PDA

View Full Version : Synchronizing With Outlook 2003

wharfe
12-08-2008, 09:28 AM
I have an 8310 which for most things syncs ok with Outlook 2003 - not a company server edition. There are two Contacts lists in Outlook, the usual one for "Contacts" and one for a specific company I work with ie "Contacts xxxx" where xxxx is the company name. When I sync using Ver.4.6.0.12 I can see and access the regular "Contacts" but cannot see the "Contacts xxxx". Is it possible to sync both or must the two Contact books be joined into one standard list. Thanks for the assistance.

SteveO86
12-08-2008, 09:40 AM
No, you can only sync one contact folder. The only way to to sync both of those folders is to reconfigure then sync and then sync again.

You might want to combine the 2 contacts folder and just catorgorize them as Business/Personal.

montys
12-08-2008, 12:34 PM
How do I get DM 4.7 and an 8310 to see Outlook 2003?

I recently changed from an almost-dead 8300 to a newer 8310, and upgraded both the DM SW to 4.7.0.32 and the handheld OS to 4.5.0.99. As far as I can tell, everything is working fine between the DM and handheld (loader, backup/restore, etc.) and everything's operating correctly on the 8310.
The DM SW is straight from the RIM website, downloaded and installed just four days ago.

When I connect the older 8300 to DM, it syncs with Outlook without a problem.

But when the 8310 is connected and I try to configure the sync options, Outlook isn't one of my choices - I'm limited to ASCII or Yahoo (Address Book also adds Outlook Express as an option).

Thanks!
Monty

SteveO86
12-08-2008, 01:27 PM
How do I get DM 4.7 and an 8310 to see Outlook 2003?

I recently changed from an almost-dead 8300 to a newer 8310, and upgraded both the DM SW to 4.7.0.32 and the handheld OS to 4.5.0.99. As far as I can tell, everything is working fine between the DM and handheld (loader, backup/restore, etc.) and everything's operating correctly on the 8310.
The DM SW is straight from the RIM website, downloaded and installed just four days ago.

When I connect the older 8300 to DM, it syncs with Outlook without a problem.

But when the 8310 is connected and I try to configure the sync options, Outlook isn't one of my choices - I'm limited to ASCII or Yahoo (Address Book also adds Outlook Express as an option).

Thanks!
Monty

Normally I'd recommend opening your own thread....

Desktop Manager 4.7 should be fully compatible with Outlook '03, I would uninstall the Desktop Manager and make sure you delete all user data, then re-install 4.5/4.6. That is just what I would do, I know those 2 versions work since I've used them both personally. If it's not broke don't fix it :)

montys
12-08-2008, 08:07 PM
> Normally I'd recommend opening your own thread....

Thought about that but it seemed to be pretty appropriate for this thread

> Desktop Manager 4.7 should be fully compatible with Outlook '03, I would uninstall the Desktop Manager and make sure you delete all user data, then re-install 4.5/4.6. That is just what I would do, I know those 2 versions work since I've used them both personally. If it's not broke don't fix it :)

I didn't fully understand the answer - if DM4.7 is fully compatible with Outlook'03, why should I use a different version?

In any case, it didn't help but actually made things worse.
I removed all BB SW from the computer, deleted user data, and re-installed DM4.6. Not only does Outlook still not appear as one of the options for the new 8310, but it no longer syncs with the old 8300, either. With the 8300 connected, Outlook is no longer one of the configuration choices.

Now I'm really stuck - seems I have no way to sync either the older 8300 or the new 8310.

*UPDATE*

Well, I didn't *solve* the problem, just sorta made it go away by brute force. Re-installed DM4.2, which DID recognize Outlook, and configured the sync, figuring that once Outlook was configured for the new 8310, the config files would still be valid if I upgraded the DM.
Upgraded to DM4.7 and (most) all is well. The calendar's now goofed up with lots of double entries, but I'm done messin' with it...

Still curious why the new desktop manager wouldn't recognize Outlook.