PDA

View Full Version : Help prevent me from going insane

Smiggs1967
12-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Are you all prepared for a sad story?

I have a Blackberry 8800 (4.2 Operating system) , It was bought from ebay and was unlocked from Vodafone. I put a Orange SIM card in it and used it only to make and receive calls and also to send and receive SMS messages. It worked perfectly and I was happy , then I broke it !

I decided to buy a replacement from Ebay , this was also unlocked but this time from Orange , and it had the 4.5 operating system on it. It works perfectly with the same Orange SIM card that was in the previous Blackberry but with one exception. I can receive but cannot send SMS messages. When I am in any of the areas I would send a SMS from the option to compile a SMS is just not there. Please could one of you kind people help.

By the way I am based in Manchester England ! not sure if that makes a difference but I thought it best to let you know :-)

piester
12-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Wirelessly posted

Try downloading the latest os and upgrading. Then resend service books. This is assuming you already tried a battery pull

rambo47
12-20-2008, 07:44 PM
This new BB might have an IT Policy on it from a previous user. That could prevent some outgoing services like SMS.

mgerbasio
12-21-2008, 11:26 AM
There are two things I could think of, one, as rambo47 mentioned, you might have an old IT Policy that needs to be removed. You can search this forum as there is a fairly easy solution to wiping it. There's a sticky on one of the subforums. I don't loaded a program from crackberry.com that did an IT Policy wipe as well as other non-user functions, it was real easy to install and use. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll try and find it as I don't have that PC anymore.

The other thing to check is the SMS settings. Go to Options, SMS test and check these settings with what your carrier recommends. Since it was on Orange, and that's what you're using now, this is unlikely. I'd do the IT Policy wipe first.

Regards-Michael G.

Smiggs1967
12-22-2008, 09:16 AM
There are two things I could think of, one, as rambo47 mentioned, you might have an old IT Policy that needs to be removed. You can search this forum as there is a fairly easy solution to wiping it. There's a sticky on one of the subforums. I don't loaded a program from crackberry.com that did an IT Policy wipe as well as other non-user functions, it was real easy to install and use. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll try and find it as I don't have that PC anymore.

The other thing to check is the SMS settings. Go to Options, SMS test and check these settings with what your carrier recommends. Since it was on Orange, and that's what you're using now, this is unlikely. I'd do the IT Policy wipe first.

Regards-Michael G.

Michael , thanks a lot , it did the trick , I can now SMS to my hearts content. It must have been an IT Policy because once I followed your instruction my problem disappeared.

So thanks a lot and also big thanks to anyone who tried to help me:smile: