PDA

View Full Version : 8800 OTA OS Upgrade and suggestions?

Wavester
12-30-2008, 12:14 PM
I've run into a common problem with this model in that the USB port gets damaged and will not connect to the device. This just happened on one of the older 8800 models that is no longer covered by warranty. I have replaced it with an 8820 and I now have a bold. I would like to keep the 8800 though. I have plenty of that model batteries so I can charge them in another device.

I wanted to upgrade the OS and the data. I have the memory card, but I do not have a bluetooth computer. For some reason my latest Thinkpad did not have it installed.

Can I somehow get the OS and the data onto the 8800 posting it on a website online then browsing it or loading something onto the media card and transferring it?

I realize the OS is an exe file. IF i did a backup of a working 8800 model then posted the backup online I know I could browse the file but I don't know if it would install and I doubt it would intall the OS with the data, but I'm not sure.

Just a fun project. There is no dire need

soupandsandwich
12-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Not possible by any means.
The 8800 can only have an OS update performed via USB cable.

JSanders
12-30-2008, 12:22 PM
S&S is correct. Not possible.

You can buy a USB replacement port cheaply, if you really like to tinker.

Wavester
12-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Tinker? Me trying to install a USB would be a disaster. I just wanted to figure something out then pat myspef on the back and feel smart lol ... even if I had to as someone from BBF for a solution ;)

JSanders
12-30-2008, 12:42 PM
I just thought some cool soldering, hot metal, BB guts and all could be another fun project!