PDA

View Full Version : Opera Mini?

mackman37
11-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Well I have been using the opera mini browser in my curve for awhile now and I was just wondering if anyone knew if it would be compatible with the Storm. I know RIM has worked hard on the BB browser for the storm but until I can compare the two for myself, I am going to say that Opera has the better browser. Opera has always worked great for me. My only question is do you think Opera will work on the Storm. Does that fact that its touch screen make a difference?

xxDruMMer BoYxx
11-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Well I have been using the opera mini browser in my curve for awhile now and I was just wondering if anyone knew if it would be compatible with the Storm. I know RIM has worked hard on the BB browser for the storm but until I can compare the two for myself, I am going to say that Opera has the better browser. Opera has always worked great for me. My only question is do you think Opera will work on the Storm. Does that fact that its touch screen make a difference?

Being that the Storm is touch screen, does raise a question on whether there will be an Opera Mini for it. But I'm pretty sure the guys at Opera are doing something for it. Wouldn't be any reason why they wouldn't make it compatible with the Storm.

akosnitzky
11-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Maybe the Storm browser will be so good that we will not have the same reliance on the Opera Mini

Jason Mark
11-05-2008, 07:57 PM

Maybe the Storm browser will be so good that we will not have the same reliance on the Opera Mini

That is definitely want they want. The Storm's browser is much much better than browsers on any BB to date. I didn't/wouldn't consider OM on a Storm. I believe the native browser is just fine.

akosnitzky
11-05-2008, 08:18 PM

Thank you and at a minimum it will force OM to significantly improve their product.

AuburnChopper1
11-05-2008, 08:50 PM
They released another update today, and on that update, it claims (and shows) a full html browser, along with expanded video capabilities.

Because of a silly 10 count post rule, I can't post the link, but trust me, you can find the updated info through Verizon.

Jason Mark
11-05-2008, 08:56 PM
The Storm's browser is as close to full HTML as any RIM device has been to this point. It really is a step up from the Bold.

mackman37
11-06-2008, 12:09 AM
I don't doubt that the browser will be much improved over my curve. It better be anyways, but from what I have read its still not the greatest. I have faith that it will be comparable to opera mobile and i hope that maybe it will be comparable to mobile safari. That being said, here is to hoping.

SpeedFreak
11-06-2008, 01:41 AM
The Storm's browser still won't have multi-tab/window support making it fairly inferior to Safari on the iPhone.

BR14
11-07-2008, 10:57 PM
The 4.6 browser is a significant improvement. It doesn't quite compare to the iPhone, but has built in device features like GPS accessible from javascript, supports Ajax etc. so I imagine it could be cool for building websites that are location aware.

Add to that the other device specific features and the minor disadvantages are irrelevant for the developers among us.

RIM is definitely close. They've apparently rewritten the browser entirely and are clearly making rapid progress.

Having said that it wasn't difficult to improve on the pre-4.5 browser.

Now all I need is something to run it on other than a simulator.

thunderstorm
11-08-2008, 12:17 AM
I need to stick to the BB browser (Storm or Bold) because if I use anything else my carrier will charge me like a wounded bull for the data use!

Arcangel
11-08-2008, 12:34 AM
if anything i will download FENNEC when it is released in full blown release. (Mobile Firefox) reviews have already said it craps all over iphones safari in speed and rendering, tabs and all with possible flash support.

mackman37
11-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Ok so apparently OM now has a new beta in the works, do you think they might be making it for use on new devices like the storm? My friend has it the 4.2 beta on his curve and he said its much faster then both the current OM browser and the BB browser. I hope it works on the storm because from what he was showing me the pages render twice as fast as any video I've seen of the storms browser. Oh and FYI I have yet to download it myself, but I will be as soon as I have the time to kill to play with it.

iamanewuser
11-14-2008, 10:56 AM
According to the guys over at pocket-lint when they reviewed the phone there was / would be a version of OM available for the storm.