PDA

View Full Version : Want To Know Cool Things You Can Do On A Blackberry?

abcdjzmcbt
10-31-2008, 07:56 PM
I wanted to make this thread to show people a lot of cool things you can do with BlackBerry! Most people don't use this phone to its fullest because they are not aware of all the things it can do. This thing can make your life a lot easier and entertain you for hours! I hope this thread sheds some light on what makes BlackBerry different from other phones and so addicting!

Control PC from BlackBerry. No matter where you are you can view your desktop screen and zoom in and out with full control over the mouse and keyboard - RDM+

Yahoo Messenger, Aim, ICQ, Google Talk, BB Messenger, MSN Messenger

Play songs on home stereo/pc speakers. I have a stereo (12 speakers) in my room and is connected to my computer with a little $6 RCA to 3.5mm jack. I have a bluetooth adapter (around $19) on the computer that I connect my BB with. I set the software to play any sounds coming from my blackberry on the computer. Also I can play sounds from my computer on my blackberry. - Widcomm Bluetooth Adapter

View web pages as they ACTUALLY look. - Opera mobile

View slide show of your pictures.

Play FULL LENGTH movies on your blackberry!
(This process is for movies that are already ripped or downloaded to your computer.)

1) Download Alive Converter to convert to Xvid AVI using 320 x 180 and the default settings.
The video will play fine but the audio will not sync properly to the video because of the frames per sec. To fix that do step 2.

2) Convert to final format by downloading BlackBerry Video and select 'Custom Video Resolution' and enter 320 x 180'
This will give you perfect picture and audio thru the entire movie. Also it cuts the size from 4gb or 700mb down to only 300mb! So you can fit at least 3 full length films on a 1gb card. (I like raising the volume to LAME +5 when I want it loud so other people can watch and listen. Also you can switch to full screen and watch movies and the BB light will not go dim while it is playing). On long rides, lunch breaks, you're never bored!

New features of OS 4.5 (free upgrade on blackberry.com)
-Stream media. Watch Youtube or listen to the radio.
-Use playlists in media player.
-Use video capture.
-Record audio.
-Use up to 16gb memory card.

Run emulators like Super Nintendo and play games like Super Mario Kart, Mario World etc.

Download software to view and edit Office docs like Excel and Word.

Built in ability to view word documents but only in .TXT format.

The ability to program dial extensions. If you have to pay a bill every month and hate using the automated phone service, you can program the extensions you dial into your blackberry so whenever you call the number, the BB will remember what to press.

Reliable task scheduler/calendar. I'm not a morning person, but we all have to work. So I scheduled an alarm for every weekday and the BB never let me down. I can hit the snooze button and set snooze length in settings. I make sure I have extra fail safe alarms in case I don't get the hint.

Change the color of the trackball and/or indicator light at the top. -Color Pearl

Download powerful Google maps. Whenever I go out of town, Google will find the nearest signal tower and give me a relatively close guess as to where I am (not using GPS). I can have it pull up gas stations, restaurants, even clubs.

The headphone jack is not proprietary (use any standard headphones). The charger is not proprietary (can be charged from usb any computer).

Set your calendar to automatically switch profiles. If you have classes between 9am and 2pm you can set it to vibrate during that time and go back to normal during other times. -BB Profiles

The screen back light is bright but is not abrasive. So at night you can use your blackberry light to walk around the house without tripping over things or just to find something you dropped in a movie theater. (a small feature but very useful)

This operating system never crashes! Now days this is a huge plus especially for anyone who used Windows Mobile. This can run for months literally but its a good idea to reset it every now and again.

If you use all its features, this becomes an all-in-one device that eliminates the need for many smaller devices. No need for mp3 player. No need for Video Ipod. No need to carry a laptop around if all you need is to email and work on word docs quickly with a full keypad.

