PDA

View Full Version : I want to change my iPhone 3G for a BB... Bold, Storm or Curve?

soundtracksparis
11-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Hello,

I have an iPhone 3G and I would like to change it for a BlackBerry, but which one: the Storm, the Bold or the new Curve. I would like the one that is going out the earlier in France. Furthermore I would like a BB to have BBM.

I just have a few questions:

1/ Is the BB and Mac sync better ?
2/ When the BB Store as the App Store is going out?
3/ Does the BB Storm keyboard feels like a real keyboard?
4/ When the new BB Curve is going out.

I'm 17 so this is not for a real professional use. And I already had the Pearl but I didn't like it.

Thank you and sorry for my English mistakes. ;-)

akg
11-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 9000)

What carrier are you on? Not all carriers will have all of the phones you are looking for. You may not be able to get the Storm with your carrier.

I just got the Bold and I can tell you that you won't be disappointed!

urvec
11-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Get the new curve, the old one is awsome, and the 8350 must be a big improvement.

soundtracksparis
11-15-2008, 07:17 AM
Thank you for your answers. In France we have a law about the locked cell phones. A phone should be sale unlocked. Sure it's expensive... But when we love! So the carrier isn't a problem, but I'm on Orange.

The new curve doesn't have 3G. And I like to go on the Internet with my iPhone in the car. So I would like a BB to do the same, that's why I love the Storm. But the Bold & Curve are really beautiful!

In my class 3 persons got the BB Bold and don't you find it is a little bit too big in your pocket? And if you add an iPod in your pocket...

david9962000
11-15-2008, 08:20 AM
The Bold is a great BB if you're coming from an iphone.

ndub33
11-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Your best bet is get some "hands on" experiece with each device at a local retail store. Play with them a bit, ask questions-it will help you decide which one is right for you.
Having said that, I don't think you could make a bad choice-they are all good.

soundtracksparis
11-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Yes, I want to try the Storm before buying it.

laurence100
11-15-2008, 04:14 PM
stick with your i phone friend,i got the storm today and compared to my i phone it is rubbish:cry:

soundtracksparis
11-15-2008, 04:43 PM
So what do you prefer? iPhone or BB?

For me, when the BB Store will be set, the Storm will be an iPhone with BBM and without wi-fi, have I right?

G M Fude
11-15-2008, 06:18 PM
..the Storm will be an iPhone with BBM and without wi-fi, have I right?
Pretty much. And the Bold will be an iPhone with a proper keyboard, which might be preferable if you do a lot of e-mails while travelling.

The OS on the latest Bold should support 16 GB MicroSD card, so you don't really need your iPod any more -- all those songs you ripped in iTunes are directly transferrable onto your BB in iTunes format (.mpa4). Got more than 16 GB of music? No problem: burn the rest of the songs onto a second (or third!) MicroSD card. Unlike iPhone, BB supports removeable media.

rambo47
11-15-2008, 06:22 PM
There is no firm date for the BB Store. It's little more than a rumor at this point. I tend to doubt EVERYthing until I actually see it. Maybe this comes from having been a long-time Palm user, and those tossers are infamous for killing products just before they hit the streets.

The Blackberry in general syncs well with a Mac, either through PocketMac (free, better with older Macs) or through Mark/Space's Missing Sync (http://www.markspace.com/products/blackberry/blackberry-sync-mac-software.html) (paid, but works with newer Macs).

The keyboard on the Storm is not going to feel like the real keyboards on current Blackberrys. There is no way to make a virtual keyboard feel as real. Tactile/Haptic feedback can help some, but not completely replace the feeling of hitting actual keys on a keyboard. Everyone will just have to try it out to see if they like it or not.

As for the new Curve 8900, a.k.a. Javelin, I haven't seen a confirmed date from anybody yet.

soundtracksparis
11-16-2008, 04:54 AM
Is the bold easy to go on the Internet? And the Bold will not have any app as Shazam...? The memory card reader is good, but I read the song bought on the iTunes Store can't go on the memory card, is it true?

Maybe I will buy an iPod Touch to stay in touch with the iPhone, but how will I be able to use app as Shazam... who request 3G? On the BB is there a possibility to use it as a modem?

PocketMac doesn't works with me!

Thanks

rambo47
11-16-2008, 11:47 AM
You can only play iTunes songs on an iPod/iPhone. There are ways around the DRM that prevents them from being played on other devices, but those are all a pain in the butt.

Going online is as easy as clicking on the Browser icon. 3G is automatic if you have coverage, otherwise the Bold automatically selects 2G. And it works WAY better than the iPhone as far as 3G goes. Personally, I like to keep my music separate, on an iPod. If the latest version of PocketMac doesn't work, try Mark/Space's Missing Sync. (http://www.markspace.com/products/blackberry/blackberry-sync-mac-software.html)

soundtracksparis
11-16-2008, 12:17 PM
I'don't know, Storm or Bold....? Ahhh

kingkempy
11-16-2008, 12:24 PM
soundtracksparis - i dont know whether this would be a dealbreaker for you or not but the Storm does not have wi-fi. I got the Bold yesterday and had a choice between the two and the lack of wi-fi tiped it for me!! No doubt that the Storm is an awesome piece of kit and the floating screen works well and is slightly smaller - it depends what you're looking for.

soundtracksparis
11-16-2008, 12:40 PM
I don't care about the wi-fi! I'm looking for something that looking like the iPhone, with an easy Internet access, and maybe in the future some applications availability.

