PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry + jmirc "Bad DNS Address"

Milleh
11-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Hi all,

My wife and I just picked up a set of Blackberry bolds (we are newbies), and I just dloaded jmirc and tried to connect, but I receive the following error:

cannot connect...exception: Bad DNS Address

I'm not sure how to fix this - does anyone have any experience with this? I am with rogers, in canada, for the APN I entered blackberry.net with username and password left blank.

Milleh
11-29-2008, 08:49 PM
I figured it out, the APN settings were wrong. I wish irc could be minimized so it could run in the background :(

blackberry_newbie2
12-15-2008, 11:15 PM
i'm guessing you put internet.com instead of blackberry.net? I'm using Jmirc but lately I keep on getting disconnected and right now I can;t seem to connect. the exact message is this

***Disconnected from server

I tried re-installing it but it seems to be like that. I don't know what the problem is

headtailgrep
01-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Hi guys. I've been using JMIRC for 4 years on Blackberries...

There are issues with JMIRC that the author has not fixed (as the codebase is no longer maintained by anyone). The problem lies in the fact J2ME apps on blackberries behave differently and most J2ME developers are in europe and do not have/own/use the blackberry platform nor the simulators..

Regardless, there are two main problems with JMIRC:

a) If you get disconnected frequently, most often this is due to BES. If you are on BES expect frequent disconnections unless your channel is very busy.

b) If you are on BIS, you should have little to no problems with stability, however your mileage may vary based on the carrier. Not all carriers have flawless tcp/ip on Blackberries. Thus, on BIS it is likely that you should be just fine..

c) If you are on a carrier that does not have proper TCP/IP support, you will see "tunnel failed" "error connecting". You would be advised to go the HTTP proxy route but this requires you to set up or find a known HTTP proxy.. (good luck!)

If you get "tunnel failed" some resolutions seem to indicate you need APN settings (options -> advanced -> APN) which are carrier specific: search these forums and look for your carriers APN settings which give you tcp/ip access. Note, most carriers have multiple APN's, one for intranet (private IP) and one for internet (public IP) amongst others. Calling your carriers support department and speaking to level 2 or level 3 tech support may also resolve your problems of "tunnel failed".

If you need to test tcp/ip, try MIDPSSH which is another J2ME application written and tested compatible with Blackberries.

Good luck. Hopefully in the near future someone will write a native IRC app for Blackberries, as there seems to be quite the demand for it, but no one has stepped up to the plate..