Fast and reliable backup system. Use desktop manager. Create full backup. It saves all of your messages, calender appointments, tasks, phone book, etc. Basically everything but programs. Also you can use desktop manager to connect to your BB thru bluetooth! I cant express how much this saved me when I accidentally broke my usb connection and I had no way to backup my device before I replaced it. I found I could just do a full backup thru bluetooth (even when everyone including BB tech support was doubting me :) ). When I got my replacement phone I restored everything and it worked flawlessly. There are few phones out there with a backup and restore system this easy and reliable.

And the main reason I love BB is because usage-wise it is one of the fastest phones on the planet! You cannot type as quickly on any other device (certainly not the iphone). You don't have to worry about over sensitive or under sensitive touch screens or dialing with your cheek. You can set your side button to lock your device quickly or do anything like launch the camera or media player. The standard belt clip has an opening for all the buttons on the side and top so you can still play/pause music (mute key at the top) turn volume up or down (rockers on the side) and play the next song or go to prev song (by holding up for next and down for prev) which is incredibly useful when you are running/exercising while listening to music or if you just dont want to pull it out every time. And all these music control buttons work no matter what program is on the screen or if phone is locked. BlackBerry is good for people on the move a lot and don't have time to sort thru menus like some '2-handed devices' like the iphone. Sometimes I end up accessing this phone while driving, I know this shouldn't be done but it happens anyway, but it is easy and quick to maneuver to where I need to go (good luck accessing a touchscreen phone while driving :P).

I hope this thread helps anyone trying to decide between BlackBerry phones and others like the iphone. Let me know of any cool and useful features I left out. :)

DacyJ
10-31-2008, 08:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (by a fat naked guy!)

That has to be one of the best posts I've read on here, thank you.

jmhillis
10-31-2008, 08:24 PM
how do you control your pc with the blackberry, just curious didn't know this was possible? Do you need additional software?

hrddrv
10-31-2008, 09:07 PM
how do you control your pc with the blackberry, just curious didn't know this was possible? Do you need additional software?
You need RDM+ RDM+ :: Remote Access Tools (http://www.rdmplus.com/)

wingrider78
11-01-2008, 06:26 AM
Wirelessly posted (8320 Titanium)

How do you run emulators??? Where did you find any to run on the BB?

MrKyoo
11-01-2008, 07:23 AM
How do I operate my coffee maker with my BB?

ezrunner
11-01-2008, 07:24 AM
^^^now that would truly be handy^^

SteveO86
11-01-2008, 07:40 AM
I must say I am kinda curious on running emulators, I've had a BlackBerry for over year. How do I do that? (i've got a ton of emulators, I just don't play any more. lol)

williams17
11-01-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm stupid, what's an emulator?

daphne
11-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Emulator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulator)

An emulator duplicates (provides an emulation of) the functions of one system using a different system, so that the second system behaves like (and appears to be) the first system. This focus on exact reproduction of external behavior is in contrast to some other forms of computer simulation, which can concern an abstract model of the system being simulated.

agadgetgeek
11-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Hmmm, didn't know you could use your calendar to change the profile...any elaboration possible?

gadgetfanatic
11-03-2008, 06:32 PM
I wanted to make this thread to show people a lot of cool things you can do with BlackBerry! Most people don't use this phone to its fullest because they are not aware of all the things it can do. This thing can make your life a lot easier and entertain you for hours! I hope this thread sheds some light on what makes BlackBerry different from other phones and so addicting!

Control PC from BlackBerry. No matter where you are you can view your desktop screen and zoom in and out with full control over the mouse and keyboard - RDM+

Yahoo Messenger, Aim, ICQ, Google Talk, BB Messenger, MSN Messenger

Play songs on home stereo/pc speakers. I have a stereo (12 speakers) in my room and is connected to my computer with a little $6 RCA to 3.5mm jack. I have a bluetooth adapter (around $19) on the computer that I connect my BB with. I set the software to play any sounds coming from my blackberry on the computer. Also I can play sounds from my computer on my blackberry. - Widcomm Bluetooth Adapter

View web pages as they ACTUALLY look. - Opera mobile

View slide show of your pictures.

Play FULL LENGTH movies on your blackberry!
(This process is for movies that are already ripped or downloaded to your computer.)

