PDA

View Full Version : Please help me configure my browser settings for surfing web forums

Casper TFG
12-09-2008, 06:16 PM
I surf a lot of web forums, most are Vbulletin, many do not have WAP or mobile enabled 'skins'.

I am lost as for what to have ticked - what not to have ticked in the all the BB browser options.

I want the forums to be fixed inside the width of my BB screen, (I only want to be scrolling up and down.. not sideways)

I dont know if I need java, wml / html - I could do without the ads and smilies but if I DO need to see images to know where all the function buttons are - so be it ..

I have tried it without images (to get faster performance) but I am suffering overlapping text (have I got the font too big?) and it takes for ever to "loading style sheets" :cry:

My question really is - what browser configuration settings will assist web forums to load up fast on a BB.

I need all the drop down menus to operate etc..

So ... Lean and mean Browser setting suggestions for a forum addict please..

Many thanks in advance..

P.S. Confession - I am on an old OS 4.2.2.141 (sad but true) Before you kill me for not upgrading already, let me tell you I am a Mac user and its not that easy to upgrade with a Mac (OK, now kill me)

P.P.S - I am aware that THIS forum has a BB friendly WAP version (great!), its forums WITHOUT That sort of thing I need the settings for.. Thanks

jmwking
12-09-2008, 10:31 PM
I surf a lot of web forums, most are Vbulletin, many do not have WAP or mobile enabled 'skins'.

I am lost as for what to have ticked - what not to have ticked in the all the BB browser options.

I want the forums to be fixed inside the width of my BB screen, (I only want to be scrolling up and down.. not sideways)

I dont know if I need java, wml / html - I could do without the ads and smilies but if I DO need to see images to know where all the function buttons are - so be it ..

I have tried it without images (to get faster performance) but I am suffering overlapping text (have I got the font too big?) and it takes for ever to "loading style sheets" :cry:

My question really is - what browser configuration settings will assist web forums to load up fast on a BB.

I need all the drop down menus to operate etc..

So ... Lean and mean Browser setting suggestions for a forum addict please..

Many thanks in advance..

P.S. Confession - I am on an old OS 4.2.2.141 (sad but true) Before you kill me for not upgrading already, let me tell you I am a Mac user and its not that easy to upgrade with a Mac (OK, now kill me)

P.P.S - I am aware that THIS forum has a BB friendly WAP version (great!), its forums WITHOUT That sort of thing I need the settings for.. Thanks

I manage a vBul board (modest traffic: about 1,000 active members and 20k posts a month) and find Opera Mini in Mobile view works best for me. I don't do admin stuff from my BB, but do a good bit of moderating.

-jk

Casper TFG
12-10-2008, 03:17 AM
Wirelessly posted

Ha!

I am a forum moderato and I ALSO use Opera Mini!
But when I get an emailed notice's (I get a lot) its tedious to have to copy and paste each link into Opera Mini...

Also (probably like you) I find not all the moderation functions work (at least they don't on the stipped down version of Oper Mini that I like to run)

Mabey this is just one more 'I wish Opera Mini could be made the defalt browser' thread... Hehe

I am hoping there will be light at the end of the tunnel.I should be picking up a new BB 8900 in vary late December... Hopefully the browser on its OS 4.6 will be nice and fast with all the extra memory it has and I won't NEED to use Opera Mini any more...

Fingers crossed!

Thanks v much let's keep a dialog going..

Casper TFG
12-10-2008, 03:19 AM
Wirelessly posted

I am on Opera Mini 4.111328

What version are you using?

Casper TFG
12-10-2008, 03:23 AM
Wirelessly posted

I can never get the 'move to' dropdown menus to behave themselves (I find it hard to hilight the forum I want stuf moved to). Can I ask what boxes you have ticked on your Opera Mini settings please?

jmwking
12-11-2008, 05:57 PM
I have nothing fancy in my Opera Mini settings:

Load images on
-image quality low
-font size med
Mobile view on
VIsual effects off
Fullscreen mode on
Show overview on
Auto-complete on

I don't try to use the Admin CP from my BB. I don't need it and it doesn't "mobilize" well.

I can moderate just fine so long as I have a good signal that's not bouncing around. Regrettably, my signal at home routinely bounces between six or eight different cell sites - at least I have my computer handy.

"Thread tools" is about the only thing that consistently gives me much trouble: sometimes the page won't build correctly.

I prefer to use the BB Browser to look at reported posts directly from email. I don't log in on my BB Browser (where I'm always a guest) so it doesn't mess with my read/unread marks in Opera Mini (where I'm always logged in).

I like to move around between computers and my BB and I really prefer to keep my read/unread posts straight. Sometimes the bouncing signal will cause a page to not finish loading, but posts get marked as read. When I reload it I have to wade through the thread to find out where I was.

-jk

Casper TFG
12-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Thats a great help, it confirms my experience and that I wasn't going mad when I felt some functions would work sometimes and not others.

I use my BB for moderation but as you say - functionality can be patchy.

As I said I hope to get a 8900 before the end of the month - fingers crossed the 4.6 browser and faster processor might help.

Also when in range I would be using WiFi (a first for me - I have been on EDGE) Perhaps I can switch to the BB browser and ditch Opera Mini ? (I do like it though...)

Thanks again,

jmwking
12-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Thats a great help, it confirms my experience and that I wasn't going mad when I felt some functions would work sometimes and not others.

I use my BB for moderation but as you say - functionality can be patchy.

As I said I hope to get a 8900 before the end of the month - fingers crossed the 4.6 browser and faster processor might help.

Also when in range I would be using WiFi (a first for me - I have been on EDGE) Perhaps I can switch to the BB browser and ditch Opera Mini ? (I do like it though...)

Thanks again,

One thing I forgot to mention: on my board, I set the "Add No-Cache HTTP Headers" to Yes. Opera Mini seems to cache aggressively, and this helps.

-jk

twiney
12-12-2008, 02:50 PM
can anyone help me to connect my blackberry 8100 to my wrieless network at home it was lock to orange and it is on vodafone.ie now and it asking for a enterprise activation password

Casper TFG
12-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Wirelessly posted

Great, thanks.. I am going to go back and double check all those settings.