PDA

View Full Version : this curve is becoming a disaster - please help!

Deraj090
10-14-2008, 05:51 PM
OK - so here's the story, in short form.

AT&T
-upgraded to a curve over the phone
---didnt work

-had an in-store replacement
---the vibrate was REALLY loud, and annoying

-another in-store replacement
---the LCD backlight was really washed out

-over the phone replacement
---this one had a better backlight, but the vibrate was LOUD again!!!

WHAT DO I DO?!?!

I'm honestly contemplating taking them both apart, and taking the good screen, with the good shell (where the loud vibrate may be coming from?), and shipping back the bad parts of both...

will this work? -- will it be hard? -- any way to fix this washed out screen?

i think the washed out screen won't bother me as much as the loud vibrate, but in all honesty, i'd much rather have a working phone.

any suggestions?

SteveO86
10-14-2008, 06:36 PM
loud vibrate? I would head over to your local AT&T kiosk and play with the other BlackBerries they have there. You can't really silence or change the vibrate (unless you turn it off.)

I've had an 8830 and an 8330 I do believe the vibrate is the same for all BlackBerry models.

Deraj090
10-14-2008, 06:39 PM
its as if a piece of the plastic shell is rattling more than it should, and the vibrate is VERY audible, rather than just a vibrate.

I know this because the phone I have now (with the washed out screen) doens't vibrate as loud as the phone they just sent me (with the good screen)

holden
10-14-2008, 07:02 PM
its as if a piece of the plastic shell is rattling more than it should, and the vibrate is VERY audible, rather than just a vibrate.

I know this because the phone I have now (with the washed out screen) doesn't vibrate as loud as the phone they just sent me (with the good screen)

Hi....

Just a suggestion...
Have you adjusted your Profiles? Or changed the Profiles in an attempt to change the behavior of the phone when a call comes in etc.??

H.

Deraj090
10-14-2008, 08:01 PM
yep -- i need vibrate because of class...can't have it on ring

Motorcycle Mama
10-14-2008, 08:03 PM
But you could set it to mute, as well, and then just check it after class.

Deraj090
10-14-2008, 08:14 PM
...yea, i get it.

but lets be honest, none of you guys/gals are here on this forum because you have a cell phone for emergencies only, or just to get in touch with your kids. we use these things all day -- who wants to walk around with a rattle snake in their pocket all day?

ctibbsaz
10-14-2008, 08:21 PM
I just don't know what to say about this, I would just keep getting them until you get a "vibrate" that you feel is below the acceptable decibel level for your classroom use and live with whatever issues that one has. From my point of view, when you are in class you should be concentrating on the teacher not your text messages so as someone suggested you can set it to mute and have the LED indicator alert you and not the "rattle snake"

littleman
10-14-2008, 08:22 PM
that must be one he-doubble hocky sticks of a vibrate. yes i can hear mine when sitting on the table but not in my pocket. i use the leather case it came with to protect it somewhat but i guess one of the rubber shells may soften the vibrate. hold the case together a little more and the ones ive seen dont really look bad.

holden
10-14-2008, 08:24 PM
yep -- i need vibrate because of class...can't have it on ring

What I meant was, have you changed the profiles and adjusted the HIGH, MED, LOW to see if this makes any difference? I just tried to adjust this feature on Vibrate and adjust the HIGH, MED, LOW setting but it seems to make no difference. Never saw an 8310 with this issue your describing.

I use vibrate all the time in meetings...

EDIT: You could always set some level 1 filters....

H.

holden
10-14-2008, 08:26 PM
I just don't know what to say about this, I would just keep getting them until you get a "vibrate" that you feel is below the acceptable decibel level for your classroom use and live with whatever issues that one has. From my point of view, when you are in class you should be concentrating on the teacher not your text messages so as someone suggested you can set it to mute and have the LED indicator alert you and not the "rattle snake"

Now how are we supposted to focus when you have that avitar!!! :smile:

Deraj090
10-14-2008, 08:37 PM
ctibbsaz -- thanks for the life lesson ;) my GPA has suffered one bit, because of my cell phone use in class...

littleman -- basically, the vibrate sounds as if the phone is sitting on a table and vibrating, whether it is in my hand, in my pocket, or actually on a table..

ok, so now -- lets take a poll:

1. stick with the phone with the normal vibrate and washed out screen?
2. stick with the phone with the normal screen and messed up vibrate?
3. keep trying to get a new phone until at&t blacklists me :-P

thanks for your opinions in advance

daseff
10-14-2008, 08:59 PM
My vibrate is pretty obnoxious as well... I got a Blackberry skin, and although it's probably just as loud when placed on a table or something of the like, it muffles the vibrating sound when in my pocket.
You could also change the number of times the device vibrates on your profiles menu - maybe it would make the sound less noticeable?

Deraj090
10-15-2008, 12:55 AM
who knows...i might just take the washed out screen over the obnoxious vibrate...unless against another RIM device, its hard to tell how bad the screen is...even though I know it....but that vibrate -- i was taking an exam the other day, and one of my friends said she could hear it from the other side of the lecture hall...now i dont know if you guys know Penn State at all...but our halls hold 700+ people.

Deraj090
10-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Wirelessly posted

So I talked to att today. They wanted to charge me 350 for the phone, and said they'd refund once they receive the return and deem it defective...wasn't willing to take that risk. Not to mention, I spoke with about 4 people, and not one of them understood what I was talking about, with regards to the return situation.

I'm returning the device (with the bad vibrate) that they sent as a replacement for my phone (bad screen)...theb ill start from fresh I gues....what a waste of time