PDA

View Full Version : A Storm that will work on AT&T's 3G

TroyDBrown
10-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Rogers to Release a Storm

BlackBerry Storm Coming To Rogers | BlackBerryNews.com (http://www.blackberrynews.com/2008/10/15/blackberry-storm-coming-to-rogers/)

sd5187
10-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

I by-passed the Bold to wait for this device. And before Christmas too! Merry Christmas to me!

Keeping my fingers crossed.

JSanders
10-15-2008, 04:31 PM
That will be cool... lovin' it.

Although, it looks like this will an EDGE only device, no 3G.

CO_BBTechie
10-15-2008, 04:34 PM
That will be cool... lovin' it.

Although, it looks like this will an EDGE only device, no 3G.

Buzz kill :cry:

Jason Mark
10-15-2008, 04:51 PM
This will be interesting to see pan out. Considering there are eval units on Rogers right now, and on their 3G BTW, it'll be interesting to see how it releases.

rkh3
10-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Storm looks cool but I viewed a vid of data entry, looks terrible, much rather have the full QWERTY keyboard.
3G is painfully slow. We had AT&Ts internet cards for our laptops, junk, so we upgraded to their new ones, equally terrible, painfully slow.............both were 3G speed, whatever that means.

Dubdub
10-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Its only 3G if you are in a 3G area. Sounds like you were not.

JSanders
10-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Storm looks cool but I viewed a vid of data entry, looks terrible, much rather have the full QWERTY keyboard.

Seems you must have missed part of the vid, the Storm has a full QWERTY keyboard. Turn the Storm landscape.

lraed74
10-16-2008, 07:39 AM
If an EDGE only device with Rogers, perhaps wifi would be on it also?

BB4Life
10-16-2008, 08:03 AM
3G is painfully slow. We had AT&Ts internet cards for our laptops, junk, so we upgraded to their new ones, equally terrible, painfully slow.............both were 3G speed, whatever that means.

i agree with rkh3...i've been using a Storm for the past 2 months, and it is a very flimsy device while typing..especially if your palms tend to sweat sometimes..hee hee....it took me soooo long to get used to...but i got used to it after a while..really is an awesome RIM device....

BB4Life
10-16-2008, 08:04 AM
also, forgot to mention, i've been using the STORM on ATT, got all the service books except the browser...and it's running on EDGE :(

zerog46
10-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Cool, take a pic of it.

BB4Life
10-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Cool, take a pic of it.

i had a feeling you didn't believe me.... 8-)

BB4Life
10-17-2008, 08:44 AM
sorry for the bad quality.. ^^^ took the pic with my curve

zerog46
10-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Hey you get a lot of people that say a lot of things on here.

BB4Life
10-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Hey you get a lot of people that say a lot of things on here.

lolz..i completely understand :)

slimjimc
10-17-2008, 10:59 AM
BB4Life....so what do you think of the phone, do you think its worth it to have on AT&T without the 3G and without it having wifi? I really want to see how this phone is because I want a full touch screen phone and I was hoping it had 3G or wifi so when Slingbox came out with their blackberry program I would be able to watch TV on a phone and not have to comprimise quality and reliability. Was even thinking of going to Verizon just for that purpose but dont want to miss out on all the cool phones GSM people get.

SHP
10-17-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm sorry if this is obvious, but does this mean that one could buy a Storm, unlock it and use it on T-Mobile?

TMOBLK23
10-17-2008, 04:30 PM
:-o how did u get the storm??

TroyDBrown
10-17-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm sorry if this is obvious, but does this mean that one could buy a Storm, unlock it and use it on T-Mobile?

Yes it would work on T-Mobiles EDGE network no 3G

BB4Life
10-17-2008, 05:34 PM
BB4Life....so what do you think of the phone, do you think its worth it to have on AT&T without the 3G and without it having wifi? I really want to see how this phone is because I want a full touch screen phone and I was hoping it had 3G or wifi so when Slingbox came out with their blackberry program I would be able to watch TV on a phone and not have to comprimise quality and reliability. Was even thinking of going to Verizon just for that purpose but dont want to miss out on all the cool phones GSM people get.