1) Download Alive Converter to convert to Xvid AVI using 320 x 180 and the default settings.
The video will play fine but the audio will not sync properly to the video because of the frames per sec. To fix that do step 2.

2) Convert to final format by downloading BlackBerry Video and select 'Custom Video Resolution' and enter 320 x 180'
This will give you perfect picture and audio thru the entire movie. Also it cuts the size from 4gb or 700mb down to only 300mb! So you can fit at least 3 full length films on a 1gb card. (I like raising the volume to LAME +5 when I want it loud so other people can watch and listen. Also you can switch to full screen and watch movies and the BB light will not go dim while it is playing). On long rides, lunch breaks, you're never bored!

New features of OS 4.5 (free upgrade on blackberry.com)
-Stream media. Watch Youtube or listen to the radio.
-Use playlists in media player.
-Use video capture.
-Record audio.
-Use up to 16gb memory card.

Run emulators like Super Nintendo and play games like Super Mario Kart, Mario World etc.

Download software to view and edit Office docs like Excel and Word.

Built in ability to view word documents but only in .TXT format.

The ability to program dial extensions. If you have to pay a bill every month and hate using the automated phone service, you can program the extensions you dial into your blackberry so whenever you call the number, the BB will remember what to press.

Reliable task scheduler/calendar. I'm not a morning person, but we all have to work. So I scheduled an alarm for every weekday and the BB never let me down. I can hit the snooze button and set snooze length in settings. I make sure I have extra fail safe alarms in case I don't get the hint.

Change the color of the trackball and/or indicator light at the top. -Color Pearl

Download powerful Google maps. Whenever I go out of town, Google will find the nearest signal tower and give me a relatively close guess as to where I am (not using GPS). I can have it pull up gas stations, restaurants, even clubs.

The headphone jack is not proprietary (use any standard headphones). The charger is not proprietary (can be charged from usb any computer).

Set your calendar to automatically switch profiles. If you have classes between 9am and 2pm you can set it to vibrate during that time and go back to normal during other times. -BB Profiles

The screen back light is bright but is not abrasive. So at night you can use your blackberry light to walk around the house without tripping over things or just to find something you dropped in a movie theater. (a small feature but very useful)

This operating system never crashes! Now days this is a huge plus especially for anyone who used Windows Mobile. This can run for months literally but its a good idea to reset it every now and again.

If you use all its features, this becomes an all-in-one device that eliminates the need for many smaller devices. No need for mp3 player. No need for Video Ipod. No need to carry a laptop around if all you need is to email and work on word docs quickly with a full keypad.

Fast and reliable backup system. Use desktop manager. Create full backup. It saves all of your messages, calender appointments, tasks, phone book, etc. Basically everything but programs. Also you can use desktop manager to connect to your BB thru bluetooth! I cant express how much this saved me when I accidentally broke my usb connection and I had no way to backup my device before I replaced it. I found I could just do a full backup thru bluetooth (even when everyone including BB tech support was doubting me :) ). When I got my replacement phone I restored everything and it worked flawlessly. There are few phones out there with a backup and restore system this easy and reliable.

And the main reason I love BB is because usage-wise it is one of the fastest phones on the planet! You cannot type as quickly on any other device (certainly not the iphone). You don't have to worry about over sensitive or under sensitive touch screens or dialing with your cheek. You can set your side button to lock your device quickly or do anything like launch the camera or media player. The standard belt clip has an opening for all the buttons on the side and top so you can still play/pause music (mute key at the top) turn volume up or down (rockers on the side) and play the next song or go to prev song (by holding up for next and down for prev) which is incredibly useful when you are running/exercising while listening to music or if you just dont want to pull it out every time. And all these music control buttons work no matter what program is on the screen or if phone is locked. BlackBerry is good for people on the move a lot and don't have time to sort thru menus like some '2-handed devices' like the iphone. Sometimes I end up accessing this phone while driving, I know this shouldn't be done but it happens anyway, but it is easy and quick to maneuver to where I need to go (good luck accessing a touchscreen phone while driving :P).

