PDA

View Full Version : Moved BES to new server, cant connect to Sametime on old BES/Domino box

ARXXBES
11-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Wirelessly posted

Successful knife-edge change, moved from win2k, domino 7 box with sametime 7.5 limited and BES 4.1.6 MR1 via SQL 2k5 express.

Current setup is on win2k3 domino 8, no sametime w/ BES 4.1.6 MR1 (soon to be MR2) via SQL 2k5 express.

All is working well, except Sametime Messenger for BBerry.

What I'd like to acheive is have all of our existing users connect thru the Sametime server on the original box.

I have included the new BES ip in the Community/TrustedIPs of the original sametime server.

I've used the IM mapping and BES config tool on the new BES to point it to the old server ip on port 1533.

Everytime I login with the bberry sametime messenger, I receive "service not enabled for this device"

What is the key setting to get this to "kick"?

An help would be appreciated!!

noname
11-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Is the BlackBerry Collabration service started and running? Check Windows services (servces.msc).

ARXXBES
11-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Collaboration will not start on the new BES box, I'm assuming because it's not installed. We want to keep our desktop and mobiles connecting through the old server.

Is it a requirement to install the same version of Sametime on the new BES? What am I missing here? I tried to install the same version on the new BES box, (Sametime Limited v7.5.1) and was halted. Sametime 7.5.1 cannot be installed on a Domino 8 box.

Grrrr...

Downloading and installing Sametime 8.0 to install on the new BES.

Any other suggestions to connect to the old Sametime server within the same Domino domain?

ARXXBES
11-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Wirelessly posted

Installed Sametime 8 on new BES, Collaboration service STILL does not start.

After much research, I understand the "concept" of connecting to an external sametime server. RIMs documentation is hard to follow, and I don't understand the BES to IM mapping under Service Control in BBM.

Do I need to keep the BES collaboration task running on the old server even though there are no more users?

Help!!!

ARXXBES
11-21-2008, 03:25 PM
I can't get collaboration service to stay running.

I am not being affected by the steps outlined in KB05008 - BlackBerry Collaboration Service and BlackBerry MDS Services fail to start after installation

I am not using a named instance and my MDS services are functioning correctly.

As previously explained, I have moved the BES to a new box, currently running Domino 8.0.2 w/ Sametime 8 Ltd. using SQL Express 2005.

Jadey
11-21-2008, 04:41 PM
OK, if this is any help:

SameTime does not have to run on BES - I have never had my SameTime server on BES.

I assume you have your mail on R8 servers? and BES on R8. I have never tested interoperability between Domino 8 servers and SameTime 7.5, but if you can sign in from a notes client, I assume all is OK. But this could be a wrong assumption...

Your root issue here is getting the collaboration service to run. If I understand correctly, do you now have 2 SameTime servers running? You shouldn't need to do this for BES. Also, on your old BES/ST server, are all BES components removed or off? In an earlier post you mentioned starting the collaboration service on the old server, and this sounds unusual...

ARXXBES
11-25-2008, 10:37 AM
Jadey, thanks for the reply!

Mail/address books/memos are on an R7 server, running Sametime 7.5. All client computers (mostly R7, soon to be SmartUpgraded to R8) are able to connect to the R7 Sametime server at logon. Even my test machine running R8 client is able to connect to the old R7/7.5 box.

As of yesterday, I had two sametime servers running (One R7 7.5 and one R8 8.0)

On the old BES/ST server I removed all of the old BES components/registry keys/SQL Databases and Services. Rebooted and no BES/Blackberry Services are running. I also reviewed both configuration documents for both servers, and "unset" the R8 box as a Sametime Server and left the R7 as the Sametime Server.

I have used the BES Server Configuration Tool (Collaboration tab) to reference the old server by Host Name as well as by internal IP. Neither will bridge the gap...

One thing that I've noticed, is in the BlackBerry Manager, under my SERVERNAME_BBIM_1 properties, there is an area for "Connection to Blackberry Server (no items)". When editing this, I am unable to make any changes, unable to add a new reference, all options/buttons are grayed out.

The reason I bring this up, is because under my SERVERNAME_MDS-CS_2 properties (which is functioning correctly), there is also a "Connection to Blackberry Server (1 item)" that references the CN=SERVERNAME/O=DOMAIN of the new BES.

Any other suggestions? This seemingly simple issue has got me stumped...

Jadey
11-25-2008, 10:47 AM
The crux of your issue seems to be inability to config the BBIM data.

MDS_CS governs web browsing, not really linked here I think.

I am thinking....

Jadey
11-25-2008, 10:50 AM
One thing that I've noticed, is in the BlackBerry Manager, under my SERVERNAME_BBIM_1 properties, there is an area for "Connection to Blackberry Server (no items)". When editing this, I am unable to make any changes, unable to add a new reference, all options/buttons are grayed out.

This is a problem. My BES shows one entry under that section, pointing to my live BES (only 1 here). I'm trying to think why you cannot edit yours. Are you running BlackBerry Manager remotely or on the BES? Is your service status (for BBIM) running? DO you have only one instance of BBIM under the BlackBerry Domain?

ARXXBES
11-25-2008, 11:17 AM
BBManager is (and always has) been running on the BES box.

Yes I have only one instance of BBIM.

I found "KB14343 - BlackBerry Collaboration Service will not remain in the started state" on BTSC which seems to apply to me. >>Link (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/articles/360/KB14343_f.SAL_Public.html)

I reviewed the Server Config and IM Config tables in SQL 2k5 and they both make reference to Id=2

When I reviewed the RelationSCIM table, there is no reference to Id=2. I'm working to manually enter it to see if this fixes my issue.

Update >>

SQL Server Management Tool:

select * from ServerConfig
- this displays the Id (in my case the value was 2)

select * from IMConfig
- this displays the Id (in my case the value was 2)

select * from RelationSCIM
- this query should display results that match the values above, in my case there were no values(null), which was causing BB Collaboration Service to start/stop)

I ran an SQL insert query against the RelationSCIM table to reference the Id=2, restarted the BlackBerry Collaboration service, and it stayed running!!

I now have an entry in the BBIM properties (1 item), pointing to the new BES box. My BIPPe password took a dive, but I've removed the registry entries and re-created the password. Rebooting BES services now.

Getting there!

ARXXBES
11-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Blackberry Collaboration Service is running smoothly now... no interruptions.

I am getting the following error from the Dispatcher though:

[BIPPe] Authentication failed for [SRPID]:C3,BBIM:Authentication Failed

Even after deleting the Collaboration service registry key for BIPPe...

Suggestions?

Jadey
11-25-2008, 12:33 PM
What account is the service running with? Local or domain?

ARXXBES
11-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Local

Jadey
11-25-2008, 12:48 PM
I run mine with a domain account. I have no idea whether it will make a difference, but as we are now firmly on "take a stab in the dark" territory, I am just calling out differences between my (working) ST and yours...

ARXXBES
11-25-2008, 01:53 PM
SOLVED >>

As it turns out, the reference in the SQL table that was missing was the root of my issue.

I rebooted our old BES/ST box, which now only holds mail and runs Sametime 7.5. After reboot, I was able to login from my handheld.

Other users who had set to "Automatically Log In" started logging in (with mobile icons)

Yayy!!!

Thanks for all your help, Jadey... our great minds hammered out this problem, and it's officially fixed.

Jadey
11-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Good job ARXXBES! I do like a happy ending :D