I open the app loader and I get the menu with the installed apps the system software and core applications is greyed out. Also, when I click on the details for these items and then modules, it only shows the 3.8.0.112 for both installed and available versions.
Perhaps deleting the vendor.xml file and reinstalling will work. Look for the file in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and delete it if it exists.

bimmer10
10-21-2004, 08:58 AM

Perhaps deleting the vendor.xml file and reinstalling will work. Look for the file in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and delete it if it exists.

BINGO! Thank you very much updating as I type. Thanks!

koolio
10-21-2004, 09:46 AM
details:
downloaded both install files. Desktop mgr is 3.6.3.10, not .14! Before upgrade, I was on V. 3.8.0.112 (platform 1.8.0.83) kernel v. 3.8.0.18. After upgrade, on V. 3.8.0.128 (platform 1.8.0.91) Kernel v 3.8.0.18.

So how did I get my browser, phone , and other application icons back? I just went back into desktop manager, rechecked them, and reinstalled them. Whew, what a heart attack! Not cool to find out that without the phone icon, you cant make calls! :o

By the way, this new os fixed a bug where the phone's incoming caller ID was in tiny font. Yeah. :D

Just upgraded both the desktop software and the O/S and noticed the same version inconsistency as jbeers. I don't think my desktop software/manager was actually upgraded b/c the version number was still xxx.10. Anyways, everything worked without a hitch but I haven't had time to test if the bugs in the previous version were fixed.

Jbeers, thanks for the tip on making sure I had browser, phone, etc. checked when upgrading to the new O/S. (y)

bollar, FWIW, I didn't have to delete the vendor.xml file. Instead, after downloading xxx.142, I just double-clicked the executable (before connecting my handheld to the pc). After that installed, when I connected my handheld, it automatically asked me to upgrade the O/S and everything went smoothly.

obijohn
10-21-2004, 10:30 AM

Will post results ...

Nope. I can verify that the upgrade DOES NOT fix the BT problem. I just tested it, and the phone still crashes.

MacFly
10-21-2004, 10:34 AM

Will post results ...

Nope. I can verify that the upgrade DOES NOT fix the BT problem. I just tested it, and the phone still crashes.

i have a BT250 and have not used it with my BB, will try and see if i have the same issue.

jibi
10-21-2004, 10:54 AM
setup.exe for Desktop Manager Software:
File Version - 3.6.3.10

This is the same version number as BBDM 3.6 SP3. Again, SP3a is the latest version (available from RIM), which is 3.6.3.11. There does NOT appear to be a 3.6.3.14 version of the software available (may just be a typo by TMO or they are getting ahead of RIM).

Fireproof
10-21-2004, 11:12 AM
I too had to delete vendor.xml to get it to work...

MacFly
10-21-2004, 11:13 AM
File Version - 3.6.3.10

This is the same version number as BBDM 3.6 SP3. Again, SP3a is the latest version (available from RIM), which is 3.6.3.11. There does NOT appear to be a 3.6.3.14 version of the software available (may just be a typo by TMO or they are getting ahead of RIM).

can you pls link to me to the link site where this version is available for DL'ing?

thx!~

map
10-21-2004, 11:38 AM
On the whole BT thing, I can tell you that my BT200 was crashing the phone as well. I went to a TMo store and tried one of their Motorola BT headsets and it worked fine. So, I bought a Motorola 810 on eBay and sold my BT200 on eBay as well. I have no issues now - I am convinced that there is something about the Jabra products that the RIM does not like. My guess is that a fix will not be coming anytime soon as this issue likely affects a small number of users only. My suggestion...lose the Jabra and get a Motorola...

Hayswj
10-21-2004, 11:48 AM
You can go to www.tmobile.com/bbupgrade for the files

MacFly
10-21-2004, 12:00 PM
You can go to www.tmobile.com/bbupgrade for the files

i meant on the blackberry.com site.

jbeers
10-21-2004, 12:14 PM
See my post above. After I reinstalled phone and other "removed" apps, I got full function and data back, but the "download fun" icon did not reappear with the browser icon. Can anyon help tell me how to get it back with bookmarks (I have a backup of working system)?

Additional details: Puchased 7100t at T-mobile, unlocked it, then "ported" old cell number from ATT. The download fun icon dissappeared once before when I put in an ATT sim, then reappeared with its bookmarks when a 2nd T-mobile chip inserted. It was there until the OS upgrade. Since has not reappeared, but I thought it was just a time thing. Having trouble getting into "http://downloadfun.wap.t-mobile.com" site using phone browser as well.

