PDA

View Full Version : Different Desktop Manager on Different Computers

Big Foot
12-26-2008, 05:48 PM
New member, previous lurker.
Tried a search to no avail.

My wife and I just bought Curves (Sprint).

We loaded the desktop manager disc and did not upgrade to version 4.7 online. We transferred the calendar from my Treo 700p with no problem on Windows XP because that is where my palm was connected. Now we are using outlook to sync with my curve and my wife's curve (palm calendar is better but we will live).

So we have two new curves with no upgraded software (Sprint) and want to sync with each other and more than one computer.

My question: If we want to use our Vista Computer to sync with our curves, can we use the new 4.7 version of the desktop manager on Windows Vista and still sync with the 4.3 version of desktop manager we just installed on the XP computer?

Will there be a problem? Can we sync with two or three computers? Does the Desktop Manager version need to be the same on every computer?

Thanks in advance, I already learned a lot here and know we will love the curves.

Big Foot

SteveO86
12-26-2008, 06:10 PM
My question: If we want to use our Vista Computer to sync with our curves, can we use the new 4.7 version of the desktop manager on Windows Vista and still sync with the 4.3 version of desktop manager we just installed on the XP computer?

Vista can bring forth it's own issues you are better off isntalling it and if you run into any problems, just post back here.

Will there be a problem? Can we sync with two or three computers? Does the Desktop Manager version need to be the same on every computer?

You can sync with as many computer you want as long as Outlook and the Desktop Manager is installed on it... The biggest concern is remembering where you sync'ed last.

Big Foot
12-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Vista can bring forth it's own issues you are better off isntalling it and if you run into any problems, just post back here.

You can sync with as many computer you want as long as Outlook and the Desktop Manager is installed on it... The biggest concern is remembering where you sync'ed last.

So do you recommend going with 4.7 on Vista or just using the CD and installing DM 4.3 on Vista (like I did on XP)?

I could put outlook on Vista, but when I check Vista's programs, it says the new Vista Calendar replaced outlook. I have Outlook 2003 on the XP. We never used outlook before now. (we just beamed our palms when needed). Should I install outlook on Vista or see if it works with the Vista calendar?

Thanks in advance.

Big

SteveO86
12-26-2008, 07:07 PM
I had Outlook and the Desktop Manager on Vista.

I would give it a shot if it makes your life easier and that is what you want to do.. Once it's setup it shouldn't break.

outlook will be your primary PIM manager for Contacts/Calendar/Notes/Tasks, so once you get use to Outlook and the sync is setup you should be fine.

As far as the Desktop Manager, you can use 4.5, 4.6, or 4.7 their really isn't too much different from those three. So you can use 4.5 if you don't want to take the "risk" with 4.7, choice is up to you.

Big Foot
12-27-2008, 04:02 PM
so you think it would work to have Desktop Manager 4.7 downloaded for the Vista computer and still use the current Desktop manager 4.3 on the XP?

Would I be able to sync on both very different computers?

Do I even need outlook when Vista has its own calendar?

takeshi
12-27-2008, 08:13 PM
so you think it would work to have Desktop Manager 4.7 downloaded for the Vista computer and still use the current Desktop manager 4.3 on the XP?

Would I be able to sync on both very different computers?

Do I even need outlook when Vista has its own calendar?
Yes.

Yes.

Depends on whether you need more than just the calendar. Keep in mind that more devices sync with Outlook than the Vista calendar (in case you decide to switch in the future).

Big Foot
12-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Yes.

Yes.

Depends on whether you need more than just the calendar. Keep in mind that more devices sync with Outlook than the Vista calendar (in case you decide to switch in the future).

Thank you.
Thank you.
and thank you.

I'm going to take the plunge. I just found labels in outlook so I can use different colors for different family members scheduled events. Maybe I can make outlook similar to Palm desktop, now if I could just get google sync to actually sync with my gmail calendar as well as it does with my gmail contacts . . .