PDA

View Full Version : Vodaphone storm, no BES??

Mark_Venture
11-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Has anyone read this?

Vodafone customers give thumbs down to Blackberry Storm 9500 (http://www.mortgagebrokers4london.co.uk/article.php?article_id=1120)
it states...
BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES)

Blackberry is sold as a “business person’s phone”, but the new handset cannot handle the BES. Vodafone website and telephone sale teams do not mention this. This has resulted in businesses with an enterprise server not being able to use the e-mail feature. Vodafone do not know when this feature will be available or how much it will cost.
That doesn't sound right?

Can someone confirm this??

Stern
11-19-2008, 03:54 AM
nonsense

They have delayed the launch of them by a couple of weeks, it's a software issue.

BIS storms can be re-provisioned to work on BES (I was using one yesterday) but good luck getting Voda to reprovision a BIS device.

BigA
11-19-2008, 06:44 AM
Yeah right, Mortgage Brokers just know everything about Blackberry..

Joke:

What is 1000 Mortgage Brokers on the bottom of the ocean mean.

A good start!!

I still think I should keep my day job however.

financeman01
11-19-2008, 07:30 AM
Can anyone confirm (no speculation please) that the Verizon Storm will work on BES on Friday when it is rolled out?

Thanks

Thom
11-19-2008, 07:50 AM
Can anyone confirm (no speculation please) that the Verizon Storm will work on BES on Friday when it is rolled out?

Thanks

A quick hop over to RIM's website confirms that the Storm will work on a BES. Use the following link and scroll down to the e-mail section:

BlackBerry Storm - BlackBerry Storm Details - BlackBerry Storm Specifications (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/blackberrystorm/storm_specifications.jsp?navId=H0,C381,S2)

financeman01
11-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Thom, thank you for the link. I can handle a lot of the issues, but that would have been a deal breaker.

david_uk
11-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Can anyone confirm (no speculation please) that the Verizon Storm will work on BES on Friday when it is rolled out?Thanks

I was able to an Enterprise Activation with no problems, even though it said Prosumer (which usually means provisioned for BIS) on the outside of the box.

BigA
11-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Wow you people are really taking that article seriously? LMAO!!!

This would be no different if someone came out and said "The iPhone is unable to work with iTunes." News a 10..

dpeters11
11-19-2008, 09:58 AM
I thought it was a crackpot as well, but when you read the thread linked on the Register, it makes you think twice. A Vodafone forum admin saying that it currently does not work on the BES. The post is odd however, saying they don't have any BES handsets or price plans. They certainly don't need a special plan for BES 9500s, and they do carry other models I believe. Those had to work on BES, and RIM doesn't care what model it is.

Yet the very friendly TSupport tech says he activated one this morning. Maybe they have special service books. I'm sure to find out very quickly if I can activate 9530s. If somehow it doesn't work, my Verizon guy and RIM will not be happy to hear from me.

francodeman
11-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Wow you people are really taking that article seriously? LMAO!!!

This would be no different if someone came out and said "The iPhone is unable to work with iTunes." News a 10..

So true!

voda_black
11-19-2008, 03:51 PM
So true!

Well, I actually managed to get hold of two BlackBerry Storms (prosumer versions) from a Vodafone Retail store. My pre-ordered Storms on Vodafone for Enterprise have still not arrived. So I tried to put in my BES enabled Sim in the Storm - anticipating no problems - however, the Enterprise Activation option under Advanced Options was not there!

A call to Vodafone and I am told that I cannot use BES on Storm. Back to my Curve, I am now not able to send emails. Tried reactivating - thus sending new service books - but not working again!