PDA

View Full Version : BlackBerry Enterprise Activation

ukmm
10-07-2008, 06:56 AM
Good afternoon,

I recently started synchronizing BlackBerry's at a large company. They took my through the process of doing this for our users. After a doing one or two they advised me that the sync sometimes doesn't work. Now after doing 500 + and constantly having problems I thought I'd just ask to see if you can figure this out.

1. we get a device usually 8110 pearl. and wipe it.
2. We add a user on to the BES (the users within our Outlook Global Address Book), using BlackBerry Manager - Version: 4.0.2.8. We login to the BES using Windows Server 2003. Once added on there we go into the users section and go to security to "Generate Keys Manually" with status Up to date. apply and ok this and exit the BES.
3. After this we grant ourselves access to the users mailbox on our mail servers.
4. We then create a Outlook profile.
5. We turn on all connections on the blackberry, load desktop manager 4.6 and select the users Outlook profile and click ok.
6. We then insert the datacable into the BlackBerry. At this point "enterprise activation" usually starts and goes through the process. After this things are not always working.

Sometimes the activation doesn't start when plugging in the cable. Also sometimes it does start and after we get failed to synchronise calendar, memo or tasks. Sometimes we get activation complete. Im sure the person that showed me how to do this has forgotten and made up new ways on synchronizing.

Anyone got a complete guide on activating using a cable? Our users can take the blackberry away after we done this and they can snych wirelessly. Just such a big hassle getting them to work :(

Really hard to explain, just hope someone can help.

Regards,

UKMM

tsduke03
10-07-2008, 08:01 AM
What's the advantage of activating over USB?

My activation has never taken more than a few minutes wirelessly.

flameup
10-07-2008, 08:25 AM
What's the advantage of activating over USB?

My activation has never taken more than a few minutes wirelessly.
I think that better follow traditional ways of activation. If you were out of luck - try to change that next time.

cde3879
10-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Good afternoon,

I recently started synchronizing BlackBerry's at a large company. They took my through the process of doing this for our users. After a doing one or two they advised me that the sync sometimes doesn't work. Now after doing 500 + and constantly having problems I thought I'd just ask to see if you can figure this out.

1. we get a device usually 8110 pearl. and wipe it.
2. We add a user on to the BES (the users within our Outlook Global Address Book), using BlackBerry Manager - Version: 4.0.2.8. We login to the BES using Windows Server 2003. Once added on there we go into the users section and go to security to "Generate Keys Manually" with status Up to date. apply and ok this and exit the BES.
3. After this we grant ourselves access to the users mailbox on our mail servers.
4. We then create a Outlook profile.
5. We turn on all connections on the blackberry, load desktop manager 4.6 and select the users Outlook profile and click ok.
6. We then insert the datacable into the BlackBerry. At this point "enterprise activation" usually starts and goes through the process. After this things are not always working.

Sometimes the activation doesn't start when plugging in the cable. Also sometimes it does start and after we get failed to synchronise calendar, memo or tasks. Sometimes we get activation complete. Im sure the person that showed me how to do this has forgotten and made up new ways on synchronizing.

Anyone got a complete guide on activating using a cable? Our users can take the blackberry away after we done this and they can snych wirelessly. Just such a big hassle getting them to work :(

Really hard to explain, just hope someone can help.

Regards,

UKMM

It sounds like you are making this needlessly complicated for yourself. If the permissions have been set for the BlackBerry service account properly in Active Directory and on the Exchange Information Store (I am assuming you're using Exchange) then there should be no need at all to manually add mailbox permissions for new users as long as they are in the relevant OU.

I suspect that it is a mixture of key generation (leave this as default, you shouldn't need to change this for activation to work) and incorrect permissions that are preventing the sync from continuing.

So essentially - wipe handheld, add user to BES, right-click user and "set activation password" to whatever it is, go to handheld and choose enterprise activation using email address of user and the password you have set, and it should then all start working properly once encryption has been verified and it's received the service books. No need for USB at all as it all happens over the carrier network (providing the SIM has been provisioned for BES).

Ragrots
10-10-2008, 07:02 PM
I've been activating BBs on a BES for a few years and have NEVER done a USB activation, they've all been OTAs and no problems here! In fact, I've probably activated 40 of them in the last week and a half!

Ricky-Ray
10-11-2008, 02:30 AM
I've been activating BBs on a BES for a few years and have NEVER done a USB activation, they've all been OTAs and no problems here! In fact, I've probably activated 40 of them in the last week and a half!

Same here. On average I do at least a couple every week. Never activated to USB alway's OTA. Create the account on the BES create the activation password and then on the blackberry go to Options, Advanced Options, Enterprise Activation and then add the person's email address and the activation password and then click on activate and within a few minutes everything should be synced and ready to go.

SteveO86
10-11-2008, 09:50 AM
I don't know you running BES with Exchange or Domino, but I've went into the each user setting and specified their Domino mail file in the PIM Sync options to sync their contacts wirelessly.

What exactly isn't syncing everything?

So far I've only done OTA activation so much easier since everyone is on the go.

takeshi
10-13-2008, 09:18 AM
USB activation is handy if you can't locate or don't want to bug your BES admin and the person is already set up with BES (i.e. a re-activation).