PDA

View Full Version : Considering purchasing a blackberry 7730 as a PDA w/ Email

Xericx
10-23-2004, 02:12 AM
Hi,

Newbie here. I am considering purchasing a Blackberry 7730 basically to have wireless email AND have a PDA functionality. My main concern is with syncing two computers. I sync my calendar and my contacts on MS Outlook at work and with my computer at home.

How does the syncing work between two different computers (using the same Outlook "identity"). Will it just end up continuously duplicating my calendar entries...this is a deal killer...if I can't do it easily, I'm just going to end up getting a Pocket PC again (last one fell in water and drowned). Paramount importance is syncing my outlook...secondary is the email function, but I can use the email function and probably would frequently.

Thanks.

finch
10-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Hi,

Newbie here. I am considering purchasing a Blackberry 7730 basically to have wireless email AND have a PDA functionality. My main concern is with syncing two computers. I sync my calendar and my contacts on MS Outlook at work and with my computer at home.

No issues here, Blackberry's sync with Outlook. Myself I sync with Outlook at the office and Entourage on my Mac at home.

How does the syncing work between two different computers (using the same Outlook "identity"). Will it just end up continuously duplicating my calendar entries...this is a deal killer...if I can't do it easily, I'm just going to end up getting a Pocket PC again (last one fell in water and drowned). Paramount importance is syncing my outlook...secondary is the email function, but I can use the email function and probably would frequently.

The syncing of information will be based on the active identity but not in a sence that you'll need to specify that identity. You can configure to allow duplicates, myself I don't. When syncing at work any updates or changes made to my contacts, calendar, tasks, notes are reflected on BB these applicable changes will be applied to my home machine and vice-versa.

Thanks.

Xericx
10-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Thanks. On my pocket PC, I could only syncronize two computers max....can I do 3 on the blackberry (work, laptop, home computer)?

Fireproof
10-23-2004, 08:15 PM
Yes - you can synch as many as you like. Just install the appropriate software on each.

Xericx
10-23-2004, 08:33 PM
Thanks. My final choices for a PDA were between a Blackberry 7230 or 7730 and a Dell Axim X30...I really like the Pocket PC format....would you HIGHLY recommend a blackberry? Price isn't really a concern.

Any tips/concerns or anything?

Pstmstr
10-24-2004, 08:23 AM
If you are able to get email through your work to the BB, it is the obvious choice. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a PPC as a PDA device but is quite functional. One thing I really like about my new 7100T from Tmobile is that tasks are now able to be filtered by Category.

Neo
10-24-2004, 08:53 AM
It's really no comparison between a blackberry device and a normal PDA like Axim or even O2 etc... My PDA is collecting dust ever since I started on my 7730 one month's back!

Amazing how much work you can accomplish while taking a flight to another country on the little beauty!

Go for the 7730 if you need to travel around a bit or even need to have peaceful night sleep! :-)