I hope this thread helps anyone trying to decide between BlackBerry phones and others like the iphone. Let me know of any cool and useful features I left out. :)

......um....read and respond to your email??

ejmccartin
11-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Hmmm, didn't know you could use your calendar to change the profile...any elaboration possible?

yes, that would just be too cool, and I would love to know how!

egruber
11-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Where do you get Blackberry Video mentioned below? Is that part of Desktop Manager?

----------------------------------------

Redflea
11-04-2008, 11:06 AM
yes, that would just be too cool, and I would love to know how!

Changing profiles automatically requires a third party app like BB Profiles.

StrikerTTD
11-04-2008, 11:47 AM
How do I operate my coffee maker with my BB?

I will get to work right now on a Network-Ready Coffee maker right away!

nchavez
11-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Wow. What a great thread! Thanks for taking the time to show some other uses that don't know all the great features all the cool things to do with your Berry. Somewhere, someone is going to read this and I can picture a head exploding with all the cool features that they didn't know about!! :razz:

02tones02
11-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Great Post! Thanx

A.

ricpac
11-04-2008, 12:39 PM
(y) x2!

For me, the flashlight make-shift app is the way to go! It's the video recorder! :razz:

Thank you!!

sjk1431
11-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Thank you for the great post. :smile:

Dan54
11-05-2008, 01:18 AM
This post is by far one of the best I have seen on this board. I have owned my BB 8320 for almost a year and am barely using all the features mentioned as opposed to just an average cell phone

LiGhtNiNRoD
11-05-2008, 03:10 AM
Excellent post! You should work for RIM! Hee hee, =P

PaulMdx
11-05-2008, 07:46 AM
......um....read and respond to your email??
I'm not sure I'd classify that as a "cool thing". ;-)

Also, please don't quote the whole original post in your reply. You added about 30% to the length of the page for no reason. :smile:

badabing79
11-05-2008, 08:36 AM
You need RDM+ RDM+ :: Remote Access Tools (http://www.rdmplus.com/)

Any known free alternative (appart from VNC) ?

ppapared
11-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Don't forget Rove Mobile Admin for remote management of your servers. It also has graphical remote control of servers or desktops. Use it all the time to reset user passwords while at lunch :)

clevebb
11-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Emulator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulator)

Does that mean you had to look it up? ;-)

wissawac
11-07-2008, 01:30 AM
Sometimes when i convert movie into BB, sound work fine but screen is delayed.
Any idea?

JBall8276
12-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Great post

cliffjenkins
12-02-2008, 10:37 PM
One night I needed some sort of light beside the screen, I went to the camera app and then to option and turned the flash on manual, talk about a bright light! :smile:

Jperez18
12-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Now if only I could program my BB to pay my bills, do my laundry and cook my meals...it would be the ultimate device! haha

French
12-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Now if only I could program my BB to pay my bills, do my laundry and cook my meals...it would be the ultimate device! haha

Weeellll...there is SplashMoney for bill payment and online bank sychronization (and budget reporting etc. etc. etc.)

You can also keep your grocery shopping list with you everywhere you go. I'm always thinking of what I need at the weirdest times. Used to keep a list at home or in my purse, but if I wasn't home or near my purse I never remembered what I needed to later to write it down. Now I can just add it to my grocery list on the BB (using SplashShopper for that). I really do find this to be immensely helpful.

CellFire for getting coupons directly on your device to use for discounts. Very cool and I hope this sees big growth because I'm tired of cutting coupons and then forgetting them or them expiring, etc. With cellFire you just look to see what current offers there are and when you get to the locale of the offer you pull up the coupon code and then bingo...discount applied.

My camera came in super handy when my step son had a serious accident. He actually called me himself immediately after it happened so like any parent I ran out the door with cell phone, keys and a towel on my wet hair (I had just gotten out of the shower). I had grabbed the phone because I knew I needed to call his father enroute to the scene of the accident. Because I had my phone with me I was able to get pictures. I know that may sound a little weird that I'm glad I have them...but it's a good reminder of how much worse it could have been and how lucky he (and the other driver) were. I don't hesitate to whip those out to show his friends or another parent or anyone that just seems to need reminding of the seriousness of not paying attention while driving.

