PDA

View Full Version : Used Pearl: Removing old e-mail (address) of owner??

steakman
11-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Well the title says it all. I have tried in every way that I know and cannot seem to find the right sequence of events to make this dissapear...so that I can add my own e-mail address (non-business -BIS.?)

Now I believe that this e-mail address is linked to a business (BES.??), whereby e-mails come to the previous owners laptop/desktop inbox as well as the BB.

I also believe that it is tied to the PIN of the unit as well.

Any help would be appreciated.:?

Telus is the service provider.

Thank you,

stk

Berry One
11-01-2008, 12:54 PM
It should be rather easy to check if old email address is on BES, usually employer of user@<hidden> can be found at www.whatever.com

Options you have:

- Check 'contact us' at www.whatever.com and email them telling you bought device which gets emails from their office. They should become interested.

- From your device, start emailing hr@<hidden>, help@<hidden>, security@<hidden>, abuse@<hidden> - you've got the idea. Make template of polite email telling recipient you have device getting emails from their company. Put it to every email you send from device to @<hidden> BlackBerry can do cut and paste.:)

Of course, they could end up nuking your device - BES can do that. You might find device was, well, misappropriated.

Actually, you could start with emailing, from device, to that old email address. Email will get to user mailbox which he/she could be checking, old user may be interested to get their old email address from your device fast and discreetly.

sandsjh
11-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Try removing the BES policy.
Remove IT Policy - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Remove_IT_Policy)

John Clark
11-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Steakman, your issue is that the previous owner still has an email address tied to the pin of the device. You need to get your carrier to try and get the pin released. This is a common problem when purchasing used BB's and can be tough to get worked out.

steakman
11-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanx John.

I kinda figured out (after lots of reading here), and you have just confirmed that the only way was to contact that e-mail address which is for the person that I bought it from and asked her to contact
Telus and see if she can get them to release the PIN such that I can go ahead and do a straightforward BIS set-up. This unit wasn't bought from some guy on the corner with a trench coat, so I really do not expect any issues.

Thanx for your help guys....and some damned good reading here too.!

JL_Cmdr, IT Policy Remove procedure to name a cpl....still can't figure out how to get JL working though..?? it just blinks with what looks like a DOS or Command line screen and then disappears in an instant.??

Cheers,

stk