PDA

View Full Version : Have i done the right thing?

rentawitch
11-24-2008, 09:59 AM
I have just got a Blackberry 8320. I wanted the Bold but i was withdrawn by Orange because it would not pass testing.

I did not fancy the Storm and now Vodafone have snaffled the market anyway.

but I am finding it quite difficult to get set up and do not find the blackberry intuitive.

Tell me that I shall love my BB when I get used to it?

AND can anyone tell me how to make the phone only forward non-spam e-mails?

Thank you guys. :)

djm2
11-24-2008, 10:32 AM
I believe that most people will tell you that the learning curve is a bit steeper for a BB than some other smart devices, so give it some time.

As for spam, make sure that your ISP has good spam filtering installed. Hopefully you are not planning on actively using the blackberry.net account.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.

rentawitch
11-24-2008, 12:53 PM
thank you for the welcome! :)
I registered for a blackberry orange email address but was not planning on actively using it.
My gmail account is virtually spam free it is btinternet which is the problem.
I can cope though so far!!

I will stick with the BB

I am a little confused about the maps. this is GPS but it isnt satnav is it?

Is there some add-on that will have the handset function as a satnav?

:)

Trimix
11-24-2008, 01:01 PM
FYI: the 8320 does not have GPS.

bigolsparky
11-24-2008, 01:05 PM
thank you for the welcome! :)

Is there some add-on that will have the handset function as a satnav?

:)

You can buy a GPS bluetooth puck.

ndub33
11-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Welcome to the forums!

The below link should be helpful in addressing some of your set up concerns and may also help clarify the "logic" of your Blackberry-the FAQ's are a great jumping off point for your Blackberry experience.

BlackBerry FAQ - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/BlackBerry_FAQ)

rentawitch
11-24-2008, 02:03 PM
FYI: the 8320 does not have GPS.

maybe I am calling it the wrong thing but it has maps and ways of getting directions. Is that not GPS? it says it can track me.
Perhaps i have the model number wrong it is the Curve Emerald

kjjb0204
11-24-2008, 05:57 PM
You have to enter a starting and ending point to get directions - no tracking needed for that. Just a mapping application. GPS abilities means your device has the GPS chip in it to find and lock on to the satellites and fix your position. Can't do it on the 8320 without and external GPS puck.

CO_BBTechie
11-24-2008, 06:07 PM
What you may be getting is position triangulation, which is a best guess estimate of your position based on your proximity to at least 3 cell towers. In this case, you may not even have to enter a starting position.

Additionally, you can further filter the emails that are delivered to your device by adding filters to your BIS account. Each carrier has their own portal site to administer your email accounts that are forwarding to your device.

urvec
11-24-2008, 06:29 PM
if this is your first bb, it might take some time for you to get used to it, but when you do, you will love it