PDA

View Full Version : Wi fi only?

marklar1980
11-04-2008, 02:06 PM
I have purchased a Curve 8320, simfree and unlocked, with the intention of using it when I go traveling soon.

I assumed that I would be able to use all the internet applications such as web browser and programs such as the facebook app. simply over wi-fi. However, after reading some posts on here I think I have made a huge mistake. I just assumed that by having wi-fi there would not be necessity for a data plan and that a similar level of functionality would exist over wi-fi (apart from the push email of course).

Can anyone please clarify whether I will be able to do this or not? Thank you

TroyDBrown
11-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Here are all the answers:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi-hotzone/99353-8320-without-data-plan-what-you-can-can-t-do.html

marklar1980
11-04-2008, 02:20 PM
I read quite a chunk of that thread before posting.

I still don't understand, as later on in the thread the discussion turns to downloading service books. I don't intend ever taking a data plan so is this a complete waste of time even trying?

I wish I had read this prior to my purchase now! I just assumed that (like other wi-fi devices) I would be able to bypass the network providers data system and do most things that can be done on a blackberry via wi-fi connectivity.

TroyDBrown
11-04-2008, 02:23 PM
The majority of programs are documented in the first page of that thread.

You may want to consider a Windows Mobile device. A BlackBerry is built around the infrastructure of RIMs network.