PDA

View Full Version : 8220 vs. 8320 DEATHMATCH

anawrahta
12-26-2008, 05:00 PM
I am looking to purchase a new bb to replace my 8300 that was destroyed in an unfortunate incident involving some gerbils, a long pvc tube and a bottle of stolichnaya.

I've basically got it down to 8220 and the 8320. The 8900 is also a looker but because of the economocalypse I need the extra money for booze.

My questions are:
Are the start up times on these phones decent compared to each other and the 8300? My old curve seemed to have microsoft word 6.0 starting in the background when it booted.

What is the Chinese input like on these phones compared to each other and the 8300? Is it the same old thing, or have things improved to more intelligent sentence generation?

Web browsing over Wi-Fi. What is it like with the new browser in OS 4.5 or 4.6? Is it a respectable speed or is slow as molasses? I know the Bold, Thunder and Javelin all have the new processors, while these two phones do not, so I wonder how they hold up.

Durability. The curve was good, but I had to have the trackball replaced because I didn't initially use the leather sheath. That thing added bulk. I like the form factor of the flip over the 8320, but prefer the full qwerty keyboard. Will the flip handle my drinking escapades?

kjjb0204
12-26-2008, 05:41 PM
I think before anyone offers any advice, we need to hear more about this gerbil incident.

piester
12-26-2008, 07:18 PM
definetly. need to know more. i mean if the gerbil is still in the picture you may want the 8220 as its smaller. but the 8320 wouls probably be easier for him or her to type on

rachamphetamine
12-26-2008, 07:53 PM
I think before anyone offers any advice, we need to hear more about this gerbil incident.

I third this.

JSanders
12-26-2008, 08:05 PM
I read on Crackberry of users involving gerbils with their BlackBerrys. I don't think it is wise to drink and gerbil at the same time.

I would instead suggest that you load CAT 4.5 in your house.

anawrahta
12-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Well, the gerbils are fine, but the blackberry curve is not. Needless to say, lessons were learned and future blackberries will not be involved.

As an additional question, one that is perplexing me...say I purchase a Rogers locked blackberry, either the 8220 or 8320. I get it unlocked, and put in another carriers sim card. Will the browser be available?

kjjb0204
12-26-2008, 09:20 PM
Start up time isn't great.
As for Chinese input, I'm Chinese, and my input is that you should get one.
Wifi web browsing is decent, not like a pc, but decent enough.
Durable as any other bb in my opinion.
Regarding if the flip will handle your drinking - spouses usually get pretty pissed off with excessive drinking, the flip shouldn't get too upset.

kjjb0204
12-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Well, the gerbils are fine, but the blackberry curve is not.

Score that:

Gerbils, 1; BlackBerry 0

takeshi
12-26-2008, 11:03 PM
All BB's are very slow to start from a cold boot.

As an additional question, one that is perplexing me...say I purchase a Rogers locked blackberry, either the 8220 or 8320. I get it unlocked, and put in another carriers sim card. Will the browser be available?
Yup. Lotsa people use unlocked BB's on other carriers.

anawrahta
12-26-2008, 11:25 PM
All BB's are very slow to start from a cold boot.

Yup. Lotsa people use unlocked BB's on other carriers.

Cool, I just wanted to confirm this because I was reading through the BBFAQ and somewhere in there it made it seem like it wasn't possible to use the browser, instead you'd have to use a third party app like opera.

I know for a fact though that my HKCSL 8300's browser worked fine on China Mobile, however that phone came unlocked, and because I would imagine many people did what I was doing, they planned it like that. With Rogers, I know they won't even unlock the phone for you, so it wouldn't surprise me if they only allowed access to the browser on their sims.