Mine also came in handy visiting my parents. My husband and step son wanted to hit golf balls but my dad doesn't play golf so has no idea what options there are near him. He got out the yellow pages, I whipped out my Blackberry. I fired up windows live (he started flipping pages), I searched for golf courses in the area (he was still flipping pages), I looked at the locations from the results (he was now running his finger down the page and calling out names of miscellaneous courses for "approval" I guess). I clicked on the phone number of one that was listed as only 9 miles away. He was having a discussion with my mother, my husband and my step son trying to decide which course might be closest and open to the public. My phone call went through, someone answered and confirmed it wasn't a members only course and I hung up. I then had to wait for my family to finish their conversation at which point my father announced he would call ______ to see if they were open to the public. He then got up to go get the phone and I told them I had found one. It was kind of comical really.

I can research movies and update my netflix queue whenever I want. Someone recommends a movie, I can add it to my queue right then and there.

I can listen to "books on tape" (Audible) on a long commute or when working out.

At any given time I have at least 4 or 5 novels ready for me to read them, without hauling stacks of books (Mobi Reader).

I can call my parents and video tape my husband doing a happy dance to "rub it in" that my dad's favorite team just lost...my dad just needs to go to Qik online to see it live, while it's happening. This would be so cool to use for new parents to show off their little ones to new grandparents. Not the best picture quality, but can you imagine being able to talk to the new parents while seeing your grandchild for the first time at the same time?

I saw where someone wanted to be able to monitor their security cameras and sure enough, there is a program out there you can load on your BB that enables you to do exactly that.

Really, every day it seems more apps are being developed. This reminds me of what Palm used to be. It's very exciting.

rurapente
05-03-2009, 02:22 PM
but i dont agree with the typing faster than on iphone. my iphone "buttons" were actually bigger than any BB i've used, so i went from a +/- 5% error rate on the iphone to about 20% on the BB.

Trimix
05-03-2009, 04:30 PM
but i dont agree with the typing faster than on iphone. my iphone "buttons" were actually bigger than any BB i've used, so i went from a +/- 5% error rate on the iphone to about 20% on the BB.

It's an adjustment. You'll get back to normal with time and practice.

rurapente
05-04-2009, 03:40 AM
yeah u right. i just need to give it time. its getting easier already.

Sytner
05-04-2009, 05:16 AM
Kudos for the thread. :smile:

kinesen
05-04-2009, 06:25 AM

Need some more help I run Bold

Damaged7
05-04-2009, 10:56 AM
C'mon with the emulator info already.

Its cool and all for you to tell us about it, but if you're not gonna tell us how to do it then thats just a tease.

Spoor
05-07-2009, 03:40 PM
How do I do this one?

Trimix
05-07-2009, 05:39 PM
You need a schedule profiler.

AJEnglish
05-11-2009, 08:42 PM
This is a great post as I have only had my Curve for about 1 1/2 months, had a Pearl before that.

I have discovered one feature that i wish was on the Curve. When I am on a phone call, I would love to be able to hit the voice recorder, especially if I am receiving directions or a witness is telling me something I would like to relay to our attorney. Anyone know of a way to do this, or an app that will do that?

TNX

05-12-2009, 02:25 AM
wow nice post!!!

seunbaba
05-12-2009, 10:59 AM
how do i install a jad file on my 8830

Raptor464
05-12-2009, 11:04 AM
This is a great post as I have only had my Curve for about 1 1/2 months, had a Pearl before that.

I have discovered one feature that i wish was on the Curve. When I am on a phone call, I would love to be able to hit the voice recorder, especially if I am receiving directions or a witness is telling me something I would like to relay to our attorney. Anyone know of a way to do this, or an app that will do that?

TNX

To quote Apple commercials: "theres an app for that"