PDA

View Full Version : please help: computer not recognising BB

blackberry-baby
10-25-2008, 04:00 PM
Hey guys, I have just gone to plug my BB into the pc and it dings to tell me I have connected it, but doesnt list it as mass storage. Would it do this normally?

When i bought the blackberry it came with just the charger, so do I need to buy the desktop software cd to allow me to sync it with my pc?

betterlate1
10-25-2008, 04:58 PM
No the 8700 will not be recognized as mass storage.
You do not need to buy software, it is available free from Vodafone website.
Desktop Manager will let you sync your device to any machine running Windows OS.
Don't forget:
D/L and install a copy of your Device OS on your computer (delete vendor xml)
D/L and install Desktop Manager
Do Not use a USB hub to connect your device to your computer
Enjoy

link to RIM for software
BlackBerry - Desktop Software - BlackBerry Desktop Software at BlackBerry.com (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/)

blackberry-baby
10-26-2008, 02:28 AM
There are hundreds of different versions???? Which one do I need?

betterlate1
10-26-2008, 02:45 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700c)

If you use winxp you will have good success with Desktop Manager Ver 4.2 sp2 or Ver 4.5 - its your choice whether you pick a version with Media Manager or not. Media Manager let's you easily move picture and sound files from your PC to your 8700. It takes quite a while to install and everyone thinks there are problems when the Roxio Installer "hangs" for about 30 minutes. Be patient. If you are running win vista you will probably want to try Desktop Manager ver 4.6. Let us know how it turns out. Welcome. My PIN is to the left.

blackberry-baby
10-26-2008, 02:47 AM
Thanks, I have tried adding people to blackberry and it just says pending all the time - do I need to have web and email enabled for it to work?

betterlate1
10-26-2008, 02:54 AM

Yes you need a BB data plan to use BB Messenger.

blackberry-baby
10-26-2008, 02:57 AM
ahhh that would explain it then - I think I am gonna have to bite the bullet and go for the extra bundle.

my contract is already 40 a month (750 mins & unlimited texts) and because its on a high cost contract , having the blackberry bundle means its going to be 55 a month ($110!!)

Is it worth it though? In your opinion?

betterlate1
10-26-2008, 03:04 AM

Did you sign a contract? Have you checked Orange? My UK buddy Smileycamper uses Orange. Seems happy since it was cheaper?

blackberry-baby
10-26-2008, 03:08 AM
Yeah I am with Vodafone, I mean with hindsight if I knew I was gonna have a blackberry I would have had a cheaper contract - but anyway.....yeah I was thinking of going for it.

As i mentioned before I have two phone contracts, one phone I dont even use and its costing me 30 a month!!!! ridiculous!! so anyway, when that expires next month I might use that money and put it towards web and email for the blackberry

betterlate1
10-26-2008, 03:16 AM

Wow! I'm paying that much for a Family Plan with 5 phones and my BB unlimited data! You must find a better plan! btw, I tried to discontinue my BB data feature and I had to re-enroll (crackberry addict) I couldn't take not hearing the "ping" every 5 minutes. I'm probably too biased to ask if its worth it! Must stay globally connected.

blackberry-baby
10-26-2008, 03:20 AM
Yeah I get you, well I might ring the customer services and see if they can do me some sort of deal.

They did say in the store that they COULD make it cheaper, but it would lengthen my contract - which doesnt bother me to be honest

betterlate1
10-26-2008, 03:23 AM

Uh oh...you're getting hooked...time to "talk to frank" about your new habit!

betterlate1
10-26-2008, 03:25 AM

Listen to me! Its 4 am here and I'm still typing on this blasted thing! I'm leaving, good luck , pm me anytime.

blackberry-baby
10-26-2008, 03:26 AM
ha!!!! lol not good - do you have Frank over in the US then? for drugs and that

betterlate1
10-26-2008, 03:33 AM

No smiley is a psych nurse in sw yorkshire. He had to write a paper on the evils of smoking marijuana and I helped him with layout for an info poster. we were competing against franks campaign.