Any thoughts? I think this icon and bookmarks are pushed to phone based on some trigger? Did I erase a certificate? Is it possible the server is down?

jibi
10-21-2004, 12:33 PM
i would say they have something like hosts-allow setup for the download fun wap site, imo. this is just a hunch though...

as for the website for the RIM software, just go to http://www.blackberry.com/support/index.shtml then to Service Packs and choose BlackBerry Desktop Software v3.6 then download the latest one (SP3a).

also, for anyone wanting to know what this update fixes:

- Previously, in some situations, if you roamed outside of an area of
sufficient wireless coverage, and then returned to an area of sufficient
wireless coverage, your handheld might not have regained GPRS service
without a reset
- Previously, on the Active Call screen, if the Bluetooth radio was
turned off, active <headset> appeared. The handheld incorrectly
displayed active <headset>, even though the Bluetooth radio was turned
off.
- Previously, if you activated the speaker during a call, and then ended
the call when the speaker was still activated, the next time that you
received a call on your handheld, the speaker icon appeared on the Home
screen, even though the speaker was not activated.
- Previously, occasionally, if you were connected to a call and you were
using the headset, when you disconnected the headset, your handheld
still attempted to use the headset.
- Previously, if you made an emergency call when your handheld was
locked, the handheld displayed "Emergency Call 112"
- Previously, if there was a 1900 MHz network presence, the handheld
might not have scanned the 900 MHz band.
- Previously, if you changed a setting in one of your notification
profiles, a Java exception error might have appeared
- Possible fix (not completely tested yet by RIM), If you pause a midlet
and then resume it, the midlet screen is not displayed.

Hummer
10-21-2004, 01:58 PM
I ran the install and it did not install on my handheld. I deleted the destop software and reinstalled the new version and it picked up the new files for the handheld.

Also, at the end of the install I received the eternal houglass while trying to reload my backup. I left the phone plugged in and turned it off, removed the battery, and reinstalled the battery. The phone came on and finished loading the backup. It seems fine{just like before the install}.

koolio
10-21-2004, 02:02 PM
I ran the install and it did not install on my handheld. I deleted the destop software and reinstalled the new version and it picked up the new files for the handheld.

Also, at the end of the install I received the eternal houglass while trying to reload my backup. I left the phone plugged in and turned it off, removed the battery, and reinstalled the battery. The phone came on and finished loading the backup. It seems fine{just like before the install}.

I, too, had the eternal hourglass during the reloading of my backup but I just left it be and it eventually rebooted and finished the upgrade. I think mine was showing the hourglass for about 2mins or so.

jbeers
10-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Ok, heres the skinny on recovering your wap T-zones capability after you install the new OS & restore data..

You don't need to install anything else. Just go to tools/settings/hostRoutingTable and click the wheel. Highlight the entry in bold, click for a menu, and select "register now". Poof - your T-zones bookmarks reappear, along with the "downloadFun" desktop icon. I got this tip from Blackberry Tech support.

By the way, dont waste your time editing these wap preferences and setting bookmarks on the handheld. Log into t-mobile.com, go to MyT-zones, and configure the prefernces on your desktop. Your menus will be preconfigured when you register. 8) (y)

betabob
10-21-2004, 03:18 PM
I don't know if this is related to the upgrade or not, but I just noticed that my voicemail speedial (#1) no longer appears on my speedial list. When I try to recreate it, it asks for a related address book entry, which I don't have. I can certainly go into the address book and create a "Voicemail" entry, but is there a way to restore/recreate this entry without having to do so?

jibi
10-21-2004, 04:01 PM
same thing here bob.

also, has anyone noticed considerable data noise when using the phone? mine never made data noise until i upgraded and now its rather annoying!

ainvar
10-21-2004, 04:16 PM
So after running the update and it ets to the second to last step of "Connect to Handheld" my 7100t gets an error message of "JUM Error 544" and then asks me to reset. I have tried to reset it 4 times by removing cable and battery.

I guess I have a paper weight now.

bollar
10-21-2004, 04:17 PM
File Version - 3.6.3.10

can you pls link to me to the link site where this version is available for DL'ing?

thx!~

https://www.blackberry.com/SoftwareDownload/user.jsp?code=NgIMx5mCNqk%3D

mchilders
10-21-2004, 04:29 PM
I don't know if this is related to the upgrade or not, but I just noticed that my voicemail speedial (#1) no longer appears on my speedial list. When I try to recreate it, it asks for a related address book entry, which I don't have. I can certainly go into the address book and create a "Voicemail" entry, but is there a way to restore/recreate this entry without having to do so?

