PDA

View Full Version : Can I do a partial restore?

Redflea
10-27-2008, 09:29 PM
I did a backup today before I did a JL Commander wipe and then reload.

I'd like to restore just a few things from the backup, like my browser favorites, some logs, etc.

I can't find a way to do that - if I click on restore and navigate to the backup file I get a warning that I'm about to replace everything on the phone w/the backup version, which I don't want.

Do I have any options, or is the restore function an all-or-nothing function?

Thanks!

rambo47
10-27-2008, 10:07 PM
To the best of my knowledge it's an all-or-nothing operation. I've not heard of "partial" restores, at least not with Blackberry.

Redflea
10-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Bummer...as Kevin Kline said in his greatest role:

"Disappointed!!!"

monkeypaw
10-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Wait, partial restores are possible. Depending on which version of DM you are using, you have to find the "Advanced" button or tab in Backup and Restore.

Then you open a backup file, and select the things you want to restore, and get to it.

rambo47
10-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Wait, partial restores are possible. Depending on which version of DM you are using, you have to find the "Advanced" button or tab in Backup and Restore.

Then you open a backup file, and select the things you want to restore, and get to it.

Ah, that option is not available on DM 4.2. Guess it's time to finally upgrade.:oops:

monkeypaw
10-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Ah, that option is not available on DM 4.2. Guess it's time to finally upgrade.:oops:

4.2 SP2 has it. Click "Backup and Restore" and there's an "Advanced" button on the second to lower right. In the upper left of the widow that comes up it says "File". Click that to open the backup file.

Redflea
10-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Aha!

DM 4.5 doesn't have that partial option...I thought I remembered a partial option, but assumed I had made it up via wishful thinking.

The advanced button in 4.5 opens a window showing the phone contents on the right, but the window on the left "Computer databases" is empty.

So I'd have to downgrade to 4.2 SP2 to get that back....hmmmmmmm

monkeypaw
10-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Aha!

DM 4.5 doesn't have that partial option...I thought I remembered a partial option, but assumed I had made it up via wishful thinking.

The advanced button in 4.5 opens a window showing the phone contents on the right, but the window on the left "Computer databases" is empty.

So I'd have to downgrade to 4.2 SP2 to get that back....hmmmmmmm

I don't know about 4.5, but you have to open a file for the left side. There should be a "File" in the upper left side that gives you a menu to open a file.

fonejunkie
10-28-2008, 12:19 AM
nevermind... I misread the question...

Redflea
10-28-2008, 09:08 AM
I don't know about 4.5, but you have to open a file for the left side. There should be a "File" in the upper left side that gives you a menu to open a file.

DOH! Yup - the "File" option is there, I just missed it. In my defense, the option is in small type, and I sit a long way away from my screen... ;)

Thanks...restoring just the things I want to right now. :D

rambo47
10-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Good to know a partial is possible! *files away for future use* :)

NJBlackBerry
10-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Been that way for years. When the 8320 first came out, a full restore clobbered UMA. A partial restore (only messages and browser bookmarks) allowed UMA to work properly (restored certificates stopped UMA).

pearloid
10-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks for this, y'all. Before I installed 4.5, I wiped the Curve, did the regedit/policy.bin thing (hoping to get rid of any last remnants of my old BES IT policy) and reconfigured everything. I just wanted my old bookmarks back.

Still waiting for an empower pro update. Still waiting for a way to unlock the firewall, though I'm not holding my breath on that.