PDA

View Full Version : blackberry modem tethering? free or pay?

vincentnyc
10-28-2008, 08:35 AM
i know there are instruction on this forum how to setup your blackberry as a tethering modem. but what i'm confused is...is it free or you need to pay extra for it? i remember someone said it's free and others said u have to pay. so can someone confirm it once and for all?

ps i'll plan to get bis on my 8310 curve with at&t. if i just get that and try to tether my laptop with my blackberry w/o any tethering plan...will it work? if yes, will at&t able to detect that i'm tethering and i will be charge extra for at end of the month for it? or they totally disable this feature, so u can't do it no matter what until u call them up to activate it?

Frank Castle
10-28-2008, 08:41 AM
At&t, Verizon it's extra (10-15 month) .. Sprint it's included.

vincentnyc
10-28-2008, 08:43 AM

for at&t...do they need to activate the plan for u first in order to use it?

djm2
10-28-2008, 08:49 AM

Not necessarily; it depends on the plan.

vincentnyc
10-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Not necessarily; it depends on the plan.

ok...what do u mean by that? lets say i have just the at&t bis $30/month plan...can i tether for free...yes or no?

stapes
10-28-2008, 09:14 AM
i think you have to pay extra, i know with telus for example i have the unlimited data but in the fine print it says any usage incurred on a laptop or desktop will cost $8/mb

vincentnyc
10-28-2008, 09:23 AM
i think you have to pay extra, i know with telus for example i have the unlimited data but in the fine print it says any usage incurred on a laptop or desktop will cost $8/mb

well thinking is not enough...i need a confirmation...does any1 here who tether their bb as a modem with at&t and let me know? thx in advance.

Andi
10-28-2008, 09:25 AM
call your provider and ask about your plan

soupandsandwich
10-28-2008, 09:26 AM
well thinking is not enough...i need a confirmation...does any1 here who tether their bb as a modem with at&t and let me know? thx in advance.

Nice attitude. If you want a definite answer, then call your carrier.
People are trying to help you, voluntarily. Maybe a little gratitude is in order on your part.

In my experience, the $30 BIS plan from AT&T does not include tethering.
Tethering is a $30 per month add-on on top of your BIS plan.

monkeypaw
10-28-2008, 09:27 AM
Nevermind. Call you carrier and ask.

monkeypaw
10-28-2008, 09:31 AM
People are trying to help you, voluntarily. Maybe a little gratitude is in order on your part.

Geez, makes me want to delete my answer now that I read vincentnyc's post. In fact, that's what I'm going to do.

vincentnyc
10-28-2008, 09:38 AM

Tethering is a $30 per month add-on on top of your BIS plan.

well i was trying to get a definitive answer here before calling the carrier...u always get rep that dont know what they are talking about. sometimes they give u different answer depending who u r talking to.

anyway...with at&t...can u tether w/o the add-on? or at&t need to put this feature in order to get it to work? i want to take a test drive and see how well the connection before i get the plan.

jsconyers
10-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Vince, if you don't want to contact your carrier, check their website. A little research goes a long way. I don't have AT&T but was able to find this

Available Data Rate Plans | AT&T wireless services (http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/popup/dataconnect-comp-table.jsp#blackberry?wtLinkName=BlackBerry&wtLinkLoc=BDY)