I had the same problem. To get you voicemail entry back. Make sure location 1 is cleared. Then just pull the battery and restart. It will put it back on the reboot.
-Mark

jibi
10-21-2004, 04:45 PM

I had the same problem. To get you voicemail entry back. Make sure location 1 is cleared. Then just pull the battery and restart. It will put it back on the reboot.
-Mark

i just figured out my issue with the odd data noise while on calls. its because the speaker remains on the entire time. you can end the call, turn the phone off, turn the wireless off, etc and it still pushes air through the speaker. removing the battery also fixes this issue...

betabob
10-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Thanks mchilders....that did the trick!

mk1151
10-21-2004, 05:45 PM
:idea:
This SW has fixed more than just the speakerphone. I have a proprietary application on my device that I needed to patch on the previous version of 7100t code even though it worked fine on the 7280. Now, the original version of the SW works on the 7100t without needing the patch....

It seems that they fixed the JVM also.

Anyone have some release notes on this code?

jumpmonger23
10-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Anyone have some release notes on this code?

From a member on Rimroad, not sure where he got it from:

without a reset
off.

Hummer
10-21-2004, 05:51 PM
i would say they have something like hosts-allow setup for the download fun wap site, imo. this is just a hunch though...

as for the website for the RIM software, just go to http://www.blackberry.com/support/index.shtml then to Service Packs and choose BlackBerry Desktop Software v3.6 then download the latest one (SP3a).

also, for anyone wanting to know what this update fixes:

without a reset
off.

rmarquez
10-21-2004, 08:19 PM
jbeers:

Thanks for the tip - I entered the bookmarks online and they appeared under the Bookmarks submenu of T-Zones. A nice compromise until someone figures out a way (or RIM allows us) to delete those predefined bookmarks and populate them with our own choices.

Speaking of - can someone confirm that the desktop software Service Pack 3 is what TMobile advertises as 3.6.14? I tried downloading the new handheld software version with the old desktop manager and it wouldn't even recognize it until I installed the new version on the TMo site...

Cheers

Ok, heres the skinny on recovering your wap T-zones capability after you install the new OS & restore data..

You don't need to install anything else. Just go to tools/settings/hostRoutingTable and click the wheel. Highlight the entry in bold, click for a menu, and select "register now". Poof - your T-zones bookmarks reappear, along with the "downloadFun" desktop icon. I got this tip from Blackberry Tech support.

By the way, dont waste your time editing these wap preferences and setting bookmarks on the handheld. Log into t-mobile.com, go to MyT-zones, and configure the prefernces on your desktop. Your menus will be preconfigured when you register. 8) (y)

bollar
10-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Desktop SP 3a is actually slightly newer than T-Mobile's version. It's .11

jibi
10-21-2004, 08:27 PM
i believe support for the 7100 came with 3.6.3.10 (3.6 SP3).

whoscalling
10-21-2004, 08:44 PM

I, too, had the eternal hourglass during the reloading of my backup but I just left it be and it eventually rebooted and finished the upgrade. I think mine was showing the hourglass for about 2mins or so.

I also updated and had the exact same experience. I was close to removing the battery but a little patience paid off. No need to remove battery.

betabob
10-21-2004, 08:49 PM
This update fixed another problem that has been nagging at me ever since I bought the 7100T, namely the fact that I could not get BWC to work correctly for me. The service book for Web Client always appeared as disabled, and I assumed this was due to some corporate policy that was set by my company (I have BES also). This prevented me from being able to do two-way synch with my BWC account, prevented me from replying to BWC mail on my BB, and prevented me from using the "more" function with BWC mail. After the upgrade the service book entry magically enabled itself, and all of these problems have gone away!

ScOObydoo
10-21-2004, 09:04 PM
This update fixed another problem that has been nagging at me ever since I bought the 7100T, namely the fact that I could not get BWC to work correctly for me. The service book for Web Client always appeared as disabled, and I assumed this was due to some corporate policy that was set by my company (I have BES also). This prevented me from being able to do two-way synch with my BWC account, prevented me from replying to BWC mail on my BB, and prevented me from using the "more" function with BWC mail. After the upgrade the service book entry magically enabled itself, and all of these problems have gone away!