Do you think if I buy the Storm on eBay US it will works in France (BBM, 3G, SMS, Phone, Internet...)?

Thank you very much.

iLawCDN
11-16-2008, 12:57 PM
I bought an iPhone 3G on July 23rd of this year. As of today, I am back to my Curve. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my iPhone 3G. But the main reason for switching back is because of the lack of service on my carrier's (Rogers Wireless) 3G network.

My iPhone was awesome at being everything but a phone. The calls would drop, or fail to connect at all; I would have times where someone would call me and the phone wouldn't ring...

All my problems were network related, and I just couldn't afford to miss calls like that. I owned a BlackBerry 8300 a year and a half ago, until July 23rd. Thank god I kept it. Now I'm back on it, and everything is good again.

To answer some of your questions, as a Mac User and a Blackberry owner...
1) You can use PocketMac or Missing Sync to sync your Blackberry to your Mac. Both are not as reliable as their Windows counterpart, but they get the job done. PocketMac is free, but somewhat more problematic than the Missing Sync alternative (costs $20 USD to purchase it). Unfortunately, you will still need Windows Desktop Manager to load apps or update the OS on your Blackberry, however, it is rumored that there is a Mac version of Desktop Manager in the works.

2) BB Store is in the works as well, and there really isn't an official release date for that yet.

3) I haven't touched a Storm yet, but the fact that you have to push into the screen is kinda disturbing... at least with the iPhone it's touch sensitive instead of push sensitive to type. You aren't bending the screen (or the protective layer over it)

4) The new Curve 8900 is releasing in Germany within a few days, and has just passed FCC so it is expected before Feruary in North America. Not sure about European release dates.

soundtracksparis
11-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Thank you for your answer.

Can you just tell me if I buy a Storm on eBay US, it will works in France?

;)

soundtracksparis
11-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Can someone answer please?

G M Fude
11-19-2008, 05:46 AM
Well, I guess no one can say for sure.

Please let us know when you find out by trying it yourself! :)

soundtracksparis
11-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Sure, I'm not sure to buy it on the US because on eBay UK there are, but in France the Storm come out tomorrow on the carrier website, and the 3th December in store, so I don't know what's the best solution to have it fast,and with the lowest price...

G M Fude
11-20-2008, 02:53 AM
The cheapest option isn't always the best option for you. 3rd December is not so far away; go and put your name down now. Meanwhile, download the user manual and familiarise yourself with its capabilities.

soundtracksparis
11-20-2008, 12:40 PM
I will buy it in Germany, it's the best solution!

soundtracksparis
11-22-2008, 09:48 AM
I bought it yesterday on ebay germany. Can you tell me what memory card slot is here? Micro SD? SD? SDHC? Or micro SD HC?

G M Fude
11-22-2008, 09:59 PM
MicroSD HC. Anything with higher capacity than about 2 GB will be HC.

soundtracksparis
11-23-2008, 04:39 AM
Right, so microSD and microSD HC are OK?

G M Fude
11-23-2008, 05:13 AM
Yep. Coincidentally I just bought an 8 GB MicroSDHC card for my 8110 yesterday. Amazing how much data can fit on something so tiny.

soundtracksparis
11-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Yes, I want the 32 Gb to beat my iPhone!

machiavell1
11-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Sure, I'm not sure to buy it on the US because on eBay UK there are, but in France the Storm come out tomorrow on the carrier website, and the 3th December in store, so I don't know what's the best solution to have it fast,and with the lowest price...

Est-ce que le Storm francais est deverrouillé, parce-que tous les Storms achetés en Angleterre sont verrouillés a Voda (excusez mon francais....je suis anglais...). Parce-que je vais a Paris en quelques semaines, et pourrais en acheter un la bas.

Ca coute combien en France?

soundtracksparis
11-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Bonjour, si vous voulez je peux parler anglais. En fait en France le Storm est sorti que sur le site de SFR (maison mère de Vodafone) pour le moment. Il sortira en boutique le 3 décembre. Quand allez vous à Paris? Il coûte 399 EUR mais est en rupture de stock(Téléphone mobile BLACKBERRY STORM 9500 : SFR (http://www.sfr.fr/mobile/telephone-portable/blackberry-storm-9500-thunder-panthera?vue=000agv&sfrcpid=t1_mob_model_goog)) mais reste à savoir s'il est débloqué ou pas. Sinon vous pouvez l'acheté sur eBay Allemagne, j'ai payé le mien, neuf, garanti, débloqué, 430 EUR frais de port compris.

Sinon votre français est très bien!