PDA

View Full Version : 8830 World edtions won't turn on

stp72
10-12-2008, 03:40 PM
My first post on this forum,, Hi everyone..

I was given (not stolen) a BB 8830 World edition the other day (no battery)
I purchased a battery today and put it in.. red light turns on then a low battery picture pops up.. I charged the battery for a few hrs and it still won't turn on.
I tried hooking it up to my laptop to see if i could get into the files but, it was asking me to install drivers. I called my friend who gave it to me and he said it worked last week ??????

I am having a similar problem as patone, a few posts below

Sorry if this an on going post.. I am just frustrated and want this BB working :(

TroyDBrown
10-12-2008, 04:02 PM
You missed a few details:

After charging a few hours do you still get the battery picture?

And yes to connect to the PC you need the drivers which are in Desktop Manager.
Download Here: BlackBerry - Desktop Software - BlackBerry Desktop Software at BlackBerry.com (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/)

stp72
10-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Sorry yes I am still getting the battery picture, It has been on charge for about 2hrs now
Its on charge right now, It is showing the battery icon on a white screen...
I went to the link you provided do you know what desktop software I should be using?
I don't see a specific one for the 8830 WE

ocgreenmachine
10-12-2008, 06:02 PM
go to:

BlackBerry - Desktop Software - BlackBerry Desktop Software at BlackBerry.com (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/)

You can download 4.2, which is a good version for the 8830, or you can try 4.6, which I recently downloaded and seems to work ok. DO NOT DOWNLOAD 4.3... it is buggy.

As for the white screen with the battery pic, it could be you don't have any device software downloaded on the blackberry... you can also download the device software from blackberry or your service provider. Who do you get your service from? If you have verizon, the latest software officially recognized by verizon is 4.2. However, you can use 4.5 if you are tech savvy and are willing to do a little research on the forums on how to get it to work.

After downloading the desktop software, install it. Then, install your device software on your computer. Lastly, connect your blackberry to the computer via the usb cable and hopefully it connects and loads the device software on the device.

stp72
10-12-2008, 06:15 PM
I installed 4.6 and it wont connect via USB.. I am thinking the USB port is faulty :(
I am going to un-install 4.6 and install 4.2 like you recommended.. The BB was on Telus network Canada.

stp72
10-12-2008, 06:27 PM
I tried 4.2 and it still cant find a USB connection.. Something strange is going on here
I am getting Handheld Software v4.2.2.322 from my service provider specific to them. But the more I play around I am leading to a faulty USB port on the BB itself..

stp72
10-12-2008, 07:25 PM
ok its showing a USB connection now.. Under my computer the BB shows up as a removable disc with a file size of 0.. So I am guessing there isn't an OS installed on it anymore?? But if there is no OS installed would this cause the BB not to charge the battery?

I am also getting a Unable to reconnect to the device during a multi-stage load operation message
when upgrading in desktop manager..

Jase88
10-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Remember, unless the drivers are installed, you typically cannot charge a Blackberry via usb.

jjmach
10-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Try to wipe the handheld with JL_Cmder. Then reload the BB OS with the Desktop Manager

Regards