That would be cool, as I'm having the same issue... Loading it as we speak...

Tanizaki
10-21-2004, 10:22 PM
During the install the process halted, saying it needed the password to my handheld. After 10 minutes with no progress I halted the installation. Now my handheld just displays a white screen displaying an icon of an application window with a circle with a line through it drawn over it. Beneath it reads "543". Do I need to return it to the store to get this remedied, or is this something I can fix myself?

bollar
10-21-2004, 10:36 PM
During the install the process halted, saying it needed the password to my handheld. After 10 minutes with no progress I halted the installation. Now my handheld just displays a white screen displaying an icon of an application window with a circle with a line through it drawn over it. Beneath it reads "543". Do I need to return it to the store to get this remedied, or is this something I can fix myself?
Discussed earlier today in this thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=9745#9745

sempai
10-21-2004, 11:13 PM
This sucks.

Tonight my 7100 was letting me do home-screen shortcuts. There were underscores on icons in the Home Screen which I had never seen before.

So I was really excited and then a message had made the 7100t blow up a few times, it kept crashing. Something about an Exception caught in Blah.

I should have written it down.

Regardless, I thought to myself "Well, I'll download this update, install it, and it must be something new and apparently there was an OTA or something?"

At any rate, my ability to hotkey into Messages, caLendar, Tasks, and such is gone again. Hah! What happened?

rcg
10-21-2004, 11:46 PM
This new package does nothing for me...

I install it. I run DM and it reports there is nothing to upgrade.

"about" still reports 3.8.0.112

All applications remain the same... What am I missing here?

emale
10-22-2004, 12:16 AM
for all those having problems upgrading to this new bundle. READ THIS

READ THE WHOLE THING BEFORE PROCEEDING.

goto add/remove programs and remove all handheld software.

then open windows explorer

goto C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files

Delete any folders in here.

Open your registry

goto: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\Common\Installations

Check any of the subkeys other then the desktop one, and if they say something like:
'v3.8.0.112 (Platform 1.8.0.87) for the BlackBerry 7100 Series Wireless Handhelds'
in the description field, delete that whole subkey.

Example: I would delete the whole folder key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Research In Motion\Common\Installations\{30DB8997-ACA5-4393-8029-05BD5E1FFC11}

Close the registry

Goto control panel, open system icon, click on hardware tab, click on device manager button, expand uinversal serial bus controllers, right click and goto properties on the usb root hub (do this for all of them), change to the Power management tab, uncheck: Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power

Now reinstall just the new handheld software on your PC

Then goto C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

and delete or rename the vendor.xml file.

Open Desktop Manager.

You will probably need to make sure everything is checked off to install, so if when you launch desktop manager it asks you to upgrade, hit cancel then go into application loader and make sure everything you need, gets installed.

If the handheld stays at an hourglass just leave it. it is better to wait it out and let desktop manager decide if it is dead.

If it is dead and you get an error on the handheld. ALL IS NOT LOST! keep trying.

Make sure you do as above mentioned:

Goto control panel, open system icon, click on hardware tab, click on device manager button, expand uinversal serial bus controllers, right click and goto properties on the usb root hub (do this for all of them), change to the Power management tab, uncheck: Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power

try running it through application loader again

If its difficult to detect the handheld at the start of the process pull the battery out and put it back in again as application loader is initially trying to connect to it, you want application loader to try to see the handheld when its in a certain stage of booting.

If it still fails download javaloader and wipe the handheld first then application load it again with desktop manager. (MAKE SURE to get an O/S on it quickly (30 mins or less) or take the battery out because it will drain t completely dead which isnt good)

***I assume no responsibility for any harm you do to your computer and/or BlackBerry following these steps.
If you are not comfortable using the regsitry or dont know what it is, it is probably best to just skip the steps requiring registry changes, as it probably isnt even necessary and the key more than likely wont exist.

Inphektion
10-22-2004, 12:28 AM
I upgraded 4 devices today, if i just uninstalled the old handheld software and installed the newer one it wouldn't recognize newer software at all. If I then just deleted the vendor.xml and tried again it detected it needed an upgrade right away.

skootrtmbg
10-22-2004, 10:49 AM
so it's sounding to me that
a)there is no ota download for this software
and
b) unless you have a pc and are pretty keen on previous BB messing around, that this is not worth installing

I'm computer savvy, but am much more skilled on a mac, and it seems like there would be no way in hell to do this without a pc...any advice?