SlimJimC,

It wasn't worth it for me to have the Storm running on ATT...mainly because since I have been using the BOLD, I'm so used to having 3G and a browser..when I popped in my ATT SIM into the Storm, I got all my service books except the Web Browser..after using it for one week, I put it away..that was the killer for me..even if it was still at EDGE with a browser, I would've kept it..but I'm definitely thinking about switching to ATT when the STORM comes out..it was either the STORM or the iPhone, and the STORM is definitely the way to go..this device is going to kill if you are a Blackberry fan...hope I helped with my insight

BB4Life
10-17-2008, 05:36 PM
:-o how did u get the storm??

Had it since the Spring 8-)

dankarlinski
10-18-2008, 04:29 AM
Wirelessly posted (8130 Pearl (Sprint))

It was developed for cdma carriers and should have been released on them first?? How did you get a gsm release before the scheduled cdma TESTING?

BB4Life
10-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (8130 Pearl (Sprint))

It was developed for cdma carriers and should have been released on them first?? How did you get a gsm release before the scheduled cdma TESTING?

it's a cdma/gsm hybrid...i got hookups dude

ricpac
10-20-2008, 08:06 AM
^^kewl hookups indeed!

When are you getting the "Magnum?"

slimjimc
10-20-2008, 10:37 AM
SlimJimC,

It wasn't worth it for me to have the Storm running on ATT...mainly because since I have been using the BOLD, I'm so used to having 3G and a browser..when I popped in my ATT SIM into the Storm, I got all my service books except the Web Browser..after using it for one week, I put it away..that was the killer for me..even if it was still at EDGE with a browser, I would've kept it..but I'm definitely thinking about switching to ATT when the STORM comes out..it was either the STORM or the iPhone, and the STORM is definitely the way to go..this device is going to kill if you are a Blackberry fan...hope I helped with my insight

Thx...it really did help...So just to clairify, with an unlocked STORM you are not able to have web capabilities? If this is the case, do you know if the web browser will work on edge at any point using an unlocked STORM? I really want this phone but having an unlocked STORM with no wifi, no 3G and having the BOLD being released on AT&T soon (which I have lost alost of desire for because of the delays) I'm still trying to talk myself out of buying one anyways just because I want a touchscreen phone with the reliability of BB...maybe I can hold out for the 2nd gen STORM but I've had my CURVE for a year already and I'm itching to get a new phone. 8-)

dhendriksen
10-20-2008, 10:59 AM
sorry for the bad quality.. ^^^ took the pic with my curve

I can't believe I missed this thread, and missed that you have one. Can you take some better pics for us? I would love to see a high res photo of it next to your curve.

mataderosrules
10-20-2008, 03:15 PM
i have t-mobile...so i guess i will have to get it unlocked and using it on EDGE.

how much do you think it might be?

Jason Mark
10-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Thx...it really did help...So just to clairify, with an unlocked STORM you are not able to have web capabilities? If this is the case, do you know if the web browser will work on edge at any point using an unlocked STORM? I really want this phone but having an unlocked STORM with no wifi, no 3G and having the BOLD being released on AT&T soon (which I have lost alost of desire for because of the delays) I'm still trying to talk myself out of buying one anyways just because I want a touchscreen phone with the reliability of BB...maybe I can hold out for the 2nd gen STORM but I've had my CURVE for a year already and I'm itching to get a new phone. 8-)

I would honestly suggest that you hold off on the Storm and just get a Bold. Then start saving money and when the NA GSM version of the Storm hits Rogers & AT&T just get that one. Keep in mind that usually, the newer the device the better. ;-)

slimjimc
10-20-2008, 06:53 PM
I would honestly suggest that you hold off on the Storm and just get a Bold. Then start saving money and when the NA GSM version of the Storm hits Rogers & AT&T just get that one. Keep in mind that usually, the newer the device the better. ;-)

