PDA

View Full Version : Dial your ISP

kheston
12-07-2008, 04:19 PM
I think I may have used the wrong title to describe this in another thread, so I started this new one. Thanks for looking.

I've read a number of posts about how one can use his/her BB as a USB modem to connect to their carrier's data network (dial #99 or #777, etc.). My problem is a bit different.

I have the $60/mo data plan that includes tethering and an unlimited voice plan, I'm essentially paying for the full banana. Data works great for me when I'm near home (EVDO is quite speedier than GSM/3G in my experience). However, twice a month I'm in an "Extended Network" 1X area where I can only make voice calls. Apparently, Verizon has contracted with the local cell tower owners for voice but not for data. When I try the data connection, the local guy's servers reject me with "username/password is not valid on the domain."

I've been told that if I had a Telular Phonecell SX5T I would be able to call any number I wanted using a standard telephone or modem (it's a CDMA device that has RJ11 jacks). One might infer from this fact that since an analog modem can dial a 10-digit PSTN number over the voice side of the network via this fixed cellular device that it just might work using my 8330 as a standard modem. If only I knew the right combination of hayes-compatible init commands and the other components of the secret sauce.

Every combination I've tried so far doesn't spawn the same I/O flashing arrows in the upper-right on my BB that calls to #777 do. Any way around this?