PDA

View Full Version : Flv player (watching youtube on BB)

alexleuo
12-09-2008, 03:32 AM
We are working to develop a website to be usable for blackberry .but as this website contain flv player ( for showing video in flash format) , I would like to ask you if you have any similar experience with black berry

•Which BB models support flv player or can you see youtube videos?
•Generally does BB support swf ?

Your experience is very valuable for me
Cheers
Alex

akosnitzky
12-09-2008, 06:01 AM
Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

The devices don't have flash support but we are able to watch you Tube videos. This includes via the blackberry browser or opera mini.

egruber
12-09-2008, 09:44 AM
I wonder myself how this works because both browsers pass the FLV video from YouTube to the Blackberry Video Player. I tried to put an FLV file on the Blackberry directly, but the video player won't recognize it. Seems like a ridiculous limitation since FLV files occupy much less space than MP4 files (the type I usually use on the bberry.

scaevola
12-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Wirelessly posted (8300)

That's partly due to one major thing. Flash video is VERY processor intensive. Its not really much like an audio/video codec compared to MP4 and why its so hard to get them running on mobile low wattage/power processors. If I understand correctly

scaevola
12-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Wirelessly posted (8300)

For instance look at how much slower sites load when you have java script enabled. Like say crackberry.com takes me like 4 minutes to load the front page!

egruber
12-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Wirelessly posted (8300)

That's partly due to one major thing. Flash video is VERY processor intensive. Its not really much like an audio/video codec compared to MP4 and why its so hard to get them running on mobile low wattage/power processors. If I understand correctly

Then how does the Media Player handle YouTube FLV files? Does it convert the FLV to MP4 during the transfer? That can't be very efficient, either.

Redflea
12-09-2008, 04:43 PM
My understanding was that YouTube was doing a conversion on their end before sending anything to the BB.

egruber
12-10-2008, 10:30 AM
I guess that explains why it doesn't work very well. I would think it would be more efficient for the bberry to play native FLV files. That would save me a lot of local conversions, too.

Zuuuuuunt
12-18-2008, 12:12 PM
I usually convert YouTube video. Try MelodyCan YouTube Ripper as a plug-in for Internet Explorer. Supports MP4 and AVI, MP3 as output formats for video conversion