PDA

View Full Version : Total Newby Questions

jrwitt
12-21-2008, 05:43 PM
I am going to replace my current cell phone (Verizon) and my Palm PDA with a new Blackberry. I am thinking seriously of the Storm, but might consider one of the other models as long as it works with Verizon.

1st Q:
Does the Blackberry device come with some kind of desktop software that cover the functions I currently have with the Palm Desktop? The functions I need are Calendar, Contacts, and Tasks (ToDo). Do I need to install Outlook on my computer to sync these functions with the Blackberry? I make a lot of entries in my desktop Palm software then hotsync to the PDA. I have Windows Vista and Office 2007, but do not have Outlook yet. I am willing to install it if I need it. Some of the ads for the Storm say it comes with Blackberry desktop software, but don't say what this package does.

2nd Q:
I currently have two contact lists, one in the cell phone and one in the PDA. Does Blackberry use the same contact list for both the cellular side to make calls and the data side to store addresses? If not, is there a OEM app that will do this?

I guess these questions are enough to get me started. I am hoping to make a purchase in the next few days and I want to have any necessary software installed on my desktop to be able to sync the Blackberry.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Jack

JSanders
12-21-2008, 05:47 PM
1. No. RIM did not try to reinvent the wheel to design their own proprietary PIM application for PC. MS Outlook works quite well for that. Outlook will sync nicely and seamlessly with the BlackBerry.

2. Yes, the BlackBerry combines it all in one contact list. The cell phone will pull from the Address Book for it's numbers. You can store numbers on your SIM card but it is pointless, to me.

jrwitt
12-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Wow! Quick reply. Thanks for the info.

iBlackberry
12-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Hey Jack,

Welcome to the Blackberry World. . . . well, almost. . . To answer your question, yes. . . BB supports all the items you listed. It however, it handles these in a slightly different way. The BB desktop software does not store the information as you are used to with Palm. It is merely, a mechanism to replicate the data to a mail or PIM program like outlook. It supports Outlook, and some others that are less prevalent in the non-enterprise environment. You will want to use Outlook to store the information and interact with it on the desktop side.

BB uses only one contact list (thank God). Everything will be store in the contact list, and synced back to outlook contacts when you connect the device vis USB or Bluetooth. However, if you have Exchange, and a BES, and you opt for a BES package for the phone, that will all be seamless. I have the complete package, and very rarely connect my phone to the pc.

The bottom line is, the bb supports everything you are used to, however, in a lightly different way. If you have an open mind, and don't mind small changes to your workflow, then you should have no problem making the transition.

JSanders
12-21-2008, 05:54 PM
the bb supports everything you are used to, however, in a lightly different way. If you have an open mind, and don't mind small changes to you workflow, then you should have no problem making the transition.

...and that is key. Just remember, it is a different OS and platform. RIM didn't copy the Palm to get started, so some of the basics will be different.

jrwitt
12-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the fast response.

Can you tell me a little more about Exchange and BES? Maybe a website?

A little learning curve (small changes) is fine as long as I can get up and running with the three basic functions I listed ASAP. Then I can take my time to learn the rest and add whatever other apps I might want.

I will be so glad to go to only one device to carry with me.

JSanders
12-21-2008, 06:03 PM
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/150739-comparing-blackberry-internet-service-blackberry-enterprise-server-features.html

Remember, a lot of questions have asked before. Search the site and read. And, mostly, check out the great FAQ site here. See my sig below.

iBlackberry
12-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Well, there are several factors to consider. If you work with a large company, and you don't currently have a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) "bolted" onto exchange, then your out of luck. Trying to influence change in corporate IT departments is near impossible, and the BES acquisition is not a cheap process. If you are more of an independent, there are solution available.

In the past, I worked for a mid sized company without bes support. I added my corporate email address using BIS (Blackberry Internet Service) and bought a domain, got a hosted exchange account with mailstreet, and added the BES for $10 a month. This allowed me the functionality I needed.

The bottom line is, BIS is fine. It works great. To the end user, BES only really allows over the air replication of the data. Something that may or may not be usefull to you. (If you have 3rd parties making appointments, adding contacts, replying on your behalf, this would be essential, as it was for me) On the enterprise management side, BES allows for policy deployment and management. A huge benefit to keep data secure.

I hope this helps.