PDA

View Full Version : My First Blackberry, Essential Softwares/Mods/etc?

charlesdonahue
10-10-2008, 04:01 PM
I just purchased the Verizon Blackberry Curve 8330.

I am looking to remove some of the propriatarty junk VZW software, and replace it with some essential, useful, and entertaining software. Any reccomendations for specific softwares and websites to get software?

Ricky-Ray
10-10-2008, 04:03 PM
What are you looking for? Essential software for me could be different for you.

charlesdonahue
10-10-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm looking for anything that gives my phone the "wow" factor. Anything that adds more functionality to the phone, beyond what is already expected of a Blackberry...

Can you recommend any websites that offer free blackberry software?

Redflea
10-10-2008, 06:14 PM
I don't know about "Wow" for others, but you'll get "wow" for yourself from the following (OTA links):

Free:
Windows Live Search: Untitled Page (http://wls.live.com)

Google Maps Current:
Google Maps (http://www.google.com/gmm)

Autolock
http://www.geekandproud.net/blackberry/autolock/autolock.jad

SoftReset: http://www.geekandproud.net/blackberry/softreset/softreset.jad

$:

BBAlerts - Latest: http://bbymel.servebbs.com/latest/BlackBerryAlerts.jad

JiveTalk: http://www.beejive.com/download

Go to the Media and Aftermarket SW forums for more information on apps.

eltonpupo
10-10-2008, 10:21 PM
splashid (just got password for this forum :-) )

google maps

i'm still looking for a good app to view ms excell charts

djm2
10-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Wirelessly posted

I'd be willing to bet 20g that the OP's wow and my wow have NOTHING in common. Please learn to communicate like an adult.

hell
10-10-2008, 10:55 PM
djm2, no need to be rude.....

he was just making a point.... he wants something that make the phone dazzle everyones else...
Wow, yeahh yupi, uhuhuhuhu, that is a good idea...

charlesdonahue
10-10-2008, 11:53 PM
Wirelessly posted

I'd be willing to bet 20g that the OP's wow and my wow have NOTHING in common. Please learn to communicate like an adult.

Well sir, your comment certainly has "wow" factor. I figured my question spoke for itself within the context of the discussion, but clearly the context was lost for some.

So, to be very clear... what I meant by "wow" factor, is an application that will make my device more impressive than it already is. Applications that offer functionality beyond what is already expected from a Blackberry. Applications like the Google Maps for mobile that now offer things like street view, business searches and reviews...etc. That is something that is very impressive, and certainly stretches beyond what one would normally assume a Blackberry is able to do.

Thanks for you help though... its always wonderful when an omniscient individual such as yourself offers absolutely no insight when someone like myself poses a question (y)

SteveO86
10-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Best bet is check out the AfterMarket software forum, plenty of posts on what free/buyable software is out for the BB. Really all depends on what can make you lfe more easier. (at elast that's how I look it)

Here's what I got.

JiveTalk - If you need IM access across many platforms.

WeatherBug Direct - Free, convienent, and has alerts for severe weather.

CB Launcher BBForums and BBFAQ - Shortcuts.

BeamReader.

Viigo - I wanna stay current on many things.

Opera Mini - I only use this to download files to my media Card (Documents, CB Podcasts , etc.)

Others programs I have:

Texas Hold'Em Kings 3 - I'm a big poker fan.

Ascendo Data Vault - Very easy to use and a life saver lol.

Cram - Just study when I need to.

And I got the bPhone and Vista themes, but I just have a thing for the BB Dimension L theme.

That's just what I use.. Whatever makes my life easier

Serpentine009
10-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Wirelessly posted

I use windows live daily. I think it is one of the best free apps out there. Movie times, weather, 411 info, add to address book, maps, traffic. Its one of those services that make daily life easier.

Kamau
10-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Actually, a Blackberry IS the Wow factor!
Welcome.

Redflea
10-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Wirelessly posted

I use windows live daily. I think it is one of the best free apps out there. Movie times, weather, 411 info, add to address book, maps, traffic. Its one of those services that make daily life easier.

I agree...it's quick and easy to use, and can provide a ton of info with no typing, which is nice.

kjjb0204
10-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Wirelessly posted

I use Berry411 all the time. Also use BBLight. That's about it for me.

djm2
10-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Well sir, your comment certainly has "wow" factor. I figured my question spoke for itself within the context of the discussion, but clearly the context was lost for some.

So, to be very clear... what I meant by "wow" factor, is an application that will make my device more impressive than it already is. Applications that offer functionality beyond what is already expected from a Blackberry. Applications like the Google Maps for mobile that now offer things like street view, business searches and reviews...etc. That is something that is very impressive, and certainly stretches beyond what one would normally assume a Blackberry is able to do.

Thanks for you help though... its always wonderful when an omniscient individual such as yourself offers absolutely no insight when someone like myself poses a question (y)

Well I'm sorry, but I still think that your communication is poor. Why? Because you don't say what you want to accomplish. And that was my point. The things that I want to accomplish are quite different than the things that most people, and almost certainly you with your emphasis on style over substance, want to accomplish. Hence my wow factor is different from yours. And why you could have helped everyone significantly by communicating what your wants were.

ifonline
10-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Someone get me some popcorn while I grab us front row seats...

Redflea
10-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Someone get me some popcorn while I grab us front row seats...

Isn't it grand...people come here asking for help and get beat up in the guise of "help."

Rhyalus
10-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Google Maps
Viigo
IM+
Telenav
Getitback
Worldmate Live

R