PDA

View Full Version : Unlocked or Locked

PaulyBoyBeef
12-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi! New to all this blackberry and eBay purchasing of phones.
The phone was advertised as unlocked. When it arrived it was locked.. oe. "Invalid SIM" error. I contacted the seller and he said that he had it unlocked for UK networks only!

I disputed this as I cannot find anywhere on the web which says that it is possible to unlock a phone only for a particular country (this was a UK Vodafone Storm BTW).

I asked him to provide evidence of how he "unlocked this phone" or otherwise I would report him. He has not come back. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt so if anyone out there can show me or has experience of being able to unlock UK Storm only for UK networks then please can you post a link here.

Many thanks...

TroyDBrown
12-23-2008, 05:39 PM
The phone is unlocked or it is not. It is not regional.

If this ends up turning bad and you are stuck with the phone contact forum sponsor HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, The World’s Cellular Repair Center (http://www.horizonwirelessonline.com) they will hook you up.

PaulyBoyBeef
12-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Hi! Thought so.. I forgot to mention that I got the phone unlocked and am so far very pleased with it.. Have you got anywhere on the web or a doc somewhere to backup that statement "unlocked or not".. Need this evidence I guess to backup my claim.. Thanks for your quick reply!

TroyDBrown
12-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Hi! Thought so.. I forgot to mention that I got the phone unlocked and am so far very pleased with it.. Have you got anywhere on the web or a doc somewhere to backup that statement "unlocked or not".. Need this evidence I guess to backup my claim.. Thanks for your quick reply!

I don't know where to point you for that. You can point the seller here! I hate people that play games like that.

JSanders
12-23-2008, 05:46 PM
I have never ever heard of regional unlock. Honestly, as troy said, it is either unlocked or locked. There is no twain.

Sort of like a virgin or not, there is no in between!

rambo47
12-23-2008, 05:48 PM
That's the cool thing about GSM. It's universal and not bound by any regional shenanigans. A quad-band GSM phone will work anywhere in the world where they operate on GSM.

TroyDBrown
12-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Sort of like a virgin or not, there is no in between!

You are wrong Jsanders! I can be a regional virgin. ;-)

monkeypaw
12-23-2008, 06:08 PM

Just report the seller anyway. He's not going to have evidence that it was unlocked so he can't dispute anything. If he does, then you can report the info back here and we'll all have learned something new.

If it were still locked you could have proved by these steps:

Scroll to and select the Options icon.
Scroll to and select Advanced Options.
Scroll to and select SIM Card.
Type MEPD

But since it's unlocked, all will now show disabled.