PDA

View Full Version : jivetalk question

Hgaara
11-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Do I need a Data plan to be able to use Jivetalk or can I just purchase it and start using it? I just want to use IM like Yahoo, but ehh cannot afford a data plan at the moment.

jsconyers
11-14-2008, 10:44 PM
You will need a data plan. There are other IM applications that use text messaging. You may want to look at going that route.

Hgaara
11-14-2008, 10:46 PM
You will need a data plan. There are other IM applications that use text messaging. You may want to look at going that route.

Do you know where I may find these? Also I am updating my 8700 at the moment and I accidently forgot to delete the vender.xml file.. my phone is unlock will this affect anything?

jsconyers
11-14-2008, 10:50 PM
If it an OS from your carrier, then no worries. If not, it probably wont prompt you to upgrade. I have heard that some versions of 4.5 have been installed without removing the vendor.xml file.

I use BeeJive, so I am not too familiar with the other SMS IM apps. I will look around and see what I can find for you.

Hgaara
11-14-2008, 10:55 PM
If it an OS from your carrier, then no worries. If not, it probably wont prompt you to upgrade. I have heard that some versions of 4.5 have been installed without removing the vendor.xml file.

I use BeeJive, so I am not too familiar with the other SMS IM apps. I will look around and see what I can find for you.

No I use T-Mobile and my phone is from Cingular, and I use the very latest OS release at the top of the page. I forgot to delete the vendor.xml file but I was still asked to update and it updated perfectly with no problem. I am checking everything, and all seems fine. Should I be worried even though it updated like it normally would?

jsconyers
11-14-2008, 10:59 PM
No, if your phone loaded the OS, then you should have nothing to worry about. I would just go into options > About to verify the version on the device is that of which you installed.

Hgaara
11-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Yup, went to options and about, and 4.5 is now installed. Alright so I am 100% safe? No side effects? Oh and btw thanks, if you could find at least one of those IM that use Text messages that has support for Yahoo then I would greatly appreciate it.

btw, I made a backup of my last 8700 before I RMA'ed it, and I would like to be able to just get my SMS out rather than doing the whole back up. Is it possible?

jsconyers
11-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Yes it's possible, click on backup restore and go into advanced. Scroll down to SMS and select that to copy over to your device.

As for the SMS IM application, it looks like OZ Instant Messenger will work for you. Be sure to have an SMS plan on your account.

Hgaara
11-15-2008, 12:01 AM
Awesome thank you for solving that problem.

Alright I will check it out and yes I have unlimited text messaging. I checked google like crazy, and I cannot find a download link to that program. Can you help me?

Also, do you know where I can download game ringtones (Zelda theme and FFVII victory theme specifically) on my computer so I can transfer them to a phone and then text them to the 8700? They have to be in mid, midi files.

jsconyers
11-15-2008, 12:08 AM
A google search found this site VGMusic - 27,025 Game Music MIDI files (http://www.vgmusic.com/)

I was able to find Zelda and FFVII MIDI files on there.

Hgaara
11-15-2008, 12:43 AM
Hey can you tell me which one is it exactly, the one I want sounds very similar to this one

Zedge | Download Zelda Theme ringtones to your cell phone - nintendo video game zelda (http://www.zedge.net/ringtones/476413/zelda-theme-ringtone/)

except that one is mp3 and I need the midi file, so can you show me which one has the one that sounds closest to that one, I will search for it as to not be a completely lazy bum haha

Haha forget everything I said, it appears I would click the name and it would play rather than right clicking and choosing save as. Thanks dude I owe you one.

jsconyers
11-15-2008, 12:58 AM
Good deal! Glad you got things settled!

Hgaara
11-15-2008, 12:59 AM
One last thing, when I go to Desktop Manager, and choose help and Device properties, it says my battery is at 40%, and when I check my phone it states 100% and it doesn't charge anymore. Which one is correct?

jsconyers
11-15-2008, 01:04 AM
I would go by what the device itself says. If you hold alt and type EACE and it shows 100% I would go by that.