PDA

View Full Version : Help Using IMAP w/ Gmail Acct

robertmills33
11-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Hi, I have been trying to set up my Gmail account using IMAP since I get a fair amount of emails on a daily basis. I have followed these instructions posted on google's help site for BlackBerry IMAP setup. My gmail account is setup with IMAP enabled as it should and everything works fine until I try to put in the IMAP email settings for google. At this point I get an "email validation" error.

I have checked the forum before posting, hopefully I'm not "reposting" another thread that's active.

Thanks in advance for any help!

zerog46
11-05-2008, 09:28 PM
So your having a problem adding it on the BIS Website.

robertmills33
11-05-2008, 09:37 PM
On the website and the device. Neither one works.

zerog46
11-05-2008, 09:41 PM
So when you entered the account on the BIS site you did not put in the password and got to the next screen. And you double checked the advanced tab and checked the the port is set to '993' and 'Use SSL' is set to 'Yes.'

robertmills33
11-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Never got an option for the Advanced Tab to set the port and use SSL.

The furthest I get is to Add User Name, Password, Email Server, and Email address. After I enter the information, it pops up saying "An error occurred during account verification. Please check your information and try again."

zerog46
11-05-2008, 10:31 PM
And the first part you put in your email, and not the password and it should take you to the next page.

robertmills33
11-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Correct, I don't insert my password to get on to the next page.

zerog46
11-05-2008, 10:57 PM
I had a problem before, I would double check the password and make sure you follow the steps word for word on Google and it should work. I will reset mine up and see if it works.

robertmills33
11-06-2008, 12:52 AM
Figured that it would work, didn't think Google would steer me wrong. Double checked everything and no luck. :(

whsbuss
11-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Had the same problem late yesterday adding an IMAP gmail account. Its a problem with the BIS for IMAP/Gmail as other IMAP accounts are working fine. Before anyone asks, I did insure I had IMAP enabled on the gmail account settings.

scottjb
11-06-2008, 02:12 PM
I just had this problem today. I had to enable IMAP and POP in Gmail, then it worked.

whsbuss
11-06-2008, 05:54 PM
I just had this problem today. I had to enable IMAP and POP in Gmail, then it worked.

When I did that BIS selected POP3 in the advanced settings instead of IMAP even when I defined imap.gmail.com for the mail server. Needless to say I never got any mail - so back to POP.

SteveO86
11-06-2008, 07:14 PM
GMAIL IMAP does seem very unstable... although unstable might be too harsh, I wish they would get some good BlackBerry function going... Yahoo email works pretty nicely with BlackBerry.

But I've Gmail for years so....

zerog46
11-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Same her I wish they would get it working. Yahoo works great for reconciling, but stinks for everything else.

Abbsta
11-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Never got an option for the Advanced Tab to set the port and use SSL.

The furthest I get is to Add User Name, Password, Email Server, and Email address. After I enter the information, it pops up saying "An error occurred during account verification. Please check your information and try again."

I followed this guide (https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=78882&topic=12761) by Google and it works fine. I also have POP disabled.

scottjb
11-08-2008, 11:34 AM
When I did that BIS selected POP3 in the advanced settings instead of IMAP even when I defined imap.gmail.com for the mail server. Needless to say I never got any mail - so back to POP.
This happened to me too. I deleted the account a few times and recreated it. Eventually it got created as IMAP. Not very friendly, I know, but it did work.