I don't know if i can hold out :razz: I allow myself a budget to get a new phone every year...I was really excited about the BOLD..nice screen, wifi, 3G, GPS...I thought it can't get any better than this, then delay after delay I lost alot of my interest and the STORM just grew and grew in interest for me...I'm on a month to month right now with AT&T and I'm not paying much of a difference between AT&T plan and a Verizon BB Plan...I may hop over the Verizon for a month to month deal, and when AT&T gets a killer phone, resign a contract with them ;-) I can't help but want the bestest newest gadget :cry:

Jason Mark
10-20-2008, 07:37 PM
I don't know if i can hold out :razz: I allow myself a budget to get a new phone every year...I was really excited about the BOLD..nice screen, wifi, 3G, GPS...I thought it can't get any better than this, then delay after delay I lost alot of my interest and the STORM just grew and grew in interest for me...I'm on a month to month right now with AT&T and I'm not paying much of a difference between AT&T plan and a Verizon BB Plan...I may hop over the Verizon for a month to month deal, and when AT&T gets a killer phone, resign a contract with them ;-) I can't help but want the bestest newest gadget :cry:

Nobody can blame you. Although, when the Bold launches on AT&T, it will pretty much be the device everyone thought it would be. But the month to month on VZW sounds like a winner until one of the new devices hits AT&T. ;-)

SHP
10-21-2008, 07:48 AM
I generally buy a new phone every two years. I bought my Pearl the day it came out--it's getting a little long in the tooth. I like T-Mobile service, so I'm willing to wait a bit (perhaps as long as 6 months) to see if they'll eventually get the Storm. I've read rumors that eventually they will get it. I sure I hope I don't wait in vain.

phone_caller
10-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Is the Storm you are discussing the 9500 or the 9530? Will the 9500 work on 3G? Will the browser work on an unlocked 9500? Does the 9500 have wi-fi? I know the 9530 does not.

BB4Life
10-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Is the Storm you are discussing the 9500 or the 9530? Will the 9500 work on 3G? Will the browser work on an unlocked 9500? Does the 9500 have wi-fi? I know the 9530 does not.

9530...no, no, and no....

msaster
10-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Where do I purchase it?? I am so there. If it requires a road trip it will be worth it.

msaster
10-22-2008, 08:07 PM
BB4Life,

When will ATT be getting the Storm? I have waited for the Bold so long, I am no longer interested. The Storm is awesome:smile:

rambo47
10-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Dude, about those pictures: DE-CAFE! :smile:

BB4Life
10-23-2008, 11:13 AM
BB4Life,

When will ATT be getting the Storm? I have waited for the Bold so long, I am no longer interested. The Storm is awesome:smile:

I don't know if ATT will be carrying the STORM according to my peeps...but if I hear anything, I will definitely keep you guys updated

slimjimc
10-23-2008, 05:02 PM
I don't know if ATT will be carrying the STORM according to my peeps...but if I hear anything, I will definitely keep you guys updated

In your personal opinion...do you think the STORM is worth switching over to Verizon? I know it goes back and forth to what it is an individual person wants in a phone, but I just want to know from someone that has played with many BlackBerry's to give me an opinion of why and why not and the reasons. Thanks!

Jason Mark
10-23-2008, 05:45 PM
In your personal opinion...do you think the STORM is worth switching over to Verizon? I know it goes back and forth to what it is an individual person wants in a phone, but I just want to know from someone that has played with many BlackBerry's to give me an opinion of why and why not and the reasons. Thanks!

