PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Berry

hottweelz
10-22-2004, 09:42 AM
So I Ebay'd the Dell Axim X5 Pocket PC and a TMobile Phone... and jumped into the Blackberry 6710, I figured it's a good phone for learning on. I'm a little disappointed over the 8mb/1mb usage but I'll deal... I installed webmessenger as a trial (for now) for AOL because I already can't figure out what the heck TMobile is trying to explain when it comes to installing the AIM Service on there website.

Also since Saturday, TMobile has YET TO ACTIVATE my Web Service... I have an escalated Ticket in with the PDA Group and still have nothing since Saturday...

I upgraded from the factory 3.3 software to 3.6 (??) sound close? And the thing slowed down tremendously...

My Blackberry battery doesn't last me more than two days without recharging :( and not even surfing the web... I'm at a bad start and hope this stuff improves...

Things do get better right?

jibi
10-22-2004, 10:35 AM
i wouldn't expect too much out of the low-end of the black & white models, to be honest. they were nice a year ago, but the grass has certainly gotten much greener since then as well. those particular handsets were about $400-500 when they first came out and are now $50 if you have the right connections at a provider.

my 6710 received excellent battery life, though - almost a week at a time. i had the 16mb version though.

hottweelz
10-22-2004, 10:51 AM
I see a color one in my future, after getting used to the feel and some experience with it... just wonder if I see my commitment to Tmobile in my future... after 2 years of letting me down, they are hitting new lows.

bfrye
10-22-2004, 10:56 AM
If I were to go with a new one, I would definately pick Cingular... just out of experience with all the carriers...

Accordian Man
10-22-2004, 11:09 AM
Do you feel that Cingular is as strong in the Tri-State area (NJ, NY, PA)?

bfrye
10-22-2004, 11:26 AM
I haven't made it up that way, but simply with the Cingular/ATT merger coming, it will greatly expand Cingular's non-roaming coverage area I'm thinking.

JesseRPI
10-22-2004, 12:24 PM
Do you feel that Cingular is as strong in the Tri-State area (NJ, NY, PA)?

Try out the existing Cingular model in one of their stores to compare the speed. When I did this I was not impressed with the online speed, although the device itself had good responsiveness. Personally, I'd stick with Verizon/Sprint/Earthlink, if you want the fastest online access times.

You may also want to check out the specs on the new Treo 650 ->
http://discussion.treocentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Battery life is supposed to match the BlackBerry devices, the screen is a transflective TFT with 360x360 resolution, and there are a slew of other enhancements. Also, the Treo 650 supports POP3/IMAP/Exchange out of the box, with RIM BES support coming shortly. The only potential disadvantage that I see at the moment is the smaller keyboard.

Accordian Man
10-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Thanks JesseRPI, that's very helpful.

hottweelz
10-22-2004, 12:47 PM
A friend of mine here as Verizon and they do NOT OFFER Intenet on Blackberries at this time.