PDA

View Full Version : BB accessing home computer

Noid
10-10-2008, 08:54 AM
I'm considering getting a BB versus other smart phones such as the iPhone and I have some questions and hope someone can help me understand. Can the BB (i.e. storm) access my home computer via the internet using a service such as gotomypc or logmein? More specifically, I would like to access my home computer (Vista) to access the fax machine so I can forward the incoming faxes to my email and thus my BB.

Another question. The Storm is specific to Vrz. If I get an unlocked Storm, can I use it with other providers such as Alltel and have all the functionality of the phone work (as long as I have the data plan that includes GPS)?

wingrider78
10-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Wirelessly posted (8320 Titanium)

The is a program called RDM+ that allows you to use your BB to control you PC

SteveO86
10-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Depending on what type of access you need to your computer, you can try eOffice 4.5 it has the ability to search files on your computer. RDM+ would be the next step up for full control of home computer.

Swerengen
10-14-2008, 01:41 PM
RDM+ is definitely the way you want to go as far as remote access to your desktop. You can read more about it here:
RDM+: Remote Desktop for Mobiles Software Review | BBGeeks (http://www.bbgeeks.com/software-reviews/rdmplus.html)

As far as unlocking the Storm and using it on other networks, this may be a little tricky. When you unlock a BlackBerry, you can definitely use it for calling etc on another network, but you may run into other issues where various service books and internal operating files are not supported or distributed by your "new" carrier.

You can usually track these items down, but it really is a pain trying to trouble shoot a device on a network that does not support it.

southwestcomm
10-14-2008, 04:06 PM
BlackBerry Unite! provides access to your home PC and is free..

emery
11-22-2008, 09:48 PM
When I had an 8525 it was used with Logmein Pro and worked exceedingly well. I use it to view security cameras remotely. Whenever RDM+ logs on the video feed stops. However if I use RDM+ to log in to my workstation and then log in to the security cameras with Logmein from the desktop the video feed works just fine and is visible on the Blackberry Bold. Very combersume. I need to log in and remotely control from the Blackberry. I had a Windows based 8525 and it worked great with Logmein. My company switched to all Blackberry's so still looking at other software to run on the BB Bold that will has the same features as Logmein. Any suggestions for a remote control client that is fully functional with directx or directdraw?