PDA

View Full Version : 8830 USB Port Broken, Alternatre Charging?

Dannyn
10-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Hello all,
I have a Verizon 8830.
Earlier today, the usb port decided that it does not want to charge anymore.
Looking further into this, the black part of the usb port is very loose.
I can get it to charge by setting a book on top of the part that plugs into the usb port.
I need another way to charge this phone.
I see that there is two connectors on the side that could go into a cradle, but have no been able to find one.
I would also be happy with buying a charger that I would have to take the battery out of the phone, and put the battery in that.
Any other options are more than welcome, maybe how to fix the usb port?
Thanks!
Dan

ezrunner
10-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (off to see the wizard)

Got to www.horizonwirelessonline.com or eshoplimited for a desktop charger

Dannyn
10-25-2008, 10:18 PM
I see a charger that I could use.
Thanks for the link.
I am going to try and convince Verizon that they should fix it.
Thanks, any other options are welcomed.

cpalmer17
10-27-2008, 09:10 AM
I see a charger that I could use.
Thanks for the link.
I am going to try and convince Verizon that they should fix it.
Thanks, any other options are welcomed.

You should search this topic. The faulty USB port has been discussed many times over. Bottom line: get VZW to replace the unit...don't let them tell you it's user abuse. It is clearly a poor design/mfg problem.

Dannyn
10-27-2008, 03:33 PM
How do I convince them that it is a bad design. What part of the USB port is a bad design.
I am going to call them and tell them that I was searching the internet, and this seems to be a common problem. ect.
Thanks!

cpalmer17
10-27-2008, 04:17 PM
How do I convince them that it is a bad design. What part of the USB port is a bad design.
I am going to call them and tell them that I was searching the internet, and this seems to be a common problem. ect.
Thanks!

That's exactly what I did...cited the numerous complaints and forum posts on how poorly this port is constructed and how frequently it fails. I really didn't get much resistance and they did, in fact, replace the unit.

jgb@etree
10-27-2008, 05:57 PM
I've noticed that Lenovo has come up with a 'solution'. It's not actually a solution to the problem, it just makes it an easy fix.

Your problem is not uncommon with PDAs, phones, laptops and anything else that required an external power source to charge.

Here's what happens:

While the device is pluged in, someone trips over the cord (or knocks the device off of a desk/table/etc) and the pull on the cord is strong enough to snap off the solder points on the motherboard. The only real fix is to remove the motherboard & resolder the connection points or replace the motherboard.

Starting with the T60's, Lenovo started making a 'floating' power recepticle that then plugs into the motherboard. When you break the power connector, you just have to open the chassis, remove the old connector, and replace it with a new one.

Simple, but brilliant.

Dannyn
10-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Yes, very. The problem is that I did not damage it.
What I did was called Verizon explained my issue, they recognized that it was a problem, and there will be a new 8830 at my house by Thursday.
Thanks for all the help.