Lucky Luciano
10-22-2004, 11:43 AM
To get the .128 upgrade I had to manually change the url from the t-mobile site from

http://www.t-mobileapps.com/downloadcenter/Software/BB_Handheld_7100t_3_8_0_112.exe

to

http://www.t-mobileapps.com/downloadcenter/Software/BB_Handheld_7100t_3_8_0_128.exe

*not links on purpose.

The desktop manager didn't automatically pick up that I needed an upgrade but deleting vendor.xml did the trick. I'm excited about the roaming upgrade because I've been getting awful service.

jibi
10-22-2004, 01:39 PM
they also updated the version number on the Desktop software as well...

http://www.t-mobileapps.com/downloadcenter/Software_Detail.cfm?ID=55

Inphektion
10-23-2004, 09:28 AM
so it's sounding to me that
a)there is no ota download for this software
and
b) unless you have a pc and are pretty keen on previous BB messing around, that this is not worth installing

I'm computer savvy, but am much more skilled on a mac, and it seems like there would be no way in hell to do this without a pc...any advice?

if you are saying this because you are overwhelmed by what emale said then don't be. Chances are you don't have to go through any of that. Just delete the vendor.xml file (search for it) and the upgrade will happen when you connect your device again to desktop manager.

ladrummer
10-23-2004, 04:34 PM
I went to the Tmobile upgrade site and it looks like they put it back to 3.8.0.112. Is it possible that .128 is too buggy or not ready to be relased yet?

Fireproof
10-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Oooh...that's interesting!! I haven't had any problems since installing 128 though.

jibi
10-23-2004, 04:40 PM
although they physically have it out there still..

http://www.t-mobileapps.com/downloadcenter/Software/BB_Handheld_7100t_3_8_0_128.exe

they are probably fixing some of the issues, such as the reported defaulted unchecks. :)

jtokaji
10-24-2004, 11:00 AM
This new upgrade ruined my reception. My house is in a particularly weak reception area of T-Mobile. My 7230 held it's ground with most phones I had, 7100 ver .112 little less so, ver .128 no service. Anyone else experienced more erratic reception with this new firmware? I also can't get my 7100 registered on network (no browser, no IM) T-Mobile's response: Wait a few days, maybe it will work. I'm tempted to go back to my trusty 7230 but love the screen in low light situations.

emale
10-24-2004, 11:05 AM
uninstall the 128 bundle from your PC then downgrade the 7100 software on the BB and see if that helps.

betabob
10-24-2004, 02:35 PM
This new upgrade ruined my reception. My house is in a particularly weak reception area of T-Mobile. My 7230 held it's ground with most phones I had, 7100 ver .112 little less so, ver .128 no service. Anyone else experienced more erratic reception with this new firmware? I also can't get my 7100 registered on network (no browser, no IM) T-Mobile's response: Wait a few days, maybe it will work. I'm tempted to go back to my trusty 7230 but love the screen in low light situations.

I actually had an opposite experience. I too live in an area with weak TMO reception, but this upgrade has slightly improved my reception and it also re-establishes reception more quickly after getting dropped.

ajstan99
10-24-2004, 08:25 PM
I also can't get my 7100 registered on network (no browser, no IM) T-Mobile's response: Wait a few days, maybe it will work.

To register yourself on the network, go to http://www.tmobile.com/bwc and register. Go to the profile page and click the buttons to send yourself a BlackBerry Web Client Service Book and an Internet Browsing Service Book. You should be up and running in 5-10 minutes.

jubrand
10-24-2004, 09:27 PM
See my post above. After I reinstalled phone and other "removed" apps, I got full function and data back, but the "download fun" icon did not reappear with the browser icon. Can anyon help tell me how to get it back with bookmarks (I have a backup of working system)?

Additional details: Puchased 7100t at T-mobile, unlocked it, then "ported" old cell number from ATT. The download fun icon dissappeared once before when I put in an ATT sim, then reappeared with its bookmarks when a 2nd T-mobile chip inserted. It was there until the OS upgrade. Since has not reappeared, but I thought it was just a time thing. Having trouble getting into "http://downloadfun.wap.t-mobile.com" site using phone browser as well.

Any thoughts? I think this icon and bookmarks are pushed to phone based on some trigger? Did I erase a certificate? Is it possible the server is down?

