PDA

View Full Version : Pearl meltdown during upgrade

Oxojim
12-15-2008, 02:06 PM
When I started my BB Desktop Manager today, it said there were a lot of updates available for my Pearl 8110.

Since I haven't done any system updates on my own since I bought it at the beginning of November, I figured OK, these are system-generated updates, let's go.

It was taking a little while, so I went and bought lunch and came back. A message on the DM said it couldn't reconnect during a multiload operation, or something like that. My Pearl has the LED blinking red slowly, the screen is black and is non-responsive to any key press. Detaching and reattaching to the computer, exiting DM and re-starting it, all have no effect.

I have removed the battery a couple times, leaving it out for as much as 5 minutes, but as soon as the battery is back in it starts the red LED slowly blinking and won't do anything else.

Any suggestions? Or do I now own a paperweight?

Thatzmister2u
12-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Start here:

How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F)

Then here if that fails:

What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_to_do_next_if_Jl_Cmder_will_not_connect_and_wipe)

It may take numerous attempts to get this to connect. It is all in the timing of the reboot sequence. Be patient and keep trying.

Good Luck!

P.S. I am almost certain that your device is not a paperweight and will function again!

E-

NJBlackBerry
12-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Be sure to have the BB plugged into the back of your PC, and not in a hub. The "multiload" error indicates that the device is not getting enough current from the US connection.

Oxojim
12-15-2008, 04:08 PM
OK. Got the Pearl plugged directly into a USB plug in the front of the computer.

Tried Jl cmder to wipe the Pearl, about 10 times, no connection, no change. From the menu screen, I get instructions to type in the word "blackberry". I hit enter, it says connecting to device, then reverts to the menu. No change.

Tried the application loader sequence. Went fine up to "device application selection", where a grayed out text tells me "The BlackBerry Desktop Software does not have BlackBerry Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator."

At least it got the LED to stop blinking. But when I exit from it, the LED starts up again.

Any other suggestions?