PDA

View Full Version : Sim Option!!

cartiel
11-04-2008, 01:37 AM
Hello again Blackberry fans (I think I'm the guy who's going to earn the reputation of talking too much) Here's my story: I just recently upgraded my Blackberry from the 8830 to the 8330 (and I absoultely love my Sprint network!) and being a total crackberry addict I grabed the first curve I could get my hands on (lol) and immediately had the reps. at Sprint set it up for me. Now I was originally looking for another Blackberry that could offer me the same SIM option as my 8830; I get the phone home and do all of my Blackberry procedures and discover that I had picked up the wrong curve! My 8330 does not have a SIM option available. Now I've been doing a little reading about the Curve and at least two different times I've over heard people go on about their Curves SIM capabilities. My question is this: before it is too late for me to return my phone and replace it with the one I intended to buy to begin with, could someone please tell me which of the Curves comes equiped with the SIM option? Is it the 8320 or the 8310? Thanks again people.

ezrunner
11-04-2008, 06:46 AM
Wirelessly posted (troydbrown is Chad!)

Sprints curve does not support sim

NJBlackBerry
11-04-2008, 07:09 AM
The only reason you need a SIM card in a Sprint BB is to use it outside of North America. Only BB you can do that with is the 8830.

What are you trying to do? Why do you need a SIM card in a Sprint BB?

takeshi
11-04-2008, 09:08 AM
My question is this: before it is too late for me to return my phone and replace it with the one I intended to buy to begin with, could someone please tell me which of the Curves comes equiped with the SIM option? Is it the 8320 or the 8310?
Both. It's not a SIM option really. The 8300, 8310 and 8320 are GSM models. They have to have SIM card support since they're GSM.

It does sound like you're putting the cart before the horse -- what do you need SIM card support for? The 8330 is the only CDMA Curve out there so unless you can switch carriers there isn't another Curve that you can use. If you need a Sprint BB that supports GSM overseas then you'll have to go back to the 8830 as it's the only world edition BB offered at the moment.

Be sure to read the full specs and make sure that any smartphone fully meets your needs before buying!

cartiel
11-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Well it seems that Sprint only offers the 8330, and doesn't carry any other Curve. I initially need a SIM to travel beyond the coverage range; it's just to be sure I don't lose service if I should happen to be traveling on a boat to far from the island. I know it doesn't sound serious, but you can never be to sure; so with that being said, is there any other option that I can go by to rest assured that I won't exceed the limits of my initial coverage range (I'm going to be moving soon)?

NJBlackBerry
11-04-2008, 02:17 PM
The SIM only works if you travel outside of North America. You do know that, right?
Not sure you understand what the 8830 "World Edition" actually does.

cartiel
11-04-2008, 02:27 PM
The SIM only works if you travel outside of North America. You do know that, right?
Not sure you understand what the 8830 "World Edition" actually does.
**I know what the 8830 can do, and the only reason I did the upgrade is because I thought a Curve could do that and more, but apparently I was incorrect. I think it might be a fine time to join Blackberry anonymous.**

StuartV
11-04-2008, 02:30 PM
If you're on a boat in North America, and out of range of a CDMA tower, you're probably not going to get a GSM tower, either.

If you're going to be outside North America, then you need to either go back to your 8830, or wait a couple more weeks, switch to Verizon, and get a 9530 (Storm).

If you must stay with Sprint, your only choice is to go back to the 8830. Or possibly buy a Verizon 9530 that is unlocked or that you then unlock yourself, to use with Sprint.

cartiel
11-04-2008, 03:06 PM
If you're on a boat in North America, and out of range of a CDMA tower, you're probably not going to get a GSM tower, either.

If you're going to be outside North America, then you need to either go back to your 8830, or wait a couple more weeks, switch to Verizon, and get a 9530 (Storm).

If you must stay with Sprint, your only choice is to go back to the 8830. Or possibly buy a Verizon 9530 that is unlocked or that you then unlock yourself, to use with Sprint.
**I'll have to keep that in mind! Thanks Stuart.**