PDA

View Full Version : Dust inside the screen, worth disassembly?

jhe888
11-19-2008, 10:38 AM
My 8830 has a little dust inside the screen at the bottom right. It isn't too bad, and you can only see it in some lights, but a personality defect I have makes this bother me. Is it worth opening it up to clean it? I can't find any instructions with pictures about how to do it - I found some old ones, but the links are bad. (The BlackberryFAQ site's pictures are just red Xs.) My questions are;

Is the risk of breakage high?

Will I end up with parts leftover?

Will I simply let more dust in anyway?

Would a can of compressed air blow the dust out, just move it around, or even blow more in?

Should I put it in the diswasher instead?

I am reasonably patient and careful, and succesfully replaced the trackball, if that helps assess my Blackberry maintenance skills.

jsconyers
11-19-2008, 11:36 AM
I've taken plenty of 8830 devices apart and the process is fairly simple. The FAQ should be updated soon with images.

The risk of breaking it is very slim as long as you're patient and careful.

You should not end up with any left over parts.

You run the risk of allowing more dust in the device. Make sure you do this in a dust free environment.

Compressed air should remove the dust. Make sure you're in a well lit area so you can see any potential dust particles.

Are you kidding? Put it in the dishwasher? What would make you think of doing this?

strike2tamu
11-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Wirelessly posted (8100 Strike 2)

Wear latex gloves.

jhe888
11-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks. Yes, the dishwasher suggestion was a joke.

Dubdub
11-19-2008, 02:47 PM
As long as you feel confident that you won't break anything or get more dust ot fuzz or whatever. If it really isn't bad, why risk it?