I've been testing the 9500 for 2 months. So to answer your question: If AT&T and/or Rogers were not going to get a version of the Storm, then I would say yes. But since they are, I would wait. However, if you are impatient and/or have issues with AT&T's coverage, then go ahead and get the Storm. GSM carriers have some real good devices to look forward to in 2009. But of course the choice is yours. :)

TheBigNewt
10-23-2008, 06:10 PM
What network have you been using it on, Rogers as per your sig? Why do you say you'd wait for ATT (I assume Verizon isn't in Canada)? In the US Verizon's 3g network is way bigger than ATT's. Where I live there's no ATT 3G at all but Verizon is 3g everywhere they get a signal. there's no switching between 2g/3g.

Jason Mark
10-23-2008, 07:22 PM
What network have you been using it on, Rogers as per your sig? Why do you say you'd wait for ATT (I assume Verizon isn't in Canada)? In the US Verizon's 3g network is way bigger than ATT's. Where I live there's no ATT 3G at all but Verizon is 3g everywhere they get a signal. there's no switching between 2g/3g.

I understand that Verizon's footprint is much larger than AT&T's HSPA network. But, AT&T is upgrading and expanding their network right now. By mid- 2009 they should have 850 overlayed 1900 and signal quality should be much better. Also, HSPA has some advantages over EVDO. Plus, my personal opinion is that new devices are always coming so theres not really a reason to switch.

baggyp
10-23-2008, 09:20 PM
I don't know much about service books, but what is T-mobile and AT&T missing to make the internet work?

msaster
10-24-2008, 08:07 AM
How do I purchase a Storm from Rogers? I wish ATT was on top of Blackberry like they are the IPhone. Obviously they dont want to keep long standing customers.

slimjimc
10-24-2008, 10:20 AM
I've been testing the 9500 for 2 months. So to answer your question: If AT&T and/or Rogers were not going to get a version of the Storm, then I would say yes. But since they are, I would wait. However, if you are impatient and/or have issues with AT&T's coverage, then go ahead and get the Storm. GSM carriers have some real good devices to look forward to in 2009. But of course the choice is yours. :)

Cool...thanks for the info, so I am going to assume when you speak of the Storm for AT&T/Rogers you are speaking of the 2nd Gen or 3rd Gen Storm rumored to release in 2009...I have pretty decent coverage with AT&T, I'm located in Southern California. I only allow myself to change phones once a year, so I'm hoping I will be happy with this phone for atleast one year, now I'm just trying to decide how to go about and get it, either switch or wait...:?

slimjimc
10-24-2008, 10:23 AM
oh...and if anyone else has used it can give their opinion of the phone it would be great! thanks in advanced.

rambo47
10-24-2008, 12:40 PM
I hear the rev. 2 GSM model will have 3G. But that's a year off.

msaster
10-24-2008, 06:57 PM
If the Storm is that far off for ATT I guess I will go with a Bold till the Storm comes out. Not happy with that but is it not better than the Curve

Jason Mark
10-24-2008, 08:37 PM
If the Storm is that far off for ATT I guess I will go with a Bold till the Storm comes out. Not happy with that but is it not better than the Curve

It will not be a year before we get a NA GSM version of the Storm. ;-)

msaster
10-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Thank you so much..............I will be patient then. I have waited since July, I appreciate your input plz plz plz keep me posted

Stop-N-Go
10-24-2008, 09:53 PM
The Storm will launch on Verizon on Nov. 15th. and Best Buy on Nov. 16th.

tylerrocks09
11-11-2008, 02:18 PM

your going to be wating a lonnnng time.

LeoCA
04-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Msaster, since youre in Michigan, how far are you from Windsor, ON? Unless you have relatives here, they can buy it for you then send it to you. If not, then if youre willing to cross the border... or wait till ebay have them (9520), thats the only way. You can try their website, Ive bought phones on line at Rogers before... but i think they dont send out to US addresses.

Ask your buddies if they're up for a road trip. (plus, youre gonna be buying it in Canadian dollars ;-))