PDA

View Full Version : Blackberries and unwanted Return Receipts

JJS
10-08-2008, 01:48 PM
We host websites and email and we have several BB users today receiving delivery receipts; one client told me it started last evening. They are unrelated BB users, and I'm seeing Telus, Primus, Rogers but all of them going thru
srs.bis.na.blackberry.com

Some are using their email addresses we host for them, others are using their blackberry email addresses, and others are sending from third party email addresses. Some are not even our clients. The one thing in common is they are all sending from their BB devices to recipients whose accounts we host mail for.

(Only one non BB user is receiving them, probably on purpose; thousands of other non BB users are unaffected) In the 5 days prior, on this one machine, the number of outgoing "Return receipt" log entries each day was 4,1,0,2, and 6. Today there is 31 so far.

But the odd thing is none of the incoming raw mail messages show "Return-Receipt-To:" headers.

Is anyone aware of
1. Is there a problem with BB mail servers currently
2. How would a user check his/her BIS account to see if there's a setting which has been enabled
3. Can a user tell by looking in his BB or on the BIS if a software upgrade or other maintenance was done last night? Or does he need to call his provider to find out?

djm2
10-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Email -> Options -> Email Settings -> {Select Account}

I suspect that Confirm Delivery has been toggled on.

Oh, and welcome.

JJS
10-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Email -> Options -> Email Settings -> {Select Account}

I suspect that Confirm Delivery has been toggled on.

Oh, and welcome.

Thank you.

It's hard to decipher what those settings mean! So that means "confirm delivery" refers to outgoing messages? It could mean:
OUTGOING: confirm to me (request a return receipt) when a message I send out is 'delivered'
INCOMING: confirm to others that their message to me is delivered (respond to return receipt requests)?

Kaijosanko
11-06-2008, 09:37 PM
The obvious is not the case here. No on/off toggle issues. After integrated my gmail account to my new BB 8220 I am getting confirmation messages with setting to OFF. BB help desk went as far as they could and then suggested reloading the OS. I'm looking for someone with a simpler explanation and answer.