PDA

View Full Version : Newb Question

earthshaker78
10-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi,

I have been w/ Sprint for over 10 yrs and have a great plan. I want to get a BB Curve but avoid the $30 BB PowerVision package. I ran into this website:

hxxp://sites.google.com/site/blackberrywithoutbisbes/Home/english

Has any1 tried it? Does it work?

Any assitance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Jason Mark
10-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Hi,

I have been w/ Sprint for over 10 yrs and have a great plan. I want to get a BB Curve but avoid the $30 BB PowerVision package. I ran into this website:

hxxp://sites.google.com/site/blackberrywithoutbisbes/Home/english

Has any1 tried it? Does it work?

Any assitance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

The reason a Curve is a Curve is because it's browser and email capabilities. I'm not sure why you would want a Curve without the attributes it's known for. As for the site, I'm not sure.

Swerengen
10-20-2008, 09:47 AM
I think you are slightly off the mark here.

That website shows you how to enable your browser without actually signing up for a data account with your carrier.

while this is definitely a cool thing to know how to do, there are some potential side effects.

The biggest one being that you will still incur data charges from your carrier for all data sent over their network. This means that while you save $30 a month on your "plan" you will be charged the extortion style rates that carriers impose on anyone who does not have a data plan.

Now if you only plan to use the browser when connected to WiFi you can definitely go this route, but be aware that things could go wrong in a hurry with only a few "pocket presses" of your device keyboard.

takeshi
10-20-2008, 10:15 AM
The reason a Curve is a Curve is because it's browser and email capabilities. I'm not sure why you would want a Curve without the attributes it's known for.
Well, plenty of people use BB's without a data plan whether you get it or not. As for Sprint, I recommend checking with them but the CDMA carriers seem to mandate a BB data plan.

earthshaker78
10-20-2008, 09:35 PM
I think you are slightly off the mark here.

That website shows you how to enable your browser without actually signing up for a data account with your carrier.

while this is definitely a cool thing to know how to do, there are some potential side effects.

The biggest one being that you will still incur data charges from your carrier for all data sent over their network. This means that while you save $30 a month on your "plan" you will be charged the extortion style rates that carriers impose on anyone who does not have a data plan.

Now if you only plan to use the browser when connected to WiFi you can definitely go this route, but be aware that things could go wrong in a hurry with only a few "pocket presses" of your device keyboard.

Thanks for the response....

I have a PowerVision unlimited data plan...just didnt want to add a BB data plan...does that make a difference...or will I still be charged per kb?

Thanks again

rachamphetamine
10-20-2008, 10:34 PM
I think you will have to add the Blackberry data plan. Either way, if you want to take full advantage of a Blackberry's functionality, you will need either a BIS or BES data plan.

alb123
10-20-2008, 11:26 PM
You'll be surprised at home much you take advantage of the unlimited data plan. Right when I bought the BB I ended up in the hospital for a week, so this may be a little out of the ordinary. When I looked at my VZW bill online for that month (the data section), my bill would have been in the THOUSANDS of dollars had I been charged per kb.

That example may be extraordinary, however, even in the following months if I were to be charged per kb my bill would be several hundred dollars. Having a BB in your pocket is akin to having a computer strapped to your back all day long. ie., have 10 mins to kill waiting for an appointment/arrival? Why not check the latest sports scores, stock quotes, maybe drudgereport for any news? If your like most people your phone never leaves your side. Being too lazy to hit the pause button on my DVR, why not google that latest "product" being hawked on the commercials? And those are just "goofing
off" examples.

And I haven't even begun to mention work-related uses of the unlimited data package!

Chris

daphne
10-21-2008, 12:58 AM
Recommended reading:

What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_do_I_need_a_Data_Plan_for%3F)

BuzzBuzz
10-21-2008, 04:15 AM
Wirelessly posted (Curve 8310)

I agree with Alba, there's a reason it's called a "crackberry"! Non bb users don't understand but it is SO convenient and such a crutch...

It is so much more than a phone - it's a best friend (sniff)

southwestcomm
10-21-2008, 09:59 PM
The BB plan - $30.00 - also gives you unlimited Sprint Navigation - which you don't have now.
Either way if you want BB services you need to BB plan.