PDA

View Full Version : Verizon - texting only

fastfinger
11-12-2008, 10:57 AM
My daughter lost her Verizon ALIAS phone and now wants a Blackberry--but doesn't need the extra business features... just texts her fingers off! HELP - how to get Blackberry on Verizon for cheapest plan... no emails, etc -- just phone and texting!!! Model recommendations appreciated... quickclick@<hidden>

jsconyers
11-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Welcome to the forums.

Verizon requires a blackberry data plan when you purchase a blackberry. If you are not looking for that, then maybe the BB is not the right device for you.

The 8130 and 8330 are both nice devices. The Storm is also coming soon to Verizon.

Heavy Fluid
11-12-2008, 12:15 PM
The LG enV2 is another phone that is good for texting but does not require a BB plan. You can find them cheaper on eBay or your local Craigslist.

scottjb
11-12-2008, 01:16 PM
The LG enV2 is another phone that is good for texting but does not require a BB plan. You can find them cheaper on eBay or your local Craigslist.
Agreed. The evV2 is a great phone for texting--no data plan required. Full keyboard and a big screen. Using a BB just for texting is a waste of $30 per month.

Redflea
11-12-2008, 01:17 PM
I would also suggest the ENV2...my sons have that phone, and love it. Full keyboard for texting, will allow her to use a memory card for songs and video, and is a nice size/form factor.

A BB on Verizon makes no sense for someone who isn't going to do email/web on it, since the data plan is required.

korp
11-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Yup like already said verizon requires you to have the internet plan. Last time I checked it was like $20 per month for unlimited internet and then $10 or so for unlimited text. There are some alternatives to blackberry phones that have similar functions. The 'voyager' seems to be a pretty new and neat phone as well as the 'dare' and both are touch screen phones. You could get the cheaper blackberry (8703e) and spend the rest of the money on internet but thats up to you.

Redflea
11-12-2008, 06:49 PM
BB data plans for Verizon are $29 (BIS - personal) and $45 (BES - work) a month.