PDA

View Full Version : The best phone for business. Ever. ?

Dirky
01-03-2009, 02:13 PM
It's a bold claim, about the iPhone, is it true??

I switched to an iPhone for 1 week, I have my doubts about that sweeping statement. Read my blog entry here:-

Mike Dent’s ‘ickle Home (thing)… (http://www.g6phf.co.uk/)

ezrunner
01-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Wirelessly posted (hope is everything!)

Iphone best for business? There are many whom support devices in the business environment that I am sure will disagree

Helmdawg
01-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Hardly, but to each his own!! I will stick with my BB for work and pleasure! ;-)

monkeypaw
01-03-2009, 02:48 PM
I'll quote one of my marketing professors, "When it comes to marketing, perception is reality."

Doesn't matter if it's true or not, if people believe it, units will sell. Apple understands this in a big way.

rambo47
01-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Apple LOVES to make these polarizing, sweeping, generalities. The Apple Faithful™, of which I'm generally one, tends to believe whatever comes out of Steve Jobs' mouth. Somehow I dodged the iPhone RDF (Reality Distortion Field) and have no desire to own one. It's quite possibly the OLNY piece of Apple kit I don't own. I don't think it's even a good cell phone, let alone a business/smart phone, let alone the "Best Business Phone Ever".

Let us not forget the Anti-iPhone Web Page (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone). Although the author is quite bitter about the iPhone and Apple in general, it's a pretty darn funny page and does contain some truths.

UncleMike
01-03-2009, 04:45 PM

I switched to an iPhone for 1 week, I have my doubts about that sweeping statement. Read my blog entry here:-

How many iPhone threads do we need with a brief lead-in followed by a link to your blog?

Dirky
01-03-2009, 05:10 PM
How many iPhone threads do we need with a brief lead-in followed by a link to your blog?

Oooh, I don't know Mike. Probably a few more yet :)

roofus
01-04-2009, 08:48 AM

C'mon . . . . what do you expect them to say in their ads? . . . . "it's the second best business phone"? . . . . . it's an ad promoting their phone . . . . just like your post is an ad promoting your blog.:razz:

Dirky
01-04-2009, 09:41 AM
C'mon . . . . what do you expect them to say in their ads? . . . . "it's the second best business phone"? . . . . . it's an ad promoting their phone . . . . just like your post is an ad promoting your blog.:razz:

Well they should more likely say "A great business phone!"

rambo47
01-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Steve Jobs believes that as long as people are talking about your product, it's a good thing. Remember this:

"... You can quote them, disagree with them glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them, because they change things."

That pretty much sums up Apple's opinion of itself and it's products. As long as you're talking about them they're making a difference.

edit: For all you non-fanboys, that's from Apple's "Here's to the Crazy Ones" ad campaign.

ArgonNJ
01-04-2009, 11:19 AM
The iphone isn't there yet, but it also hasn't been around very long. Given time and the proper development, I can definitely see it becoming a formidable tool for the business user. On the other side of the coin, RIM is going to have to do some serious re-thinking of it's OS. Its a bit long in the tooth and it doesn't hold a candle to the potential of the iphone's mini OSX operating system.

rambo47
01-04-2009, 11:26 AM
I am of the opinion that the BB web browser is a glaring weak point. It's just plain slow.

scott_see
01-04-2009, 12:27 PM
It depends on which is more important to you, email or web. Got to have the keys of a BB for typing email, but the iPhone browser is hugely superior. I don't have the iPhone, but I've got the iTouch. The browser's amazing.

But for me, I'm an email junkie and I've got to have buttons I can feel to type quickly.

ArgonNJ
01-04-2009, 12:53 PM
It depends on which is more important to you, email or web. Got to have the keys of a BB for typing email, but the iPhone browser is hugely superior. I don't have the iPhone, but I've got the iTouch. The browser's amazing.

But for me, I'm an email junkie and I've got to have buttons I can feel to type quickly.

What if Apple released an iphone with a slid out keyboard and offered "BB like" email.

SteveO86
01-04-2009, 02:07 PM
What if Apple released an iphone with a slid out keyboard and offered "BB like" email.

(Assuming the iPhone adapted MDS/Push like ability)

I don't think it would be considered the greatest business phone at that point. Considering everything is done via appstore/iTunes, so I think security and managability would be big point and that something RIM still has. Not to mention the fact BlackBerry can be intergrated in PBX/VOIP/UM in the right enviroment. So I think BlackBerry would still would have the advantage.

(Of course we are entering the realm of personal preference at this point)

UncleMike
01-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Oooh, I don't know Mike. Probably a few more yet :)

Hahaha! Thanks for the laugh. :) I enjoyed reading the blog, BTW.