PDA

View Full Version : One user with two Blackberries

artilvents
10-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Afternoon BlackBerry Forum Users

Thank you for such a great site.

Hoping that someone could possibly clear something up for me. I have one user making use of two 8800c BB. The one is used in Germany and the other in the States(cost reasons). He has seperate email addresses configured in exchange and each activated accordingly through BES server.

My question is: Would it be possible as with MS Outlook to configure the BB to "send as" only using the one email address(primary). The reason for this is he is finding himself having to constantly search for emails not remembering which device it was sent to. Rather than doing this he would like to be able to send from either device using only the Primary address this way forcing people to reply to only the one address.

Any comments would be appreciated
Thanks
Artil

takeshi
10-10-2008, 02:59 PM
He has seperate email addresses configured in exchange and each activated accordingly through BES server.
Maybe I'm missing something but this sounds like an overly complicated solution that could be solved with 1 unlocked BB and 2 SIM cards. BES doesn't care which carrier you're using. No need for 2 BES/Exchange accounts.

Just swap SIMS's when traveling from one country to the other.

artilvents
10-13-2008, 04:40 AM
Hi Takeshi,

Thanks for you comments it is much appreciated. So there should be no issues with setting up the 1 email account with the 2 different sim cards then ? And then as you say the user interchanges his sim cards depending which coutry he is in?

jjmach
10-13-2008, 09:59 AM
The SIM card is not associated with the BES or Exchange account, only the IMEI number and PIN number, so if the user interchanges the SIM card, only difference will the the service provider, but for the BES is the same device.

cctraderx
10-13-2008, 10:06 AM
BES doesn't care about carrier, it only cares about the device id. While you can swap the SIM's, the device ID / PIN will only be recognized by and registered to one carrier not both, so you won't get mail from one carrier using the plan discussed by takeshi.

Since I don't know what the cost of the BB plans are in Germany, I would suggest the following: Get a T-Mo plan in the states for BB only BES-cost $40/mo, add the international data and email for $20/mo more, total for $60/mo. You can turn off the international portion when the employee is in the states and turn it back on when he/she leave - to save a few dollars. Have all email directed to that account and you are covered. The same can be done with ATT for $65/mo with a 1 year committment on the international data package.

artilvents
10-14-2008, 02:28 AM
Excellent, Thanks very much for the information jjmach & cctraderx. This will definately be the better solution for the user.

I will be sure to advise and implement this solution.

Thanks
Artil