PDA

View Full Version : Storm and Blu Ray Live copys?

ylomnstr
11-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Hi all, new to the forums here. I've been thinking about getting a BB unit for a while now, but have held off. Now with the storm, I think it may be time. I'm wondering if you guys have any idea yet if the Storm will be able to play the Blu Ray digital copy files? For example Wall-E and the new Batman Blu Ray discs will come with a digital copy. That would be a great bonus for both BlackBerry and Blu Ray. I did a search and was unable to find anything. Thanks and I look forward to posting more after I get a Storm!

Rob

Shaun
11-13-2008, 09:33 AM
Here is what I know at this point: Blu-ray Disc(TM) (BD) Profile 2.0 or BD-LIVE is only available as a service on devices that are able to playback/read Blu-ray discs. As part of the "experience" some Blu-ray Live enabled movies allow for downloading of bonus content, and even allow for the sending of select content to mobile phones. The content that is sent to mobile phones, is a standard A/V format and should be able to be played back on a wide range of devices.

ylomnstr
11-13-2008, 09:46 AM
I apologize but I think I worded it wrong. I meant to ask about the Blu Ray discs that come with the digital copy. Will I be able to upload that digital copy to play on a Storm?

jay427
11-24-2008, 01:37 PM
I would also like to know. I've imported the "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" digital copy as a test but can not get it on my device. I have it both in itunes and as a wmv file, but 1. with itunes, I can only move music, and 2. with wmv it says that it is copy protected...I really want to get these digital copies on my device so they have some sort of use to me. Thanks!

ylomnstr
11-24-2008, 01:41 PM
I would also like to know. I've imported the "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" digital copy as a test but can not get it on my device. I have it both in itunes and as a wmv file, but 1. with itunes, I can only move music, and 2. with wmv it says that it is copy protected...I really want to get these digital copies on my device so they have some sort of use to me. Thanks!

Let me know if you find an answer. My coworker got a Storm, so I suppose we can try on his also, but I'd like a definitive answer.

Hebdog7
11-25-2008, 01:53 AM
1. You need some kind of compressing software, otherwise your files will be huge. BB DM takes WAY to long converting for optimal playback.
2. You will need a decrypting software for the protected discs. Basically any digital copy or regular DVD.

This works as I have Star Wars The Clone Wars animated version and Wall-E both on my Storm. The file is only 512MB versus 4.6GB.

jay427
11-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Hebdog, can you please point us in a direction to get the software needed to do this? I have a lot of blu rays with digital copies and really want to put some on my Storm. Thanks!!

Hebdog7
11-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Wirelessly posted

Hebdog, can you please point us in a direction to get the software needed to do this? I have a lot of blu rays with digital copies and really want to put some on my Storm. Thanks!!

Any compressing software for movies. I use Zoom or something like that. Look for compressing software for iPods. That's what my zoom software is. I'm not at home or I would tell you what it is exactly. I will post up again when I get home.

The decrypting software I use AnyDVD made by slysoft. Go to slysoft.com.

AnyDVD will run around $40 and the compressing software around the same.

jay427
11-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks Hebdog, I'll check out that decrypting software. I wish there was a free version though. I mean, I thought that the digital copy that you get for buying a blu ray would be enough to put on a portable device. They seem to advertise them as such...

Hebdog7
11-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks Hebdog, I'll check out that decrypting software. I wish there was a free version though. I mean, I thought that the digital copy that you get for buying a blu ray would be enough to put on a portable device. They seem to advertise them as such...

Thinking a little more about it, if you can get it on your computer you "should" be able to use BBDM to get the movie on your BB.

But I may be wrong. I had to use the decrypter for my digital copy.

jay427
11-25-2008, 09:53 AM
I've got it successfully on my computer as a .wmv file but when I try to push it to the BB, it says that it is copywrited. I've also put it in itunes, but the only thing we can sync with itunes seems to be music, not movies.

papageno19
11-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Blu-ray digital copies are usually included on a second disc that is a DVD and not a Blu-ray. You can use it in your DVD drive to load the movie onto the computer. Sometimes they let you choose the format you want to save it in and other times they don't, in which case you can use a converter/decrypter to change it to mp4 or something.

muddler
12-06-2008, 07:01 PM
I have a new Storm and I cannot copy the digital copy of Wall-e to the device. The copy protection gets in the way. Even if I go around the Media Manager to upload the file onto the BB, if I try to play the movie the whole phone crashes.

Anybody have a fix for this? It is silly for Disney to include the digital copy for a portable without any ability to get it onto a phone...

morcegohoman
12-09-2008, 02:47 PM
I just bought "Dark Knight", dragged it into my Blackberry via Windows, and when I go to play it it crashes my Storm.

peteyspambucket
04-30-2009, 11:47 AM
I'd like to know if anyone has had any more tries with the Blu-Ray digital copies in the last (almost) 5 months, especially with users who have the latest OS installed.

It is my thinking that it should be as easy as dragging the file from the digital copy disk onto a mini-SD card. I've seen people write about using other tools to modify the file, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Any updates?

zero7404
05-02-2009, 10:13 PM
blu-ray disc is a high definition video/audio format.

i have decrypted and copied an HD tv show that i purchased from the itunes store in order to play it in other media players such as vlc, as well as to be able to play it in ubuntu, hence justifying the removal of DRM for my needs. i have also converted some dvd movies into an MPEG-4 mp4 format for playback on the storm.

after decrypting the itunes HD tv show file, the video/audio remains in-tact, the only thing that was touched on the file was removal of DRM. i transferred this file to my storm and tried to play it, but it returned an error, would not play it.

there is a small window of what kind of resolutions, video frame rates, audio tracks that a mobile device can handle. i think it's both a hardware and software limitation, although i bet support will get better with future OS releases....

your only option would be to find a decrypting/decoding software that will automatically convert what's on the disc to a format that the storm likes.

so far, i have found that an MPEG-4 based mp4 file with a resolution of 640x360 (or close) and a frame rate of 30 fps (or close) in stereo with a sample rate of 44.1 kHz will play back fine.

i have tried divx avi format and the storm does not like it.

if you need to know what kind of software and settings i found work best, just ask....