PDA

View Full Version : BES Security Policies on Storm?

slance66
11-14-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm on a corprate BES, and all Blackberries receive a security policy that includes screen lock, with a password. How does that work on a touchscreen phone? I'm about to order a Storm, and I assume that RIM has figures this out and a virtual keyboard will pop up for unlock purposes (and 911 calls) but I have not seen anybody describe how this has been implemented on the Storm. Does anyone know?

Frank Castle
11-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Nothing yet but I would imagine touching the screen would bring up the standard lock screen. Why would you want to disable the screen as it's the primary method to interact. Something similar to the iPhone is what I'm guessing we will see.

slance66
11-14-2008, 10:12 AM
I don't want to lock the screen, but on a normal blackberry, the unlock screen comes up, and you input a password to unlock it. On the Storm, obviously the unlock feature has to shut down the general functionality of the touchscreen, or the security policy is useless. I'm guessing a keyboard will appear to permit the password to be entered, but there is no information about that anywhwere.

celeb
11-14-2008, 11:16 AM
I'd give the simulator a shot, unless you want to wait until Nov 21st.

I'm in agreement that the storm would likely have the keyboard appear upon touching while the device is locked.

slance66
11-14-2008, 08:25 PM
I got an answer from my neighbor who works for RIM. When you click the “lock” button at the top, or “click” the screen, the screen “unlocks” to reveal a password field and a keyboard layout. Just type your password at that point.

photoshop
11-15-2008, 10:27 AM
I got an answer from my neighbor who works for RIM. When you click the “lock” button at the top, or “click” the screen, the screen “unlocks” to reveal a password field and a keyboard layout. Just type your password at that point.

Confirmed this on my live device...all works fine