Happened to me too. Go into "Options", and then into "Host Routing Table". In there, one of the items on the list should be highlighted. Click on it and choose "Register Now." this fixed it for me. But, I have a T-mobile, so I'm not sure it'll work for you. Give it a try though.

canesfins
10-26-2004, 10:38 AM
Is there a way to do a simple upgrade instead of deleting files etc. I am sure I will do something wrong. Also the upgrade seems to be an executable file rather than a file that you can upload via application loader, can someone give me a little guidance on (a) do I need this upgrade, and (b) what is the simplest way to do it with it actually working. I am assuming that I do not have to upgrade the desktop manager.

buckZor
10-26-2004, 10:58 AM
canesfins - You should probably hold off until TMobile releases a more stable build.

rsun
10-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Fixed all my problems. .128 is much better then .112

canesfins
10-26-2004, 11:09 AM
Oh Boy, I got gutsy and am now in the middle of the upgrade, hope it comes out on the back end ok.

ladrummer
10-26-2004, 11:13 AM
I too upgraded to .128 and so far haven't encountered any problems.

canesfins
10-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Upgrade finished, no issues. Does it do anything other than add the password file cabinet?

sempai
10-26-2004, 02:21 PM
You could have added that before the update, by the way.

canesfins
10-26-2004, 02:29 PM
Do we know exactly what this update is supposed to fix?

NJBlackBerry
10-26-2004, 02:49 PM
Sigh. Look on page 2 of this thread.

canesfins
10-26-2004, 03:03 PM
Ummm, I did, there is no post that sets forth what the update actually accomplishes. There was nothing on the T Mobile site that said what it does.

rmarquez
10-26-2004, 03:10 PM
canefins:

Look on page two of this thread to a post made by jibi. It describes the list of supposed fixes (as reported by PDAstreet.com, Ibelieve)

Ummm, I did, there is no post that sets forth what the update actually accomplishes. There was nothing on the T Mobile site that said what it does.

NJBlackBerry
10-26-2004, 03:35 PM
The Release Notes are as follows:
without a reset
off.

canesfins
10-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Thanks guys.

Chowder
10-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Alright. I've got some issues with the device after the install of the new software. When I hit the escape button, I am sent to the phone dial pad and it begins to enter random numbers and letters. I'm in the process of re-installing the software again.

Any other insight would be helpful.

buckZor
10-28-2004, 12:15 PM
This update is like a beta service pack 1 from Microsoft.

Peench
10-28-2004, 04:53 PM
This update is like a beta service pack 1 from Microsoft.

Woah.... is it really that bad?? I was getting ready to install it. Is anyone else having any problems?

jibi
10-28-2004, 04:59 PM
no, its not that bad. it actually resolve a few issues.

SnDmN
10-28-2004, 07:55 PM
I have not had any problems with my upgrade. Just be patient because the process does take about 20 minutes.

beth16
10-28-2004, 08:59 PM
How does a Mac user update this software since to me it seems that the files are PC based??

Inphektion
10-29-2004, 08:05 AM
You need to use a PC...

beth16
10-29-2004, 09:45 AM
POOP STICKS!!!
Guess I have to hang out at my parents house this weekend!!

sempai
10-29-2004, 10:07 AM
I know, it sucks.

Though if nothing else, it gives me a chance to do my other fun Windows maintainance routines. There are probably 100 new hotfixes since the last time it got booted... ;)

beth16
10-29-2004, 10:21 AM
So hey.. since I have read through this thread entirely and I saw a few different links for the new update and a few people that said it wasn't worth it.. before I take the time to jump on a PC (which I dread)
Is it worth the update and where is the best place to get it??
Thanks!!!

sempai
10-29-2004, 10:36 AM
The best place to get it is directly from T-Mobile.

I would do it just because I hated the speakerphone/headset bug.

beth16
10-29-2004, 12:54 PM
Thanks!! Ill have to check it out!

joamoa
10-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Upgraded last night. Today, I received email messages regularly. At some point though, I just stopped receiving them. After I rebooted, I got all my messages. Any idea?

Peench
10-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies to my concern. I guess I'll give it a shot as soon as I can find some free minutes during the day!!

roccitman
10-29-2004, 05:42 PM
Does anyone know if OS 4.0 will be available for normal BWC users or is it just for the hotrod Exchange/Notes folks?

Scott_F
11-01-2004, 12:21 AM

betabob
11-01-2004, 01:33 AM

koolio
11-02-2004, 01:58 PM

anthonymoody
11-02-2004, 02:50 PM

Aaron
11-03-2004, 03:12 PM

anthonymoody
11-07-2004, 08:21 PM