PDA

View Full Version : AT&T BB Plans :What NOT to do....

Silversmok3
11-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Background:I work at an AT&T dealer ,so I'm pretty knowledgeable of how their system works.

That said,I made this mistake,and am writing this so that no newcomer experiences the following;

I started a new line last week with a Blackberry 8310 Curve.I bought the Blackberry from my boss at a discount,so I ran a little experiment.

I put our store demo SIM card into a blackberry pearl demo we had,to see if it made a difference whether the $15 Media Net (internet for regular phones) worked on a Blackberry.

Sure enough,it loaded the internet just fine.

My curiosity satisfied,I added the Media Net on my Blackberry and beat the system.

Until I logged in ,checked my own account at work and discovered a pending bill of $485!

Turns out the Blackberry's are likely registered differently than standard phones,at least on AT&T.So without a BB plan it will let you access the internet,but since AT&T can't detect a data plan it bills you at pay per kb(@<hidden> .15 per kb).

Moral of the story is don't be cheap.Get a BB data plan and do it right,ladies and gents.Had I not had access to my own account at work I would have been in a heap of trouble on the 17th next month.

RydinRuff
11-28-2008, 04:35 PM
that sucks